User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 26 Nov 2002, 21:41   #1
MonotoneMan

Now this is unnerving.

I found this in "My Documents" on my computer:

Quote:
gomer signs his name in capital letters. uncountable times.

GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE

.............ETC.............

GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE GOMER PILE

i think i have made my point.

-gomer pile
"YOURE SO UGLY YOU COULD BE A MODERN ART MASTERPIECE!"
Now, I used to go under the name "gomer pile" on a different forum, and I recognize the quote at the end as being from Full Metal Jacket, and I may have used it as a signature for a while, but I have absolutely no recollection of making that file. Most likely, it was one of the many things that I posted, then copied and pasted to Word so I could easily re-post it to piss off the mods.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 21:43   #2
Cocaine

thats not very interesting
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 21:50   #3
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Cocaine
thats not very interesting
I have Pi to 10k decimal places in a word doc on my hard drive.

I used to post it to piss off the mods...
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:24   #4
mogrika

Quote:
Originally posted by Belgarath The Sorcerer

I have Pi to 10k decimal places in a word doc on my hard drive.

I used to post it to piss off the mods...
http://www.3141592653589793238462643...097494459.com/
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:24   #5
Cocaine

i have the largest prime number on my hd. its a 2/3 meg text file :/
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:25   #6
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:

There is no 'largest' prime number.

Perhaps you mean the largest known prime.

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:27   #7
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
i have a 14mb text file on mine....

(it's a database backup)
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:29   #8
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Originally posted by Sarina_Joy

There is no 'largest' prime number.

Perhaps you mean the largest known prime.
You are right, but you knew what he meant. Related, the proof for that is quite beautiful (the original one. Perhaps there have been others?)

Anyway, I simply can't believe that www.314159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459.com was available for the taking.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:37   #9
Red
Reborn

Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
what about ("the largest prime number")!+1?

Ignorance is a bliss unless you die of it
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:44   #10
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis
It's a simple proof by contradiction.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:48   #11
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:

It's a simple proof by contradiction.
simple proofs are beautiful.

Those 700 page fockers are ugliness incarnate.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:49   #12
Jammers

Jammers has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally posted by Red

what about ("the largest prime number")!+1?

that wouldn't be a prime number, since it would be divisible by 2 (at the very least)
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:54   #13
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
Originally posted by Jammers

that wouldn't be a prime number, since it would be divisible by 2 (at the very least)
not it wouldn't. note the +1, it would be one higher than an even number, and therefore not even.

(obviously (high prime number)!+1 doesn't automatically give a higher prime, but it is a neat enough try that I'm going to just wait for someone else's ex.)

Last edited by acropolis; 26 Nov 2002 at 22:59.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 23:38   #14
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Quote:

not it wouldn't. note the +1, it would be one higher than an even number, and therefore not even.

(obviously (high prime number)!+1 doesn't automatically give a higher prime, but it is a neat enough try that I'm going to just wait for someone else's ex.)
If I recall the proof is something along the lines of...

Let us assume there exists a largest prime number. We shall call this number P. Then there are a finite number of primes, a,b,c,d.........P

Now consider the number a*b*c*d*.........*P + 1

call this number N

By our assumption this number can't be prime since P is the largest prime.

We can check by division

N/a = b*c*d*....*P +1/a thus a does not divide N
N/b = a*c*d*.....*P +1/b thus b does not divide N
N/P =a*b*c*d............ + 1/P thus P does not divide N

Therefore N must be prime.

This contradicts our assumption that P is the largest prime since N>P
Hence there is no largest prime.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 23:46   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Doesn't have to involve a largest prime. The proof is still valid if you just have 2 primes and add the possiblity of a smaller prime.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 23:48   #16
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:

*beautiful proof*
Wasn't that Euler?

Anyway, that's what all proofs should look like. If it doesn't fit on a page, I won't be able to pay attention long enough.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 23:49   #17
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri

Shush you!
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 23:49   #18
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Wasn't that Euler?
No.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 23:56   #19
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Quote:
Wasn't that Euler?

Euclid I think.
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 00:04   #20
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Heh. What's 2000 years anyway.
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 09:13   #21
Cyp
∞+♪˛

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Jammers

Note the "!", meaning to multiply all whole numbers up to that number.

Quote:
Originally posted by mogrika

http://www.3141592653589793238462643...097494459.com/
How come I can type the address of that site from memory?
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote