User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:08   #1
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
"Fatwa" death sentence for Nigerian journalist

Quote:
A state in northern Nigeria has decreed an Islamic fatwa death sentence on the author of a newspaper story on the Miss World pageant. The piece sparked riots in which over 200 people were killed."What we are saying is that the Holy Koran has clearly stated that whoever insults the Prophet of Islam, Mohammad, should be killed," Zamfara State Commissioner for Information Umar Dangaladima Magaji said.

Muslims were angered by the report which suggested the Prophet Mohammad would have approved of the pageant.
From http://uk.news.yahoo.com/021126/140/dfhv8.html.

Whoever insults the Prophet Mohammad should be killed? Really? What about the parts in the Qu'ran that say that life is a gift from Allah and only Allah should decide when to take it away, which is basically the Muslim version of "thou shalt not kill"? And who decides what is an insult and what isn't an insult anyway? Ok, 200 people died in the ensuing riots, but surely that doesn't detract from the fact that there is a lot of self-contradiction and double standards about this decision and statement?

(Incidentally, i'm not a Muslim, but that is what i've been taught that the Qu'ran says.)

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:16   #2
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: "Fatwa" death sentence for Nigerian journalist

Quote:
Originally posted by Mushroom

From http://uk.news.yahoo.com/021126/140/dfhv8.html.

Whoever insults the Prophet Mohammad should be killed? Really? What about the parts in the Qu'ran that say that life is a gift from Allah and only Allah should decide when to take it away, which is basically the Muslim version of "thou shalt not kill"? And who decides what is an insult and what isn't an insult anyway? Ok, 200 people died in the ensuing riots, but surely that doesn't detract from the fact that there is a lot of self-contradiction and double standards about this decision and statement?

(Incidentally, i'm not a Muslim, but that is what i've been taught that the Qu'ran says.)
Generally we only hear about the very PC parts of the Koran. The rest is all killing and maiming etc.

Incidentally, probably the only reason I could imagine myself going muslim is for the power to issue fatwas. I'd be spitting em out left and right.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:16   #3
Idi

Its probably not as straight forward as all that?
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:17   #4
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Re: "Fatwa" death sentence for Nigerian journalist

Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis
Generally we only hear about the very PC parts of the Koran. The rest is all killing and maiming etc.
Somewhat like The Bible, then.

We have to play down all that 'smiting' business, I suppose.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:18   #5
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Re: "Fatwa" death sentence for Nigerian journalist

Quote:
Incidentally, probably the only reason I could imagine myself going muslim is for the power to issue fatwas. I'd be spitting em out left and right.
I'm not even sure whether that chappie and his chums are within their power under Sharia law to do that.

I don't think any Joe Blogs can issue fatwas. At least I was under that impression.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:22   #6
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
They arent savages, they are just morally disadvantaged.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:23   #7
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Re: Re: "Fatwa" death sentence for Nigerian journalist

Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson

I'm not even sure whether that chappie and his chums are within their power under Sharia law to do that.

I don't think any Joe Blogs can issue fatwas. At least I was under that impression.
That's why I would be the Muslim Pope. (Or uber-mullah if you prefer).
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:24   #8
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation Re: Re: Re: Re: "Fatwa" death sentence for Nigerian journalist

Quote:
That's why I would be the Muslim Pope. (Or uber-mullah if you prefer).
You could try and revive the Caliphate.

But you have to be a relative of Mohammed and of his tribe to be Caliphate. Summat like that.

As you may have gathered, my intrest in Muslim Theology only extends so far.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:25   #9
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Religion as a whole is ridiculous.

Belief is not.

But even in the terms of religion, thank fk im in a mostly christian country.

I dont know how this will be viewed, as racist or whatever.

But so many of the views of Islam & co are so unbelievably primitive and RIDICULOUS that i pity people being brought up with them.

"Honour killings"

**** off

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:27   #10
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Deffeh
But so many of the views of Islam & co are so unbelievably primitive and RIDICULOUS that i pity people being brought up with them.
Which ones?
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:29   #11
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Take honour killings for a start.

Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:30   #12
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Your arrogant lack of true multicultural tolerance is typical of the white-man's eurocentric mindset.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:30   #13
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Which ones?
The bit about god for instance.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:31   #14
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Re: Re: "Fatwa" death sentence for Nigerian journalist

Quote:

Basically, any Islamic cleric can issue a fatwa (a "legal" pronouncement based on religious law), and they don't seem too particular on who can be considered a cleric.

Jerry Falwell issues them all the time.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:32   #15
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Which ones?
Women.
Gimme a few minutes and i'll think of some others.
I do agree with Deffeh on the point that some of their beliefs/traditions seem rather... well, archaeic by our standards.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:33   #16
SectorX

This is so sickening, its almost amusing.

Almost.

Let's just nuke the middle east.

Any objections?

Oh, you?

I don't care.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:35   #17
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by SectorX
Let's just nuke the middle east.
Nigeria isn't....oh never mind.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:36   #18
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
Your arrogant lack of true multicultural tolerance is typical of the white-man's eurocentric mindset.
Although i believe religion has a place in soceity, i dont believe it has a SAY in soceity. I enjoy being a Christian Protestant. Nothing is demanded of me or enforced on me. I have essentially no religion.

Why is religion viewed as something we have to have?

And why on earth nod, should i have to be tolerant of someone elses "right" to extract primal revenge?

Its not right.

Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:37   #19
SectorX

Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
Nigeria isn't....oh never mind.
Its to the left a little.

A nice breeze to the left, and it'll solve the problem.

Besides, we don't want to piss off the Chinese.

They might stab us with those Ninja Stars.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:39   #20
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
And why on earth nod, should i have to be tolerant of someone elses "right" to extract primal revenge?
Objectivists (or Randoids, whatever) don't use the term "eurocentric" except when mocking.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:39   #21
Nodrog

Quote:

Although i believe religion has a place in soceity, i dont believe it has a SAY in soceity. I enjoy being a Christian Protestant. Nothing is demanded of me or enforced on me. I have essentially no religion.
I might not have been totally serious.

I cant believe people are actually debating this rationally.

[Edit - Im not an objectivist]
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:40   #22
SectorX

Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
I might not have been totally serious.

I cant believe people are actually debating this rationally.
Yes

I believe rationality flew out the window when we pissed off Mohammed.

Because once Mohammed gets pissed, it's like...A dead guy from thousands of years ago trying to come back and kill you.

Watch out.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:42   #23
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Nigeria is only half Muslim half Christian, btw.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:44   #24
SectorX

I don't like Christians either.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:48   #25
Cyp
∞+♪²

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Iniluki
<pedant>

Ninja's are from Japan, not China

</pedant>

[pedant]You should use the square brackets, to be compatible with the forums. These forums don't allow HTML codes.[/pedant]
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:50   #26
SectorX

Quote:
<pedant>

Ninja's are from Japan, not China

</pedant>
China takes credit for everything Japan does.

And they look the same.

And I'm racist.

I see no difference, China Man.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:51   #27
SectorX

Quote:

<pedant>As far as I know vbb doesnt have a "pedant" tag, whereas I could have a pedant tag in xml. Therefore I am being xml complient</pedant>
<pedant>I don't know what pedant means, but I felt I should point out that my wang is much, much, much larger than yours.</pedant>
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:55   #28
Cyp
∞+♪²

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

<pedant>As far as I know vbb doesnt have a "pedant" tag, whereas I could have a pedant tag in xml. Therefore I am being xml complient</pedant>
[pedant]"<pedant>" won't end up being xml complient on these forums, as it automatically gets substituted with "&amp;lt;pedant&amp;gt;", so you might as well use square brackets to comply with vb standards for future compatibility with a "[pedant]" tag.[/pedant]
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:58   #29
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by SectorX
I don't like Christians either.
Christians stopped killing heretics and blasphemers several centuries ago; which has rendered them a lot less harmful.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 18:58   #30
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

China is the centre of The Universe. So you can all stop feeling so important now.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 19:01   #31
SectorX

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus

Christians stopped killing heretics and blasphemers several centuries ago; which has rendered them a lot less harmful.
So?

I still don't like Christians.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 19:24   #32
Trevize

I dont find this thread at all interesting, I was just fascinated by the word 'fatwa'. Small things, as they say.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 19:52   #33
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
I have noticed that most eastern-named places are full of barbarians.

Eastern Europe,
The Far East (dog eating panda killing rice farmers)
The Middle East
London's east End (thug heaven)

If we nuked all of these places, we would have no need for racism, because there would be nobody to be racist against. Not that I think we should, or I think that we wouldn't find something else to be prejudice against....
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 19:52   #34
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/2514821.stm
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 19:53   #35
Trevize

Dont be silly, the nuclear fallout or whatever you call it from hitting the East End of London would spread into the West End :/
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 19:54   #36
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyp

[pedant]"<pedant>" won't end up being xml complient on these forums, as it automatically gets substituted with "&amp;lt;pedant&amp;gt;", so you might as well use square brackets to comply with vb standards for future compatibility with a "[pedant]" tag.[/pedant]
I have started being pedantic. There is no pedant code on this forum, so there is no need to be put "[pedant]" or "<pendant>" when being pedantic. It is clear when you are being pedantic anyway. I have finished being pedantic.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 19:55   #37
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevize
Dont be silly, the nuclear fallout or whatever you call it from hitting the East End of London would spread into the West End :/
"Spend money to make money"
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 20:00   #38
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Quote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/2514821.stm
Quote:
It is binding on all Muslims wherever they are, to consider the killing of the writer as a religious duty
Am i the only person who finds this sort of talk from a supposedly religious man disturbing?

George Bernard Shaw
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 20:02   #39
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Am i the only person who finds this sort of talk from a supposedly religious man disturbing?
Considering the talk that you get from 'Supposedly religious people' all around the world, no, I can't say I am. I find it exceptionally disturbing, but not in the context of him being a priest or anything.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 20:03   #40
SectorX

Quote:
Heh.

Have you learned nothing about religious people in your life?
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 20:05   #41
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Ian Paisley and friends come to mind at this point.

Mind you, he did essentially 'buy' his title of 'reverend' in America, so I'm not sure if he counts as a 'religious man'.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 20:56   #42
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus

Basically, any Islamic cleric can issue a fatwa (a "legal" pronouncement based on religious law), and they don't seem too particular on who can be considered a cleric.
Sounds to me like I'll be fatwaing away soon enough

Quote:

Not all religions are against killing.

Anyway, I have Important Informations here. A theological comparison.

As I can see it, the important advantages of these religions:
Islam:
Get to issue 'fatwa' on someone. As I've noted above, I'm quite jealous.
Also, get to 'Jihad' against things now and again.
The enslavement of women also appeals to me.

Christianity:
The power to drive demons out, while I've not had any real need for it *yet*, cannot be ignored.
Also, the cross and holy water are good for fighting against vampires. Again, I've had no real vampire problems lately, so perhaps 'going christian' can wait until soemthing supernatural attacks. Until then the obvious answer for me is...

Judaism:
Don't ask "when would I need a golem?" Ask yourself "when don't I need a golem?" The answer is, of course, never. Whether it is carrying you to class, cleaning your room, or smiting hordes of the enemy, a golem is right for you.
Also, they rule the world with their Jewish conspiracy. Ruling the world sounds pretty keen, if only so I can force someone to hire me.
Also this is the only way to get jobs in Hollywood, if that's your thing (ie, "if you are gay").