User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 Oct 2003, 20:00   #1
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Parabolic flights question...

Ok, you're in an airplane flying a parabolic path. You experience weightlessness during the flight but it's not during the whole of the parabolic part of the flight is it?

It's just during part of the peak? How do i work out how long the weightlessness lasts for?

I got the feeling i'm missing something very simple.

heh.
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 20:02   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Parabolic flights question...

It depends.

I could make a lengthy post, but it's dindins time.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 20:03   #3
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
It depends.

I could make a lengthy post, but it's dindins time.
I was counting on the lengthy post from you
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 20:03   #4
cnaw
Ancient

cnaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarak
Ok, you're in an airplane flying a parabolic path. You experience weightlessness during the flight but it's not during the whole of the parabolic part of the flight is it?

It's just during part of the peak? How do i work out how long the weightlessness lasts for?

heh.

this won't help, but i wanted to link to somthing that listed the vomit comet
Falling from grace, the human race
Religion can never unite us
Only a few will stay on the barricades"
-Masterplan
cnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 20:07   #5
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:

heh.
If I understand your question correctly (which I probably don't) then the only time you feel weightless is during free-fall. ie when the plane is flying downwards, very fast.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 20:07   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I was counting on the lengthy post from you
It depends on the type of weightlessness.

There is instantaneously weightlessness at the top (the kind you get when a lift starts going down quickly), but the more proper kind comes if the plane is in freefall, with no lift being generated and very little frictional effects. Then there is no reaction force from the plane when you stand on it (because you're accelerating at the same rates), so it feels like you're weightless.

[edit]

Although only the latter one really applies in this case, because the transition in the parabola will probably be too shallow. The former really only applies in sharp changes of direction.
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 20:07   #7
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's on the way down you 'feel' weightless.
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 20:10   #8
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Weightlessness feeling is when you have reached terminal velocity I thought when going down and at the very peak before a decent after travling upwards fast. None of them are weightlessness just a feeling of what its like due to some physic laws.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 20:11   #9
Cyp
∞+♪²

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point

At the point when d²t/dg²=s, where t is the position of the plane, g is the time and s is the force on the plane by gravity.
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 20:11   #10
Ragnarak

Quote:
It depends on the type of weightlessness.

There is instantaneously weightlessness at the top (the kind you get when a lift starts going down quickly), but the more proper kind comes if the plane is in freefall, with no lift being generated and very little frictional effects. Then there is no reaction force from the plane when you stand on it (because you're accelerating at the same rates), so it feels like you're weightless.

[edit]

Although only the latter one really applies in this case, because the transition in the parabola will probably be too shallow. The former really only applies in sharp changes of direction.
Cheer, just wanted to make sure i wasn't misunderstanding something simple.
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 20:13   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid00
Weightlessness feeling is when you have reached terminal velocity I thought when going down and at the very peak before a decent after travling upwards fast. None of them are weightlessness just a feeling of what its like due to some physic laws.
They're equivilent.
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 20:21   #12
Ragnarak

One last bit.

I'm right in thinking that a 45 degree angle would lead to the maximum time of flight right?

Then why do the use steeper angles like 50 degrees?
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 20:27   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

45 degree angle = best is only true in that model.

You've got to factor in:

Lift.

Air Resistance.

Lift at various angles of attack

Air Resistance at various angles of attack

etc
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 20:28   #14
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

XeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to behold

The feel of weightless is given by being in a confined space that is falling at the same speed than you. Everything inside it 'becomes' weightless and as you don't see the outside you can't tell everything is in fact falling.

The reason for the 50 degree angle must be related with air resistance decelerating the plane or simply to make it safer for the pilot to pull up.

Knocking on your door for leftovers starting on Dec 21st

Last edited by XeeThot; 16 Oct 2003 at 20:30. Reason: ppl read this?
XeeThot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 20:29   #15
Ragnarak

Quote:
45 degree angle = best is only true in that model.

You've got to factor in:

Lift.

Air Resistance.

Lift at various angles of attack

Air Resistance at various angles of attack

etc
doh of course

i've been doing fairly complicated stuff recently and now gone back to what's basically a-level and forgot half of it