User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 12 Jun 2003, 05:58   #1
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts
Question err...since there's so many math buffs here

what's the formula to calculate pi?
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 06:32   #2
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
There isn't an actual formula. Well, technically there is, but it isn't just something you pop into QBasic and let it run for a year and a half.

When you hear about people 'breaking the record for most digits of pi computed', and they give a date of how long they've been working on it, the time isn't how long the computer's been running (no, that takes all of like, a week at max) it's how long it took them to devise a formula that worked correctly up to a point (of which we can't prove is correct or not, fortunately) that calculated pi to said point.

In other words, I don't know it.

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 07:01   #3
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mirai
snip
well, upon searching for a little while, i can't really find it...well, not in a way I understand anyways
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 08:25   #4
Cyp
∞+♪˛

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
See "Computing π" in http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/pi.

And perhaps http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_series to see how to compute the arctan.
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 08:31   #5
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
c=2*pi*r

where c is the circumfrence of a circle and r is the radius.

get a really really accurate ruler, and measure them.

failing that, use a monte carlo method.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 12:29   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
You use a taylor series.

It takes about ten seconds to derive it.

Basically, you use the sum of an infinite series based on a triganometric function.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 14:58   #7
MrBrick
Gone

MrBrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Basically
**** off Maths whore.

MrBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 14:59   #8
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
You use a taylor series.

It takes about ten seconds to derive it.

Basically, you use the sum of an infinite series based on a triganometric function.
I hate Mr Taylor.

I hate Mr. Maclaurin less.
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 15:05   #9
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
I hate Mr Taylor.

I hate Mr. Maclaurin less.
I like them. They're easy.

Gay connotations++
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 15:06   #10
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
I like them. They're easy.

Gay connotations++
I keep forgetting to divide by n! which results in my '****ing things up, to the max'.

Unfortunate.
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 15:08   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
I keep forgetting to divide by n! which results in my '****ing things up, to the max'.

Unfortunate.
Oh you muppet.

Bet you couldn't derive the sum from 1 to n of a geometric series next.
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 15:09   #12
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Oh you muppet.

Bet you couldn't derive the sum from 1 to n of a geometric series next.
I'd take you up on that bet but for knowing I'd **** that up too. I always used to put r^n =(

I HATE MATHS THOUGH, SO IT'S OKAY KIDS.
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 15:13   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

well, as the sum is a(1-r^n)/1-r, r^n is right
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 15:14   #14
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

I thought it was r^(n+1) for some reason.

Oh.

I got something right.

****. If only I could have done that five more times in that exam.
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 15:20   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

:Sigma:series = a + ar + ar^2 +..... + ar^n-2 + ar^n-1
r:Sigma:series = ar + ar^2 +....+ ar^n-1 + ar^n

:Sigma:series - r:Sigma:series = a - ar^n

:Sigma:series = a(1-r^n)/1-r
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 15:23   #16
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Maclaurin series are for homofags and you have to go to like x^17 to even get a relatively accurate value for pi.
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 15:25   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
Maclaurin series are for homofags and you have to go to like x^17 to even get a relatively accurate value for pi.
You get a nice one for e from 1+1+1/2+1/6+1/4! etc very quickly.
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 15:27   #18
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
You get a nice one for e from 1+1+1/2+1/6+1/4! etc very quickly.

Yes because as we all know e and pi have exactly the same values and they're just called different things to spice up maths.
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 15:33   #19
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Yes because as we all know e and pi have exactly the same values and they're just called different things to spice up maths.
It was just an example how T/M series can be used to get some values quite quickly.

PS

****ING COMPUTER WHERE ****ING BACKSPACE SOMETIMES MOVES BACK A PAGE BUT SOMETIMES DOESN'T
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 15:36   #20
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
It was just an example how T/M series can be used to get some values quite quickly.

PS

****ING COMPUTER WHERE ****ING BACKSPACE SOMETIMES MOVES BACK A PAGE BUT SOMETIMES DOESN'T

You're still a homofag.
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 15:37   #21
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
You're still a homofag.
Bob Dole needs company. LaRouche won't stop with the knock-knock jokes
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 09:31   #22
Cyp
∞+♪˛

There's also a nice formula for calculating the value of -1:

(&pi;i)^0 / 0! + (&pi;i)^1 / 1! + (&pi;i)^2 / 2! + (&pi;i)^3 / 3! + (&pi;i)^4 / 4! + (&pi;i)^5 / 5! + (&pi;i)^6 / 6! + (&pi;i)^7 / 7! + (&pi;i)^8 / 8! + ... + (&pi;i)^(&infin;-1) / (&infin;-1)!
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 09:41   #23
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
sounds rather pythonesque.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 10:28   #24
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
to be fair, how many ppl, ever around here, which is known for its geekiness, know what you lot are on about

for most of us mere humans, knowing that pi = 3.14159 is enough for any normal purpose fs
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 12:39   #25
Christian
Attitude

Christian is infamous around these parts
PI IS EXACTLY THREE!
Todd: Truth is like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold. You push it, stretch it, it'll never be enough. Kick at it, beat it, it'll never cover any of us. From the moment we enter crying, to the moment we leave dying, it'll just cover your face as you wail and cry and scream.

Last edited by JonnyBGood; 17 Jun 2003 at 14:24.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 13:07   #26
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
I could post pi to a million digits.

But I won't.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 13:14   #27
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
seriously, who need to know pi to a million digits?
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 13:19   #28
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner_0
seriously, who need to know pi to a million digits?
I do, clearly.

(P.S. The one millionth decimal place is 1. )
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 14:28   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner_0
to be fair, how many ppl, ever around here, which is known for its geekiness, know what you lot are on about

for most of us mere humans, knowing that pi = 3.14159 is enough for any normal purpose fs
3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841972 to 40dp if memory serves
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 15:11   #30
Christian
Attitude

Christian is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Christian
PI IS EXACTLY THREE!
Mod-abuse.
The information in my post was highly relavent for the topic of this thread.
Todd: Truth is like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold. You push it, stretch it, it'll never be enough. Kick at it, beat it, it'll never cover any of us. From the moment we enter crying, to the moment we leave dying, it'll just cover your face as you wail and cry and scream.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 15:20   #31
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Christian
Mod-abuse.
The information in my post was highly relavent for the topic of this thread.

No, it wasn't.
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 20:02   #32
Cyp
∞+♪˛

Quote:
3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841972 to 40dp if memory serves
I'd write 169, instead of that last 2...