User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 30 Apr 2004, 09:49   #1
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
What psychological oddities do you have?

Just curious, most people seem to have at least one bizarre mental phenomenon going on inside their heads.

Personally I've got a mild form of OCD that sometimes makes me feel uncomfortable if I dont perform certain actions a specific number of times (normally multiples of 4).

What about you? If youve got anything screwy going on, have you ever had it professionally treated, or tried to get rid of it yourself? If not, why not? Have you ever sat down and seriously tried to analyse what's going on in your head, in order to understand it better? Do you know when/why it started? Do you feel like whatever it is happens to be entirely self-caused, or would you describe it as a 'disease' in the sense that parts of it are outside of your control (like the flu or whatever)? Do you feel like youre completely in control of your actions?

edit: cravings/addictions/phobias count, but I'm more interested in what you think about them and what you've done about them (if anything) than what they are.

Last edited by Nodrog; 30 Apr 2004 at 10:25.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 09:54   #2
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: What psychological oddities do you have?

i have to set my alarm clock at a minute past the hour or whatever, i cant have it on a regular time cant think of anything apart from that one
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 09:55   #3
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

I don't have anything that I know of :|
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 09:55   #4
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
i have to set my alarm clock at a minute past the hour or whatever, i cant have it on a regular time cant think of anything apart from that one
Does it always have to be exactly a minute past the hour, or does it just have to be not exactly on the hour? I sometimes get the urge to set mine so that the sum of the digits is a multiple of four (digital display).
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 09:56   #5
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

well, it can be a couple of minutes, but i prefer 1 minute past the hour/quater hour/half hour if you see what i mean
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 09:59   #6
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

I can[t help but think Nod is making his mental malady up
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 10:04   #7
Nodrog

Quote:
well, it can be a couple of minutes, but i prefer 1 minute past the hour/quater hour/half hour if you see what i mean
see edit to original post!

dont answer if you dont feel like it etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneED
I can[t help but think Nod is making his mental malady up
I'm not, but I can understand why you wouldnt believe me.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 10:22   #8
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

Sitting here thinking about it, the only thing that comes to mind is my completely irational, yet total fear of Moths.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 10:24   #9
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids
Sitting here thinking about it, the only thing that comes to mind is my completely irational, yet total fear of Moths.
Even that would do!

Have you ever thought about where it came from? Like, let your mind wander over your childhood and tried to pick out an incident or series or incidents that brought it about? Have you experimented with yourself to try and get rid of it (made yourself touch a moth or whatever)? Does it annoy you that you have a fear that you think is irrational but have no control over? Do you think its a 'choice' in some way (ie that you could get rid of the phobia if you tried hard enough), or would you treat it as being outside your control?

Last edited by Nodrog; 30 Apr 2004 at 10:39.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 10:41   #10
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

At an increasingly accelerating rate I seem to be developing attention deficit disorder. I blame free internet and multi-tasking computers (seriously). I've tried a few things (changing my diet, exercising, depriving myself of stimulus, etc) which helps a bit, but not particularly well.

My only other abnormality that I can think of is being anti-social, although this has declined tremendously since I was about 15. I used to find it almost impossible to have a conversation with "strangers". This has pretty much gone away since I joined a Communist group when I was 15, which helped a lot. I'm sure maturing more generally was the deciding factor, but that always strikes me as the watershed.

Oh, and I'm also a control freak, but that's not usually that important.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 10:43   #11
Nodrog

I've always wanted to be able to talk to strangers (not about the shitty smalltalk things people normally talk about when passing time, but starting actual interesting conversations), but I've never actually been able to do it. I'm not quite sure why, since I think most people would respond quite well to it despite it generally being a 'not done' thing. It's something I should probably work on/practice.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 10:45   #12
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

It never came from an incident in my childhood, the fear came out 4 or 5 years ago I'd guess. I cant think of what caused it, at a guess I'd say I was suicide charged by one, which promptly landed on my face, as thats what I fear most. It bugs the hell out of me, its only a month, I mean seriously, what sort of damage is a moth going to do to me? I dont think, that it could be beaten, I'm not as bad as I used to be, last year on holiday I sat drinking in a bar at night, filled with months, hundreds of them, and I didnt panic and run out screaming. Everything is a choice, you try hard enough, and you can control anything with your conscious mind, including phobias and addictions, I just havent worked out how to conquer this phobia yet.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 10:55   #13
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I'm not quite sure why, since I think most people would respond quite well to it despite it generally being a 'not done' thing. It's something I should probably work on/practice.
It depends on the context. I think my own "fear" stems from the fact I don't like to be bothered and so I presume others feel the same. Plus, it's stuff about self-worth. If someone says something about politics/computing/etc where I might have something to contribute, it's easy.

The internet helps a lot though. Firstly, you get used to speaking to random people, but also it can act as a useful intermediary. There are people I've met in "real-life", then spoken to them on-line, and when I've spoken to them again in real-life, it's a lot easier.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 10:55   #14
Nodrog

Did it start of gradually and get worse over time, or did it just appear instantly after that incident? With my OCD thing I can remember roughly the time it started (around 3 years ago), and it got gradually worse up until a few weeks ago where I've actively started trying to get rid of it..
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 10:56   #15
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
You get up on a number that isnt o'clock, 5 past, 10 past 15 past etc? Are you crazy?

If the clock says 7 minutes past i'll wait till it says 10 past before getting up, if i oversleep and its 11 by the time i look i'll have to wait for 15.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 10:58   #16
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

im a sadist with ADD... will that do?
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 11:00   #17
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
It depends on the context. I think my own "fear" stems from the fact I don't like to be bothered and so I presume others feel the same. Plus, it's stuff about self-worth. If someone says something about politics/computing/etc where I might have something to contribute, it's easy.

The internet helps a lot though. Firstly, you get used to speaking to random people, but also it can act as a useful intermediary. There are people I've met in "real-life", then spoken to them on-line, and when I've spoken to them again in real-life, it's a lot easier.
Yeah thats the thing, I generally dont like to be bothered or engage in smalltalk with strangers, mainly because I find most conversations that normally occur to be incredibly boring. If someone I didnt know very were to come up to me and randomly start a conversation about politics/philosophy/whatever rather than "what did you do at the weekend"/"did you watch the football last night", I'd be like "woah you are the coolest person ever". It would be easy for me to just dismiss this as other people being boring, but that would miss the point since I'm personally one of the people that doesnt go out of his way to start genuinelly interesting conversations with people I dont know that well either. I suppose in a way, what you get out of people is directly proportional to what you're prepared to put in - apparently James Joyce once said that he'd never met an uninteresting person etc.

Last edited by Nodrog; 30 Apr 2004 at 11:05.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 11:00   #18
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Oh yeah, I'm a sadist too, but I don't consider that a problem.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 11:01   #19
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i dont consider it a problem. Its difficult to not class it as an oddity though.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 11:05   #20
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
If the clock says 7 minutes past i'll wait till it says 10 past before getting up, if i oversleep and its 11 by the time i look i'll have to wait for 15.
Me too.
and Peter Kay
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 11:06   #21
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
It would be easy for me to just dismiss this as other people being boring, but that would miss the point since I'm personally one of the people that doesnt go out of his way to start genuinelly interesting conversations with people I dont know that well either.
Not everyone finds politics/philosophy/etc interesting though. That's my main fear. Ocasisonally I realise I'm going on for a bit too long (much like my forum posts) and I can see people's eyes glaze over.

Everyone has a conversational G Spot of course, the difficult is in finding it.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 11:11   #22
Nodrog

Well whatever. To be honest I dont really care that much about what a person is interested in, as long as theyre interested in _something_. I'd much rather listen to a person passionately talking about something that I've never heard about before, than engage in a dull conversation where no party really gives a shit about what's being said.

On a sidenote, I find the 'average people arent interested in politics/philosophy/science/whatever' line to be elitiest claptrap. I'd guess that the reason that most people dont talk about these things isnt because they are dumb/uninterested/whatever, but because it isnt considered socially acceptable to do so (take popular social memes such as "dont talk about religion/politics/anything heavy on the first date", for instance). I'm not suggesting that the average person is going to want to talk about what they thought of Quine's critique of Davidsons view on how logicism in science is ideologically dependent on capitalist society or whatever, but most people do seem to find conversations about slightly 'deeper' than average stuff to be interesting (look at some of the things close friends often talk about for instance).
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 11:16   #23
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
On a sidenote, I find the 'average people arent interested in politics/philosophy/science;/whatever' to be elitiest craptrap.
I was actually going to put a disclaimer on that, heh. Yes, you are right - although I think people are constrained terribly by the conventions you mention. Lot's of people I've talked to about politics have actually just said "Shut up, this is making me think too much" (or equivalent) in the middle of the conversation, but perhaps I talk to too many morons.

If people aren't used to exercising their brain in any substantial fashion then they often feel uncomfortable applying it. Obviously they do use their brain when they're discussing football, etc but "that's different" to them, so sort of acceptable. Without wishing to get too conspiracy theory-esque, the average education does seem to be unconsciously designed to kill any proper interest in learning/using the intellect. It's only the people who have "elite" educations with whom it's properly encouraged (and then even then, not particularly well).
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 11:17   #24
Nodrog

although that brings us back to the "wanting to be able to change something about yourself but finding yourself somehow unwilling to do so but not sure why" thing that was the subject of this thread!
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 11:20   #25
Nodrog

Quote:
I was actually going to put a disclaimer on that, heh. Yes, you are right - although I think people are constrained terribly by the conventions you mention. Lot's of people I've talked to about politics have actually just said "Shut up, this is making me think too much" (or equivalent) in the middle of the conversation, but perhaps I talk to too many morons.
Seriously, how do you even go about bringing stuff like that up? Do you just jump randomly into an ideological rant about something, or do you subtly direct the conversation to somewhere where it isnt out of place first? I suspect I normally come across as really dumb in any real life group conversation concerning things like politics (except when I'm around people I know), as I dont really put my views across in a particularly coherant way since I dont really know how to talk to strangers.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 11:27   #26
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

I'm as bi-polar as they come verging on split personalities.

Just ask my gf....

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 11:29   #27
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Sometimes I just randomly rant about the evils of coca-cola or drugs legislation or something. Usually I just ask the person what religion they are and then go from there. People generally just get pissed off admittedly, but almost everyone has a religious viewpoint, even if it's just inherited from their parents or whatever. Animal rights is another area which everyone has a viewpoint (and you don't need a high degree of specialist knowledge to talk about, people get resentful if you're just quoting empirical evidence they've never heard of).

Younger people (i.e. 15-25 maybe) are generally easier to talk to in a serious fashion though. By the time people get older they've often forgotten why they believe X or Y and therefore are less interested in discussing it. Young people are generally still forming their ideas so they'll come out with more nonsense but at least they're willing to discuss it.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 11:29   #28
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I'm constantly critizing my own actions/meanings for myself. And i do it too much, i think, as i'm becoming more and more un-secure on my own opinions, and why i have them. That's often a positive thing, but it's started to become really shit.
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 11:38   #29
Nodrog

Quote:
Sometimes I just randomly rant about the evils of coca-cola or drugs legislation or something. Usually I just ask the person what religion they are and then go from there. People generally just get pissed off admittedly, but almost everyone has a religious viewpoint, even if it's just inherited from their parents or whatever. Animal rights is another area which everyone has a viewpoint (and you don't need a high degree of specialist knowledge to talk about, people get resentful if you're just quoting empirical evidence they've never heard of).
Yeah fair enough, thats how that kind of thing normally comes up when it does I suppose. I can often talk to people about things like that in one-on-one situations (not complete strangers though) , but in groups of people I dont know that well, I generally present my opinions in the most boring and inoffensive way possible (kind of like in high school English class when youre doing a solo talk and just want to get it over with as quickly as possible). I think I've still got a bit more of the cultural 'dont want to offend people - its bad to be disliked!' thing implanted than I'd often like to admit to myself, even though I know it's nonsense on an intellectual level (another psychological oddity I suppose).
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 11:51   #30
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Actually most people don't have mental problems, small or large.

It's because you spend a lot of time on the internet. On the internet, it is seen (in some perverse way) as being "trendy" to have a mental problem. Be it depression, anxiety attacks, schizophrenia, whatever. Cutting yourself is quite popular too. It's like a competition of who can rack up the most medication. Sad really, as the internet glorifies mental instability.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 11:52   #31
Rids
The Bad Guy

Bullshit.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 11:55   #32
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Actually most people don't have mental problems, small or large.
If youre defining mental problem to mean 'different from the average person" then youre right by definition. If youre talking about 'deviation from a desirable state" then I'd say youre incredibly wrong.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 11:55   #33
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Sad really, as the internet glorifies mental instability.
Utter rubbish. The level of mental "abnormalities" (that's a stupid term as it's almost the norm) is scarily high in everyday society. People just don't normally feel uncomfortable talking about it except via the internet.

If there is some sort of correlation it's because a lot of the people on the internet are young, and young people often have particular types of problems (cutting yourself is often a young thing to do, for instance).
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 11:57   #34
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

ADD, but for some reason I also enjoy things that require long amounts of time and concentration to complete (SMAX, long novels, etc), so god knows.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 11:59   #35
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

cos clearly i tell everyone i meet im a sadist with ADD

i dont care about telling you lot cos i dont give a damn what you think of me, its not like i wear it on my sleeve though.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:00   #36
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
cos clearly i tell everyone i meet im a sadist with ADD

i dont care about telling you lot cos i dont give a damn what you think of me, its not like i wear it on my sleeve though.
Have you ever considered going a whole week being completely honest with everyone you meet, just to see what would happen? Ive thought about it a few times recently, it would be incredibly interesting.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:04   #37
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
ADD
Have you always had this?

Going back to my earlier post, before the arrival of flat-rate internet I would sit in front of my computer until I got bored. I didn't have an unlimited music/tv/film/game source, so I would eventually run out of things to do and then I'd go read a book or do something constructive. Now there is always something to do. I check about 4 pages every thirty seconds seeing if there's been an update/new post/etc.

As I menionted, multi-tasking is also destroying me. Once upon a time, if I was playing a game (Elite 2 on the Amiga say) then to go do something else would take at least 2/3 minutes (save game, reboot, load up other thing, etc). It was a sufficiently high barrier to get me to continue playing. Now, regardless what I'm doing, I'll repeatedly alt-tab and check other stuff. In the time it's taken me to write this post, I've alt-tabbed about 50 times.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:05   #38
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Have you ever considered going a whole week being completely honest with everyone you meet, just to see what would happen?
I've sort of tried this, most people just assume you're half-joking for the sake of their own sanity.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:08   #39
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

even if i did do that nod, how exactly would i get it into the conversation?
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:09   #40
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Have you always had this?
Yes
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:12   #41
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

why on earth are you so like me mark... and yet so... not?
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:17   #42
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
why on earth are you so like me mark... and yet so... not?
Because I'm eating cake
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:18   #43
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

is it just me who you reply to with complete nonsense, or am i paranoid?

(it would be exceedingly naive to expect a decent reply i suppose )
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:21   #44
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

It depends how much you want to read into my reply. For instance, my most recent one represents the concept of differing social climates and upbringing.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:21   #45
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

that would suggest you had some vague knowledge of my upbringing however. Whereas you dont, and as far as i know no one here does.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:30   #46
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
that would suggest you had some vague knowledge of my upbringing however. Whereas you dont, and as far as i know no one here does.
I'm making an assumption, given it's fairly unlikely (and indeed currently definitely false) that we live/are living in highly comparable situations.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:31   #47
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

to at least partially be an mrl like pedant, you also mentioned upbringing.

(note: whatever you say at this point i will assert i was brought up that way, but dont be silly eh?)
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:33   #48
Nodrog

I'm off to bed now, I'll delete this thread when I wake up if Mark has completely ruined it; W was right about this forum.
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:33   #49
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
to at least partially be an mrl like pedant, you also mentioned upbringing.
I know I did...%
Unread 30 Apr 2004, 12:34   #50
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

% indeed.