User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 9 Mar 2004, 05:45   #1
Blazde
Elysium

Blazde is an unknown quantity at this point
Assassin Mode (A solution to 'Bad Politics')

(Skip down to suggestion if you're not interesing in my musings that add little to the actual idea).

Background

This suggestion is inspired by the weekend's disastrous speedgame finals, which imo, totally undermined Planetarion's ability to function as a game. In PA, if you ally more than 50% of the universe, in all probability you'll defeat the rest and can claim victory. The structures within PA such as battle groups and alliances mean that such blocks can form through the interaction of surprisingly few players. (Potentially only Thunder, deZz and cbk were needed to create and sustain the speedgame block, though no doubt it was a little more complicated in practice). As I see it the situation is akin to the existence of a simple 'perfect strategy' undermining a board game where, perhaps, the player that goes first can always win or can always force a draw. For example, in tic-tac-toe both players can force a draw by playing a perfect strategy. With a decreasing player base in PA the problem is going to sneak into real rounds more and more.

The motivation for players to hijack the game in this way is exactly the same motivation which drives most PA players, namely to win. We might hope that players would have more respect for the game itself, than to the agreements they strike with other players but it's been proven time and again that many don't. PA instills a fanaticism in people that sets it apart from other games, and ultimately my analogies about having a friendly game of Counter Strike or playing footie with your mates, and switching sides often, are irrelevant. Honouring agreements with fellow players is a very righteous and easy defensible reason for allowing these blocks to persist. Whether it's the true reason or just an excuse to win doesn't matter because once someone's stated their core values like that, no amount of bitching will change their mind.

The game however, can be changed. Spinner I know has talked about this as a fundamental problem a number of times. The problem is that players can cooperate, and that it's exactly this cooperation that makes PA the game it is, so you cannot simply take it away. The solution is to limit it in some way. PAX went some way toward this with the -1 ETA for inter-alliance defence, coupled with a limit on alliance size. A big step in my opinion, but more importantly something is needed to limit offensive cooperation. Unfortunately I don't think there's anything quite as simple, so this suggestion is more of a radical redesign that will never happen, but regardless I'd rather put my anger over the weekend's events to some fanciful constructive use rather than continuing to moan in this thread. Kal's thread incidentally, has some similar ideas. I'd be interested to see any more suggestions people have for this problem.

My inspiration came last night when I fired up Rise of Nations in an attempt to forget about PA. As I configured a game with me and 3 computer players it dawned on me that exactly the same problem afflicts many multiplayer RTS games. In any game that allows diplomacy, the players who brought the most mates to the game are likely to win. In a game with preconfigured teams, you can be put at a severe disadvantage when one of your team leaves the game unexpectedly. However, I noticed RoN has an Assassin Mode precisely to solve this. For those that haven't seen it, each player is assigned a target player, such that everyone has exactly one other player targeting them, and attacks are always directed around the map in a clockwise or anticlockwise direction. When you defeat a player, their target becomes your target. You can, infact, attack other players besides your target but your units suffer a severe (attrition) disadvantage so it's impractical to conquer them. The balance this gives the game is dramatic and you have to play it to fully appreciate the subtleties. Adapting the idea to PA is problematic because there's no concept of 'defeating' someone, and clearly it would be boring to have the same target all round. This leads to probably the most radical aspect of my idea (retargetting) but it allows some other problems in PA to be addressed (bashing/multiing/exponential growth). There's one or two other things thrown in that aren't strictly necessary (semi-private galaxies, geography, clusters), but like I said it's fanciful, and I'm bored. Anyway, here's the idea.

Suggestion
  1. Players form and join alliances before tick start, alliances are limited to a size that's configurable and dependant on the number of players expected to play the round etc...
  2. HC of smaller alliances may elect to band together to form blocks up to the alliance size limit. The alliances are still separately named and individually ranked but for most game play purposes they count as a single alliance. In particular, they get -1 eta defence between them, and may not attack (or covert-op) each other.
  3. Players are randomly shuffled into galaxies consisting only of their alliance mates (perhaps including other alliances in their block), with further ETA advantages within galaxy of course.
  4. Galaxies are placed together in clusters with other galaxies from the same block (this validates the defensive ETA advantage, the planets are closer to you).

1. Clusters are ordered by strength (total roid count, score etc...) with the strongest in cluster 1, weakest in the highest cluster, with 1:1 being moved elsewhere so as not to confuse things! Players may only attack planets in clusters lower than them without severe penalties. Note that the strongest cluster will be in a purely defensive situation, unable to efficiently roid anyone else. The weakest cluster in a purely offensive situation.
    2. Alternatively clusters may only attack (without penalty), clusters one or two up from them.
    3. Alternatively the clusters are ordered with the two strongest together, surrounded by the next two strongest, the next strongest surrounding them etc.. For instance, if there are 10 clusters numbered 1 (strongest) to 10 (weakest) they're arranged like this:

9 7 5 3 1 2 4 6 8 10

Clusters may attack the two surrounding clusters (or perhaps the 4 surrounding clusters), and from the first cluster to the last and vice-versa. Ie. in the example 9 and 10 may attack each other as if they were next door.
  5. At appropriate time intervals (weekly or bi-weekly, and perhaps also immediately before protection ends for most people, at PT48/72), the clusters are reshuffled by strength as in 5.
  6. Attacking into a cluster that you shouldn't is either not allowed, or suffers an ETA disadvantage, a combat disadvantage (pilots are tired from the long haul flight so armour/agility and damage/accuracy is lowered, or some percentage of ships simply don't arrive at the target or return home, they get lost).
  7. Players may leave/join alliances, alliances may break (and remake) blocks with other alliances. All changes take place at the next shuffle (eg. Players will be assigned new galaxies, alliances are broken up and their strength reevaluated, new blocks form etc..).
  8. Scanning is limited to planets you can attack (or is very inaccurate into clusters you shouldn't be attacking), and to planets that are already attacking your cluster.
  9. Allianceless players are merged into 1 or more clusters and encouraged to work together (initially through ingame cluster forums).

Alternatives

I list 3 alternatives in 5 that are the obvious arrangements, but I don't think a and b are really viable. With a, no one wants the top-cluster since you simply won't grow. Also, the smaller clusters may gang bang the bigger ones eg. The strongest cluster getting hit for a week by the number 2, 3, 4 and 5 clusters, without being able to counter attack, is certainly not fair. An alternative is to shuffle very often (daily), so the top cluster won't remain there very long if it's being targeted, but that would almost eliminate the interesting politics and make wars too fluid. The problem with b is that unbridgeable score gaps may open up between the clusters, dividing the universe into two or more chunks which is no fun for anyone.

Option c poses the best balance of interesting politics, the possibility for cooperative 2 (clusters) on 1 action with agreements forming between clusters 1 apart etc... but still limits block size severely and means that no one cluster can ever be bashed for too long. Longer lasting agreements can still hold because clusters next to each other don't have to fight (they each have another target cluster), but clusters will have to choose their allies carefully and be prepared to break them, or they'll totally run out of targets (but won't spoil everyone else's game). Also it allows players to counter attack / retal their attackers since everyone you can attack can also attack you.

Cons

The problems I can see so far common to all options are:
  • Clusters are now the same as alliances and so you lose the original concept of clusters, including intra-cluster wars, cluster alliances, a chance to meet players outside your alliance, and a chance for new players to meet experienced players. (One possibility to solve this last problem is to merge allianceless players into galaxies with have an alliance, instead of out on their own with other allianceless people). I personally missed clusters a lot in PAX and believe removing them was one of the biggest mistakes made.
  • Alliances might break up into smaller elitist clusters in order to prey on weaker clusters for cheaper roids. This might not be such a bad thing, since they'll become more vulnerable, and probably reduce the size of their roid catches, but it also means they can't be targeted by the alliances in competition with them. An alternative is to rank the clusters by average score instead of total score.

Pros

The major advantages:
  • Alliances that form massive blocks will have zero targets, instead they must directly attack the alliances in competition with them in order to grow.
  • Active new players are encouraged to form together into small alliances where they can feast on roids from the weaker clusters, before slowly moving up the rankings without fear of being roided by the huge, well-connected players, or they can band with other fledgling alliances and trying their luck in the stronger clusters. (Here's the counter argument for ranking small elite clusters by average, you want exactly that situation with new active players).
  • Semi-active players/alliances aren't continually bashed to death, instead they slip into the weaker clusters where the pace is more relaxed.
  • Maintaining a multi/scan planet is useless unless you keep it in the same alliance as your main planet, which is difficult in the major alliances where multiing is most damaging.

Anyway, I feel like I've written enough (*looks up*... wow), and expended the anger I had toward R6B/VsN. I hope whatever changes round 11 brings, it's a fair, fun, fight for all, and round 10.5 too.
Blazde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2004, 07:40   #2
Guran
Puppet Master

Guran will become famous soon enoughGuran will become famous soon enough
Re: Assassin Mode (A solution to 'Bad Politics')

I don't know how many will actually read your post but atleast I did.

I think you have a somewhat complicated approach to our problem or should I say, a complicated solution but atleast you have given much thought to this. I don't necessarily like your idea as a hole but it has some valid points which could make this game more enjoyable in the future.

Main issues imo are, how to prevent blocking and domination of one alliance over the others.
Some sort of solutions could be found in travel times and smaller alliances. I'll dwell on this and reply again on my lunch break when I've had more thought on this issue.
Guran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2004, 12:17   #3
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

wow, regardless of how good the idea is, someone's put a lot of work in to this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze
Players form and join alliances before tick start, alliances are limited to a size that's configurable and dependant on the number of players expected to play the round etc...
not a particularly new idea. the problem with this is that it's hard to predict how many will play a round, even up untill tick start the number of accounts remains fairly fluid. this means that you'd either have to guestimate early on, and risk having a 'silly' number, or you'd have to leave things very late - bad for planning so annoying people unneccessarily

Quote:
HC of smaller alliances may elect to band together to form blocks up to the alliance size limit. The alliances are still separately named and individually ranked but for most game play purposes they count as a single alliance. In particular, they get -1 eta defence between them, and may not attack (or covert-op) each other.
like this touch, although banding alliances of lower standard players together isn't going to make them as good as the big alliances, it is a step in the right direction.

Quote:
Players are randomly shuffled into galaxies consisting only of their alliance mates (perhaps including other alliances in their block), with further ETA advantages within galaxy of course.
interesting... a viable alternative to private galaxies, and it stops block galaxies forming. however, it rather requires alliances to have a round number of members. it's hard to fill gals of 10 if an alliance has 55 players for example. the alliance size thingy you mentioned earlier would also have to be modified to take this in to account.

technicalities asside, there are two ways i can see this going. either there'll be fortress gals (something i don't think are bad, but i seem to be in the minority there) with large alliances being virtually unassailable, or there'll be a situation where small alliances simply can't cover all their members in a gal.

and then, ofc, you've got to lock alliances, so that people can't form alliances to get gals, and then move over in to their real alliances once the ticks start.

Quote:
Galaxies are placed together in clusters with other galaxies from the same block (this validates the defensive ETA advantage, the planets are closer to you).
not keen on this idea. if you're going to do it why have clusters at all? they serve no real purpose, so just condense coords to an X:Y format.

Quote:
Clusters are ordered by strength
a nice idea, but what happens if one of the clusters gets beaten to a bloody pulp? or if good players deliberatly play baddly untill clusters are arranged so that they're surrounded by newbies - giving them a virtually unassailable position and plenty of people to bash. if you're going to do this, then clusters/galaxies need to be able to move, and i can see that causing a whole host of problems, although i do have a scoring model based upon it around here somewhere your reshuffling covers things a little, but there's still a lot of advantage to be found. also, by reshuffling you break up any wars that are going in, something i think is bad.

a nice idea, but i don't think very practical. like the galaxy formation plan tho, a nice alternative to the packs/private gals that keep getting bounced about

-mist
mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2004, 12:56   #4
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
not a particularly new idea. the problem with this is that it's hard to predict how many will play a round, even up untill tick start the number of accounts remains fairly fluid. this means that you'd either have to guestimate early on, and risk having a 'silly' number, or you'd have to leave things very late - bad for planning so annoying people unneccessarily
Not really; you could set the maximum alliance size as some set percentage of the player-base (either by just picking a number out of the air or examining the universe of previous rounds at the start and end). Each person wanting to join an alliance is put in a queue, and the HC or whoever it is that chooses who comes in and who gets bounced by whatever system they desire.*

It's far, far from perfect for the pissing-people-off quotient I know; alliances wouldn't know exactly whether or not all of their members would be accepted before the round starts. It would however be an incentive for alliances to bring in new players to the game as a whole (community spirit, what what?) so as to allow them to have all their members playing and active. Though from a personal perspective I'd rather see lots of smaller alliances (even 'factions' of existing alliances) playing against each other than big wars between a few.

*Example:
Say we have an alliance size limit of 5% of the universe. And say we have 500 people signed up on the first day of signups. Those 500 people apply to join whatever alliance they're after and are placed in the queues for that alliance. Say 30 people want to join the PabloAlliance. Since there's only 500 people in the universe right now, only 25 of them can possibly be accepted into that alliance at the moment until more players sign up. The other five stay 'on the books' as it were, unaccepted but still in a list of pending players.

Day 2, another 300 people sign up. With a total of 800 players in the universe, the PabloAlliance can now accept as many as 40 players. This means that the five who couldn't be added to the alliance yesterday now can since that would only push the number of alliance members to 30, still below the 40 limit. The HC can also now add as many as 10 more applicants to his alliance before hitting the 40 limit, beyond which any unaccepted players (as a result of there not being enough room as opposed to them being turned down) are once again 'kept on the books' until such as time as the HC has more free slots.
Unread 9 Mar 2004, 13:13   #5
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

how does not knowing if you'll get all your existing members in to your alliance provide an incentive to introduce new players to the game?

-mist
Unread 9 Mar 2004, 13:15   #6
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Because in order to get all your members into the alliance you know exactly how big the playerbase needs to be, and so how many extra players you'd need to get playing. It's an unlikely scenario for alliances to cooperate with but it's at least 'possible'.
Unread 9 Mar 2004, 13:29   #7
mist
Jolt's best friend

"come play this game, i can't help you because you won't be able to get in to my alliance, but it'll be great fun getting beaten to a bloody pulp while i do well"

hmmm

also, with freebie accounts being in, people will just sign up multi accounts untill there's enough planets in the game

-mist
Unread 9 Mar 2004, 16:17   #8
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

As I say, an unlikely scenario.
Unread 9 Mar 2004, 16:19   #9
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
Not really; you could set the maximum alliance size as some set percentage of the player-base (either by just picking a number out of the air or examining the universe of previous rounds at the start and end). Each person wanting to join an alliance is put in a queue, and the HC or whoever it is that chooses who comes in and who gets bounced by whatever system they desire.*

It's far, far from perfect for the pissing-people-off quotient I know; alliances wouldn't know exactly whether or not all of their members would be accepted before the round starts. It would however be an incentive for alliances to bring in new players to the game as a whole (community spirit, what what?) so as to allow them to have all their members playing and active. Though from a personal perspective I'd rather see lots of smaller alliances (even 'factions' of existing alliances) playing against each other than big wars between a few.

*Example:
Say we have an alliance size limit of 5% of the universe. And say we have 500 people signed up on the first day of signups. Those 500 people apply to join whatever alliance they're after and are placed in the queues for that alliance. Say 30 people want to join the PabloAlliance. Since there's only 500 people in the universe right now, only 25 of them can possibly be accepted into that alliance at the moment until more players sign up. The other five stay 'on the books' as it were, unaccepted but still in a list of pending players.

Day 2, another 300 people sign up. With a total of 800 players in the universe, the PabloAlliance can now accept as many as 40 players. This means that the five who couldn't be added to the alliance yesterday now can since that would only push the number of alliance members to 30, still below the 40 limit. The HC can also now add as many as 10 more applicants to his alliance before hitting the 40 limit, beyond which any unaccepted players (as a result of there not being enough room as opposed to them being turned down) are once again 'kept on the books' until such as time as the HC has more free slots.
Exactly what i've been saying since a week into PAX. Any limits impossed on an alliance have to be dynamic so they adjust. One of the biggest problems I've had with the limits is simply they are so high that it allows the big players to walk into any of the smaller alliances and poach the better players. The alliance thats had its members poached receives no compensation for loosing the members and the upwards movement of players and lack of new players means they simply cant replace them. By having a real limit that does control the alliances you acheive the situation where alliances dont have the ability to poach as readerly and if they do they are likly to have to replace and existing member who will then filter down

However I personally believe pablissimo figures are too high, 5% works our at around 100 members with the current memberbase which is too high as most alliances are working at the 100 member mark as it is. We should at looking at a max of 3-4% of the playerbase, with the lower you go the more competative you will make it with more and more alliances able to put up a real fight.

And mist while you right that "come play this game, i can't help you because you won't be able to get in to my alliance, but it'll be great fun getting beaten to a bloody pulp while i do well" isnt much of an incentive to people to play the simple fact that alliances need the playerbase to rise to get more members gives them a reason to be more proactive in the marketing. Just getting the game mentioned in places and giving out a postive image of the game rather than the negative image pa players all too often like to give out. It also gives people incentives to be generous, if we look at r5 one of the main problems the p2p scheme had back then is too many people refused to give their free account away to people they werent going to get an advantage from doing so. Now alliances and alliance members have incetives to help people who cant pay access the game as it can be a way of boosting the levels.

As for freebie account I would personally not include them in the calculations of the limits, atleast not to begin with anyway. Perhaps after a while of showing they arent multies or inactives, if they are found to be multies they will obviously be deleted before the period ends and if they are inactive they would also be deleted but active accounts AFTER the 'trail' period would then be able to count twoards the level

Anyway will comment on the actual idea that started this thread in a bit (just need to have a think about the idea first)
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2004, 16:54   #10
mist
Jolt's best friend

there's a trial period this time round?

-mist
Unread 9 Mar 2004, 17:22   #11
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
there's a trial period this time round?

-mist
I was just calling the time between when free accounts should be counted towards the game numbers a 'trail' period for lack of better word
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote