User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 17 Apr 2003, 14:07   #1
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
noob question about mobo's and ram

Hi there!

I would like to buy a athlon cpu (like 1800 mhz aprox) with a cheap but good mobo. The point is, I don't want to buy new ram. Will I be able to find a mobo that can use the old ram modules that are in a Pentium 2 pc?

I dont know for sure what type is in that P2, its not for me, I want to give this to someone for a present.

I see those athlon motherboards use DDR ram? i guess thats not the ram a P2 use? and I guess you cant get athlon mobo's using SDRam?
Unread 20 Apr 2003, 18:19   #2
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
i dont want to sound 'pedantic'

but

LN2548 128Mb PC2100 (PC266) DDR Memory Branded 12.95 15.22

from scan.co.uk

surely you can afford another 15 quid for the memory?
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 17:52   #3
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
I agree with JJ. Athlon XP + DDR is teh good.

EDIT - What is your budget anyway?

Last edited by Luckeh!!!!; 22 Apr 2003 at 18:05.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 22:25   #4
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
/me points at the Hardware & Tech support forum

The mods here are shocking!

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Apr 2003, 23:41   #5
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of
Re: noob question about mobo's and ram

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSmoke
I see those athlon motherboards use DDR ram? i guess thats not the ram a P2 use? and I guess you cant get athlon mobo's using SDRam?
ASRock creates such MB's
http://www.asrock.com/product/amd/index.htm

They are ATX/micro-atx format - i hope you dont want baby-at boards

I think most people would argue that it doesnt make much sense to slow down a XP 1800 with SDRAM, you should really consider the slightly higher cost for a better board and some RAM
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote