User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 5 Mar 2003, 16:35   #1
King Elessar

Need a PERL irc socket connection

I'm looking to create an IRC bot in PERL. And I know nothing about socket programming with PERL.

Would someone please give me a small, commented example script of connecting to an IRC server as well as sending and reciving data?

Thank you very much,
King Elessar
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 17:06   #2
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
I dont do much perl myself, but I can sort out a php bot to do the same job if thats any use to you.
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 17:07   #3
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
POE::Component::IRC is the best way to do Perl IRC bots, see http://poe.perl.org/?POE_Cookbook/IRC_Bots

If you really must use TCP sockets, google gives http://b0iler.eyeonsecurity.org/tuto...ircperlbot.htm
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 21:02   #4
King Elessar

Quote:
Originally posted by xtothez
I dont do much perl myself, but I can sort out a php bot to do the same job if thats any use to you.
No thanks, I'd like to mostly do this myself

King Elessar
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 21:04   #5
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by King Elessar
No thanks, I'd like to mostly do this myself

King Elessar
I meant a client with the description you provided, I'm not writing a full bot for you : )
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 23:49   #6
King Elessar

Quote:
Originally posted by xtothez
I meant a client with the description you provided, I'm not writing a full bot for you : )
I see... Well, again, thanks anyway, I've done that before, but I don't really know enough PHP to do all the stuff I want to do :P

King Elessar
Unread 6 Mar 2003, 00:30   #7
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Not IRC, but an example fo how to use sockets in perl..

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
use IO::Socket;
$data = "GET / HTTP/1.0\r\n\r\n";
my $sock = new IO::Socket::INET (
                  PeerAddr => 'www.planetarion.com',
                  PeerPort => '80',
                  Proto => 'tcp',
            );
die "Could not create socket: $!\n" unless $sock;
print $sock "$data";
while (<$sock>) {
  print;
}
close($sock);

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Mar 2003, 10:32   #8
Slidey

Slidey is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by King Elessar
I see... Well, again, thanks anyway, I've done that before, but I don't really know enough PHP to do all the stuff I want to do :P

King Elessar
so you know all the perl you need to know to do all you want to do..?

#impulsed - home of genius..?
Slidey is offline   Reply With Quote