User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 27 Jan 2003, 16:21   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Linux user interfaces

Why why why isn't there a nice, decent user interface under linux?
To me it always seems that there's something wrong with all of them, either Gnome or KDE (yes I know there's others) whatever theme or settings you apply to them.

The problem is this:
While many linux users may hate windows microsoft have over, the years, pretty much perfected thier user interface. It's just the right size to get lots of info on the screen without making the controls miniscule.
Interfaces in linux tend towards the big and clunky, and what REALLY pisses me off is that they seem to totally ignore the entire point of increasing resolution (more workspace) - they just expand as you increase resolution.

Whywhywhywhywhy?
It can't be that hard to copy redmond's can it?

Unread 27 Jan 2003, 16:34   #2
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I absolutely agree on the 'fitting lots of things into the screen at the same time' nonsense, and especially that the buttons for pretty much everything in Gnome are so fking huge

I'm sure its configurable, but I doubt the uni would be best pleased.
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 16:37   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
If it's anything like my uni your config changes go byebye when you log out.
I have to do "alias ls='ls --color=auto'" EVERY SINGLE TIME fs!

Unread 27 Jan 2003, 21:57   #4
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Code:
[email protected] [09:03 PM]  '~'
> $ echo -e "alias ls='ls --color=auto'\nalias ll='ls -l'" >.mybashrc
> $ . .mybashrc
> $ ll
total 120920
-rw-------    1 tom      wheel         136 Oct 29 23:16 #pico11103#
etc.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 22:42   #5
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The windows GUI style has quite a lot of flaws/omissions, but is generally ok. I hear BlackBox is meant to be good for linux, although I havent got round to trying it yet.

Last edited by Nodrog; 27 Jan 2003 at 22:50.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 15:54   #6
Epcylon

Epcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of light
Complaining about linux having big buttons is like complaining that winXP has fluffy colors... it's configurable, and if your uni has any idea about running a *nix system, there are configfiles on your home directory that will keep any changes.

btw...
Code:
$ alias ls='ls --color'
is just like doing
Code:
C:>doskey dir='dir /p'
in MSDOS... (assuming I remember the doskey syntax, which I probably don't)

The point is you have to save those settings somewhere, and under *nix that's typically in a file called something like .bashrc (for bash), .cshrc (for csh and derivatives) etc. (just as under MSDOS, those things would go in autoexec.bat)

Check with your uni sysadmin to find out what (if anything) you can change from the default setup... I'm betting it's quite a bit unless the sysadmin is a complete n00b...
[R12]: HR free-pe0n | [R13-]: HR pe0n
Epcylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 16:07   #7
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

The linux systems here are not stateful - the user profile is reset to an image upon logout.
Every user gets exactly the same desktop, theme, colours, rc files, etc etc.

Unread 28 Jan 2003, 16:33   #8
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
One of my chief gripes with Ximian Gnome is the "clunkiness" of the GUI. It's getting better though, and (in Ximian especially) is now a lot more configurable to feel less "cluttered".

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 21:21   #9
Epcylon

Epcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
The linux systems here are not stateful - the user profile is reset to an image upon logout.
Every user gets exactly the same desktop, theme, colours, rc files, etc etc.

Wow...

Around here every new user is given a default desktop, and if your own customizations gets messed up you just run a script to reset to default. But only when the user asks for it... honestly can't think of any scenario where always resetting it makes sense...

I stand by my previous statement then... your sysadmins are n00bs...
[R12]: HR free-pe0n | [R13-]: HR pe0n
Epcylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 00:21   #10
Idi

the linux gui interfaces (gnome/kde etc) are so similar to windows that anyone that says other wise is lieing. and thats ignoreing the fact that there are themes available to make it look 100% like windows.

did you know, if you resize the default gnome toolbar for example to 24px in height, then it becomes the same size as the windows toolbar and all the icons shrink down to that size too?

you all disgust me

DISGUST!
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 10:06   #11
Mong
Forever Delayed

Quote:
Originally posted by Idi
did you know, if you resize the default gnome toolbar for example to 24px in height, then it becomes the same size as the windows toolbar and all the icons shrink down to that size too?
They clearly didn't *sigh*

Look at the Ximian Gnome desktop. It's very nice. Maybe the interface isn't quite as good as that of OS X or Windows, but don't tell me that this interface is a bad one!

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"

Last edited by Mong; 1 Feb 2003 at 10:12.
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 17:18   #12
TheShadow

TheShadow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
this interface is a bad one!
That didn't look too bad /me wants to try it, but it doesn't support RH 8.0 yet
TheShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 19:12   #13
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point
Try blackbox, or fluxbox window managers in conjuction with one of the more simple gtk themes. Both are fairly minimal.

Last edited by inf; 1 Feb 2003 at 19:18.
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2003, 20:32   #14
Mong
Forever Delayed

Quote:
Originally posted by TheShadow

Quote:
this interface is a bad one!
That didn't look too bad /me wants to try it, but it doesn't support RH 8.0 yet
Are you on drugs?
Quote:
don't tell me that this interface is a bad one!
Oh and afaik it does work with RH8.0 just not officially etc...

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

Unread 2 Feb 2003, 22:20   #15
TheShadow

Quote:
Are you on drugs?
No Why are you asking, want some?

Quote:
Oh and afaik it does work with RH8.0 just not officially etc...
Cool, I'll give it a try then
Unread 2 Feb 2003, 23:19   #16
Mong
Forever Delayed

Quote:
Originally posted by TheShadow
No Why are you asking, want some?
Cos you misquoted me to imply I didn't like Ximian

Oh and I have plenty thanks!

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

Unread 2 Feb 2003, 23:31   #17
TheShadow

Quote:
Cos you misquoted me to imply I didn't like Ximian
lol....that is what happens when you don't read what you quote and just think you know what it says

Do you happen to have any links about how to get it to work with RH 8.0?
Unread 14 Feb 2003, 00:26   #18
Deathjam
Banned

Deathjam is an unknown quantity at this point
hmm i need linux back off of my mate
Deathjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2003, 05:51   #19
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Here in the Linux world, we just call them user interfaces.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote