User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 14 Jan 2003, 10:12   #1
seventh
Lai

seventh is an unknown quantity at this point
why does my cable modem 'disconnect'??

its all plugged in correctly, it runs to my pc via usb, etc.

after a few hours of seamless connection, when the computer is on it just ceases to be 'connected' the usb light on the front of the modem itself also goes out and my digital camera/webcam that runs through usb doesnt work either. is there some sort of idle cutout etc within usb that would make it do this? should i just run it through ethenet instead?

any help would be much appreciated.

seventh
[18:02]<DJ_Bass>When i was just a knee basher i ran outside with a coat hanger above my head thinking it would repel lightning

[18:03]<Ashknight>If it hit you, now that would explain a LOT
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Follow the guy in front
<[7th]Seventh> liseh?
<Bloomers> hmmm
<Bloomers> he's okay
<Bloomers> you are fitter tho
seventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 10:17   #2
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
There's an option on standby that will power down USB devices after a period of inactivity, so when you start using them again, they're 'lost' to the PC and won't work.

Two choices
a) Use your PC constantly, 24/7/52.
b) Adjust your standby settings (apparently easier).

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 13:04   #3
Hungry Hippo

I am assuming that due to Dead Meat posting 5 minutes after the original post, that Dead Meat's reply was read and helped seventh with his little problem.

However it is sad to see that seventh didn't even thank Dead Meat for his trouble even though Dead Meat fought in 2 world wars to save us all.

Kids these days eh?
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 13:25   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: why does my cable modem 'disconnect'??

Quote:
Originally posted by seventh
it runs to my pc via usb
There's your problem

Unread 14 Jan 2003, 13:26   #5
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Do you have a VIA chipset?

My mate had exactly the same problem with his USB ADSL modem. Turned out to be a problem with VIA chipsets and the USB on board. A USB card was the only resolve to this problem. I can only suggest this or wait until the firmware for your Mobo or Modem is updated.
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 14:32   #6
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts
Is it just my imagination or is this in the wrong forum ?
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 14:33   #7
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
no, because here i can be flippant.

\o/
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 14:35   #8
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by Kumnaa
Is it just my imagination or is this in the wrong forum ?
Depends. If you're looking for 'lady-boy chat' take the first right and then the elevator to the 3rd floor.
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 14:36   #9
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
no, because here i can be flippant.

\o/
I'm telling MT!!
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 15:08   #10
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Kumnaa
I'm telling MT!!
Megla closed my thread on P&D too

I'm BORED!
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 15:11   #11
Idi

the mods are evuhl
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 15:13   #12
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

XeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Idi
the mods are evuhl
The admins are worse...

Knocking on your door for leftovers starting on Dec 21st
XeeThot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 15:19   #13
Idi

Quote:
Originally posted by XeeThot
The admins are worse...
if i mention that Karmulian changed his start up date by over a year and a half to make himself looker :cooler: than Nodrog, he'll probably ban me
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 15:29   #14
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
Megla closed my thread on P&D too

I'm BORED!
I'm watching you, ho.

Unread 14 Jan 2003, 15:30   #15
Idi

Quote:
I'm watching you, ho.

watching / stalking.. same difference?
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 15:31   #16
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

nah - purely watching is just boring.
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 15:35   #17
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
nah - purely watching is just boring.
I'm bored, you're bored watching me be bored, we're all bored...

What was wrong with my post anyway?
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 18:40   #18
seventh
Lai

and i change standby settings by rubbing my what?

btw, thankyou dead_meat you are still teh fag0t.bus's resident 'big kid' who sits on the back seats
[18:02]<DJ_Bass>When i was just a knee basher i ran outside with a coat hanger above my head thinking it would repel lightning

Follow the guy in front
<[7th]Seventh> liseh?
<Bloomers> hmmm
<Bloomers> he's okay
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 18:41   #19
seventh
Lai

now seriously, how do i change my standby settings, it aint via the 'power saving' options is it?

Follow the guy in front
<[7th]Seventh> liseh?
<Bloomers> hmmm
<Bloomers> he's okay
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 18:46   #20
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Assuming XP:
Start -> Control Panel -> System
Hardware Tab
Device Manger Button

Find modem in the device list, and bring up it's properties. The power saving option should be in there somewhere.

And yes, I'd move this to P&D/H&TS if I could.

[edit]
like this, except that's my NIC.

Last edited by meglamaniac; 14 Jan 2003 at 18:53.
meglamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 19:02   #21
seventh
Lai

err, my modem doesnt show up under usb in device manager.

and what the **** is H&t's/p&d's
??

shall i change to ethenet?

Follow the guy in front
<[7th]Seventh> liseh?
<Bloomers> hmmm
<Bloomers> he's okay
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 19:05   #22
seventh
Lai

oh and im using ME so its diff.

Follow the guy in front
<[7th]Seventh> liseh?
<Bloomers> hmmm
<Bloomers> he's okay
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 20:17   #23
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by XeeThot
The admins are worse...
Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee
Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee Xee q

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 22:43   #24
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
What the **** happened to this thread?
Unread 15 Jan 2003, 11:07   #25
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by seventh
err, my modem doesnt show up under usb in device manager.

and what the **** is H&t's/p&d's
??

shall i change to ethenet?
Yes you should....ethernet is superior to USB for these types of things
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote