User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 4 Dec 2002, 21:59   #1
Atheist

Atheist is an unknown quantity at this point
Certain websites are unreachable on network comps

Hey guys

Im having a bit of a problem here. For some reason all computers on a large network can not ping or in any other way rich a few websites (e.g. yahoo.com) even though they are reachable outside the network. I dont know how it was done (and who did it) or how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 22:05   #2
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
You admin could have disabled/blocked the ICMP (which contains ping) protocol on your firewall. Which is relatively easy since it all runs over a specific port.
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 22:06   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Sounds like a DNS problem to me.
Try pinging the IP of Yahoo.com (64.58.76.176) and see what happens. You can also try going to it as http://64.58.76.176.

Unread 5 Dec 2002, 10:39   #4
Slidey

Slidey is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
You admin could have disabled/blocked the ICMP (which contains ping) protocol on your firewall. Which is relatively easy since it all runs over a specific port.
what port does it listen on ? i wnat to block it on my firewall

#impulsed - home of genius..?
Slidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Dec 2002, 11:20   #5
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
"iptables -A INPUT -p icmp --icmp-type ping -j DROP" is what I use in my firewall script.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Dec 2002, 11:58   #6
Slidey

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
"iptables -A INPUT -p icmp --icmp-type ping -j DROP" is what I use in my firewall script.
ping is an icmp type ?

sorry, nitpicking

but s-i gave the impression that icmp listened the same sort of way that tcp/udp over ip do..

Unread 5 Dec 2002, 12:52   #7
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Slidey
ping is an icmp type ?

sorry, nitpicking

but s-i gave the impression that icmp listened the same sort of way that tcp/udp over ip do..
Not as far as I know it doesn't, there's no port you can block to stop just pings. Blocking port 4444(?) will stop all ICMP data, not just pings. My iptables command should drop all ping requests while allowing other ICMP protocols through
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 6 Dec 2002, 02:30   #8
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
Not as far as I know it doesn't, there's no port you can block to stop just pings. Blocking port 4444(?) will stop all ICMP data, not just pings. My iptables command should drop all ping requests while allowing other ICMP protocols through
Forgive my ignorance, but I thought ports were an invention of TCP, how would blocking a particular port affect transmission of ICMP data?

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Dec 2002, 07:44   #9
mikay

mikay is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds more like a routing or firewall issue.

<breeze|away> i agree about mang tho .. he is our mentor of perviness

R4: 48:25:13, 2E5 HC R5: n00b
R6: 3:10:1 Mangor, The Daddy
R7: 3:3:11 Retired
R8: c43 Finally free
PAX: 3:7:9 The Mentor of Perviness
mikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Dec 2002, 10:28   #10
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by MT
Forgive my ignorance, but I thought ports were an invention of TCP, how would blocking a particular port affect transmission of ICMP data?
No, forgive MY ignorance. Apparently I was talking ****e and you are indeed correct. I should have posted the iptables command and left it at that, at least I know that works
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 6 Dec 2002, 10:52   #11
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
My bad.... ICMP lies directly on IP, not on TCP/UDP, so it doesn't use a port. (I should think before I post)
anyway, yes, ICMP can be blocked by firewalls.
Unread 6 Dec 2002, 11:28   #12
Slidey

indeed you should

i wish people would think before they start posting technical information as to whether they know that information is true, or whether they're making it up...

Unread 6 Dec 2002, 11:36   #13
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
indeed you should

i wish people would think before they start posting technical information as to whether they know that information is true, or whether they're making it up...
My iptables bit was right

I just got the rest wrong
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 6 Dec 2002, 11:44   #14
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
indeed you should

=/
I've indulged myself in the TCP/IP stack for such a long time I didn't find it nescesary to check this. Also I presumed that it was a port block since my firewall had it listed under "wel known ports" for blocks. So I found it obvious it was a port block.

I made a mistake, mmkay!