User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 4 Nov 2002, 00:35   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Pipex vs. BT Broadband

Right.
As I mentioned in the subforum, some of my mates in a house are wanting to get broadband.
NTL cable is not available in the area, but the BT Exchange is ADSL capable.

This gives them a choice between BT Broadband (£29.99 month, £65 activation, £85 for modem plus filters) and Pipex (£23.44 month, same £65 activation as it uses a BT line, £99.95 for moredm plus filters).
This is only going to be installed for a year or possibly 2 if they keep the house next year as well, so long term costs are not a factor.

I'm basicly looking for reports of what the service on the two providers is like, as the costs are quite similar.

Thanks.

Unread 4 Nov 2002, 00:37   #2
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Even though your post is only half finished I can give you an answer, DON'T GO BT BROADBAND!

Do a search on the Register and you'll see why
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 00:39   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Heh - accidentally hit the submit button.

Why not BT?
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 00:42   #4
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
Heh - accidentally hit the submit button.

Why not BT?
This or this for starters

You like the fast response round here tonight? hehe.
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 00:49   #5
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Looking like Pipex then...

Unread 4 Nov 2002, 00:55   #6
Gayle29uk
Bitch

On the subject of ADSL though, apparently these guys are pretty good despite being low priced. They have the same contention as everyone else (business packages excepted).

Can you tell I read the reg most days at work? Hehe.

/me goes back to /. to stave off the boredom of work.
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 10:31   #7
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
Virgin are doing £24.99, I don't know what they're service is like though.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 10:43   #8
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
There is only one DSL ISP worth considering, and their name is Nildram. The rest are ****ty ****ty poo poo. Maybe demon, but I'm guessing your friends aren't millionaires yet.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 12:08   #9
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
Looking like Pipex then...

Yes but Pipex dont ahve the best track record for the ADSL.

As for the thing about NTL not doing broadband in the area was that found out via the NTL site or via phone becuase the postcode checker on the NTL's site is notoriously bad
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 12:45   #10
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by MT
There is only one DSL ISP worth considering, and their name is Nildram. The rest are ****ty ****ty poo poo. Maybe demon, but I'm guessing your friends aren't millionaires yet.
lies

www.plus.net

and not just because i work there.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 13:54   #11
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

hinch has plus net. You wont release to him his PTR records, or even allow them to be updated. Nildram do that free of charge. Nildram charge £5 a month for a /29 with full control over PTR records, bringing the total cost for a 512k /29 to a whopping £34/month. Plus.net is £55/month. Nildram have exquisite peering and run the countrys largest selection of game servers. Plus.net do not. Nildram have the best reputation from those in the know. Plus.net do not.

Unread 4 Nov 2002, 14:08   #12
Duke

from what i have read, all of BT's internet services are really bad. Go for Pipex
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 14:41   #13
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by MT
hinch has plus net. You wont release to him his PTR records, or even allow them to be updated. Nildram do that free of charge. Nildram charge £5 a month for a /29 with full control over PTR records, bringing the total cost for a 512k /29 to a whopping £34/month. Plus.net is £55/month. Nildram have exquisite peering and run the countrys largest selection of game servers. Plus.net do not. Nildram have the best reputation from those in the know. Plus.net do not.
bah.
what are PTR records btw ?
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 15:32   #14
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

http://www.jhsoft.com/help/rec_PTR.htm
Google.

Nildram looks good - I noticed they waffled on about USB ports for thier ADSL modems however.
I sent them an email threatening to send BT in the direction of thier net lines (topical joke for those who aren't following) if they didn't offer one with an ethernet connection. We'll see where that gets me.

Unread 4 Nov 2002, 15:57   #15
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

ta.
yeah we do A records etc, not PTR that im aware :/

why dont you just buy your own hardware, and just get the line etc from them ?
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 03:34   #16
Vanilla

Vanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura about
pipex have had TONS of downtime recently. I mean tons, whole days and weekends. One of my mates has it.

I also think there's no yearly contract with pipex, so if you don't like it youcan dump it.
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 10:56   #17
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

Truly. I'm not just saying this. Nildram are _THE_ best ISP I've ever come across in 7 years of internetting. Their tech staff (Adrian and Iain in particular) really know their stuff. They have weekly updates on the service quality, what they have been doing etc, capacity of their pipes. They also have the capacity to add extra 155MBps pipes within a few weeks.

They may cost a bit more than your average cheap-as-**** isp, but you are paying for the gaurentee that rarely will anything go wrong their end. The only trouble I ever had with them was never even their fault - BT's ATM network went down twice in 2 weeks. Thats about it....

Before they offered the ability to change PTR records in the user control panel, I was chatting about it to Cheechy (runs Jolt, Nildram subsidary) and he changed it right there and then for me

Unread 5 Nov 2002, 22:26   #18
w2k
all grown up

w2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by NEWSBOT3

lies

www.plus.net

and not just because i work there.
yeah go there they rock.

I have it and so do other people i know. If you decide to go with them tell me.

there a very very good ISP
Unread 11 Nov 2002, 11:02   #19
hinch
Banned

hinch is an unknown quantity at this point
plus net suck donkey ****s theyre ****e and their techies have less of a clue than the fangs 16 year old techie.

they seriously dont have a clue and having an adsl backbone with a single point of failure is unforgiviable. + having **** techies that spell coffee on the said single point of failure.

i pay nearly £100 a month for my adsl and atm im busy trying to move everything off it so i can cancell it and tell plus net to go **** them selfs.

when i joined them they were small and rocked
i was one of their first adsl customers since then theyve grown big and become ****E.

go with anyone appart from plusnet
hinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2002, 12:07   #20
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by hinchles
plus net suck donkey ****s theyre ****e and their techies have less of a clue than the fangs 16 year old techie.
That sounds like the techies from most of these firms
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote