User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 21 May 2003, 15:15   #1
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Tech Recommendation

I have two sets of reports, which are currently run daily.

One is a special phone system report, which produces graphs on how many calls (in a call centre type environment) are taken each day, who by, etc, etc. This program produces a report which can then be printed or saved in .CSV format. The data kinda looks like this (in the CSV file):

"Ext#", "Name", "Date", "CallsTaken", "BreakTime", "WorkTime", "Blah"

The second report logs how many particular tasks a user has done (e.g. repairs raised or whatever). The results of this report can be outputted to Excel and then saved as whatever you like. The report will look like :

John Smith, 21
Tom Brown, 12
etc.

Now, at the moment both reports are printed and then the numbers transferred manually into a spreadsheet which records the daily record. Stupidly inefficient obviously.

What tech would you recommend using to try and streamline this somewhat? Please bare in mind that the people doing this aren't exactly computer experts, so that limits it somewhat. Also a purely windows environment, and there's a limit to what they could do on a daily basis.

Two thoughts I had :

1. Get them to run the reports as normal, save the contents into a set directory. Then have a specific Perl script to parse the sets of data and combine them in one .CSV (or whatever).

2. They do have an internal intranet which I could use to do an .ASP style "battlecalc" (i.e. they simply paste the reports in, and then it puts it into a seperate access file).
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 May 2003, 18:38   #2
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, excel will open a csv file.

If you want some automation then I agree, perl is very suited for that.
You can either do the sums in perl or use formulas. Formulas go in in the usual way. Use tab as field separator and give the output file a .xls extension and all you have to do in excel is formatting (or copy the content into an already formatted spreadsheet).

I've done similar things before, the excel spreadsheet version of the stats (posted here) is generated from the published stats using a perl script.
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 May 2003, 23:30   #3
virogenesis
Proud ex EnTitY bc

virogenesis is infamous around these partsvirogenesis is infamous around these parts
what about using xml?
virogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2003, 09:56   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by virogenesis
what about using xml?
Well, I'd need to parse the existing data (i.e. from the reports) into XML and then present the XML somehow - so I'm not sure how that helps my problem.

If this was something from home, I'd simply use PHP to present the data (kinda like Pilkara) using a MySQL db as a backend. However, I don't have access to either PHP or MySQL so I'm looking for the easiest alternative.

And yes, I can use Excel to open up .CSV files, but the key is automation. These people run the reports every day, and a solution which requires too much effort/thought is doomed for failure. The weakness of simply building a Perl parser is (a) I don't know Perl yet, (b) parsers can be easy to break, and I'm not sure how I could make it "user friendly" or adjustable.
Unread 22 May 2003, 10:10   #5
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
... I can use Excel to open up .CSV files, but the key is automation. These people run the reports every day, and a solution which requires too much effort/thought is doomed for failure. The weakness of simply building a Perl parser is (a) I don't know Perl yet, (b) parsers can be easy to break, and I'm not sure how I could make it "user friendly" or adjustable.
Well, I learned perl while doing a project for a friend.
Quote:
Excertp from the "Manual"
Put the log file to be processed in <dir>, make sure it has a .<ext> extension.
Double-click the parse.pl script.
The script asks for the name of the log file (the name includes the extension).
Default value is the most recent file with a .<ext> extension that has not yet been processed.

etc.
Apparently the script is now in production...
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2003, 15:58   #6
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Quote:
And yes, I can use Excel to open up .CSV files, but the key is automation.
In that case wouldnt an Excel Macro make sense?
CjC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2003, 03:26   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by CjC
In that case wouldnt an Excel Macro make sense?
Is that likely to have a lot of flexibility? I've never used Excel macros for anything beyond ridiculously menial tasks.

This would need to handle changes in personnel, plus other random changes.
Unread 24 May 2003, 11:08   #8
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Is that likely to have a lot of flexibility? I've never used Excel macros for anything beyond ridiculously menial tasks.

This would need to handle changes in personnel, plus other random changes.
You can do some fairly serious stuff with VBA these days
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2003, 23:40   #9
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
http://search.cpan.org/author/ALANCI...SV-0.01/CSV.pm

and Robert is your mothers brother.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2003, 10:35   #10
Not_RIT

Not_RIT is an unknown quantity at this point
The easiest and most sensible would be a VBA script to parse the .CSV files and input them into the spreadsheet.
Not_RIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2003, 20:15   #11
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Not_RIT
The easiest and most sensible would be a VBA script to parse the .CSV files and input them into the spreadsheet.
in some alternate universe where easy means hard and hard means easy?

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote