User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 2 Apr 2003, 00:15   #1
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
timsieved sasl authentication problems

Hello, doubt anyone will be able to help me, but never know

I do the email servers for impulsed.net, and I'd like to offer our users (especially one called MT) sieve functionality. Currently we run CMU's cyrus-imapd 2.1.11 and postfix, communicating over an lmtp pipe. Usernames are of the format 'tom.impulsed.net', with postfix rewriting '[email protected]' to "[email protected]' to get around cyrus's (soon to disappear) single host limitations.
Authentication for both smtp and imap is done via mysql, via pam, via saslauthd, via sasl! Pretty convoluted, I know, but its efficient and works (so far) well.

Problem is, I cannot get timsieved (the cyrus sieve daemon for managing sieve scripts) to authenticate.

Code:
> $ telnet mail.impulsed.net sieve
Trying 194.154.163.110...
Connected to mail.impulsed.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
"IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.1.11"
"SASL" "LOGIN PLAIN"
"SIEVE" "fileinto reject envelope vacation imapflags notify subaddress relational regex"
"STARTTLS"
OK
authenticate "login"
{12}
VXNlcm5hbWU6
"dG9tLmltcHVsc2VkLm5ldA=="
{12}
UGFzc3dvcmQ6
"Protected"
NO "Authentication Error"
^]
telnet> quit

As anyone who speaks base64 will tell you, the first line of noise says 'Username:', the second 'tom.impulsed.net' and the third 'Password:'. The fourth has been blanked to stop you reading my emails

Any ideas, hints tips, links anything?

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Apr 2003, 00:53   #2
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: timsieved sasl authentication problems

Google.
Unread 2 Apr 2003, 01:07   #3
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: timsieved sasl authentication problems

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
Google.
don't make words up you silly little boy!
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Apr 2003, 01:23   #4
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

Re: Re: timsieved sasl authentication problems

Quote:
Google.
I believe I may have already done that more than once before enquiring here.

Unread 2 Apr 2003, 01:32   #5
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Re: Re: timsieved sasl authentication problems

Quote:
Originally posted by MT
I believe I may have already done that more than once before enquiring here.
OK, so how is your problem different from this guy: http://www.mail-archive.com/info-cyr.../msg10774.html ?
Have you tried upgrading?
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Apr 2003, 22:47   #6
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

Quey, sunshine of my life, my actual point was that I had already extensively searched for that very info, and you (should) have fully expected that.

Instead of saying "Here you go, I found this on google", you came up with arrogant hacker answer #7.

Whilst that is annoying on its own, the only use for it is for implying "dont you know to google, you miserable cretin", entirely irrelevant in this case.

As an aside, I hadnt searched google as much as I had searched info-cyrus mailing list archive ..

http://asg.web.cmu.edu/archive/searc...term=sieve+pam

Unread 2 Apr 2003, 22:59   #7
queball
Ball

Quote:
Originally posted by MT
Quey, sunshine of my life
Love you too.

OK, as a constructive answer, queball's guide to finding people with the same technical problem as you.

- Take the error message, since this is by far the most characteristic part of the problem. In MT's case this is "no authentication error".

- Type this into Google (in quotes) and look at the first five or so results.

- If you don't see anything relevent, try making your query more specific by adding extra keywords or filtering results with -word. You need to base your strategy on what's wrong with the results you get.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Apr 2003, 23:24   #8
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

(incidently, we now have sieve functioning as expected ;)

Unread 3 Apr 2003, 09:41   #9
Slidey

Slidey is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Love you too.

OK, as a constructive answer, queball's guide to finding people with the same technical problem as you.

- Take the error message, since this is by far the most characteristic part of the problem. In MT's case this is "no authentication error".

- Type this into Google (in quotes) and look at the first five or so results.

- If you don't see anything relevent, try making your query more specific by adding extra keywords or filtering results with -word. You need to base your strategy on what's wrong with the results you get.
have you thought of asking google for a job?

#impulsed - home of genius..?
Slidey is offline   Reply With Quote