User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 24 Mar 2003, 14:59   #1
Rick111

Rick111 is on a distinguished road
mainboard

I have looked around for the last few days trying to find answers and have looked at many mainboards but one question still remains.

I want to spend around £250 on a mainboard, (graphics card), CPU and RAM.

My question is how good are these on board nforce 2 graphics cards?

Go here http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...boards_68.html and check out the “Epox 8RDA+ nForce2 (Socket A) Motherboard (MB-019-EP)”. I had decided I was going to get this board with an atholonxp 2400 and 256 PC3200 Samsung RAM.

Will the graphics card be enough for say C&C Generals? Which needs a 32MB card, or will have to buy a graphics card as well? If that boards not up to the job, how about the “Epox 8RGA+ nForce2 (Socket A) Motherboard (MB-022-EP)” with an on board GF4?

Please advise…
Rick111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2003, 15:58   #2
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
It would be wise to get a better dedicated graphics card to play games and at least 512MB (You are using WinXP or W2k RIGHT?)

Komplett.co.uk does great priced TwinMOS ram if you really wanted to get PC3200 ram, not worth it if you are not going to overclock though.

The mobo itself is good.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2003, 16:05   #3
Rick111

ta
Unread 24 Mar 2003, 16:50   #4
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
nForce2 onboard graphics will be more than fine for most current games. 'Twinned' memory seems a ripoff to me - just buy two regular sticks.

Dabs tells me ...

http://www.aopen.nl/products/mb/AK79G-1394.htm

with two Crucial 256MB PC2700 and a nice little XP 2100+ (boxed, with HSF) comes to a spot over 250 nicker - £254.36 to be precise. You can make that number smaller/larger simply by buying a slower/faster CPU - you wont beat the other prices by much tbh.

dabs quicklinx numbers here ..

CPU: 2C5PWS
Mobo: 2CR0WS
RAM: 226XWS

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2003, 17:33   #5
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
the 8RDA+ DOES NOT have onboard graphics iirc, you will be dissapointed. you will be thinking of the 8RGA
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 11:54   #6
Rick111

yeah i found that out, chhers for your advice guys
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 19:39   #7
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
asus a7n8x is all u need
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 21:08   #8
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Asus have wacky BIOS versions and dodgy temperature readings :S
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 19:19   #9
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
The ABIT NF7-S is basically the same as the 8RDA, but comes with a serial ATA controller and a serillel adaptor. It's usually cheaper than the 8RDA and almost always cheaper than the equivalent ASUS A7N8X.

I think the NF7-M is the same board but with a Geforce4MX on board, but I haven't seen them for sale (although I've not been looking, admittedly). Assume £120 for the board, twinned with a 512MB stick of PC2700 from crucial.com (£61), that gives you £70-odd for a processor, which will almost net you a XP2100 from ebuyer.com. You'll need to get a heatsink for it though, which will occupy another six quid or so (or just get the one MT suggested).

Failing that, hit the auction sites, plenty o' deals.
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 19:36   #10
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Asus's temperature readings can be 'repaired' by just not using thier hopeless proprietry Probe software.
Probe reports temps on my board (A7V333) about 5C higher than they really are (confirmed by various people on asus support boards with external temperature probes etc) and every new version changes the wild inaccuracies it has. On top of that, it's alarm options are truely hopeless - my CPU fan runs so slowly (1500RPM) that there is no way the alarm will turn off because the speed alarm doesn't go that low.

Solution: Use MBM5.

Unread 6 Apr 2003, 12:58   #11
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by cookiemay
asus a7n8x is all u need
thats what i have and its rock solid