User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 8 Mar 2003, 22:46   #1
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
php question (1)

ok, i started learning this strange language.
i tryed to define a class, but i need two constructors, one that takes an argument and one that doesnt.
is that possible? this:
Code:
function Movie($bla){
        }

function Movie() {
        }
doesnt work

(i could work around somehow, if it isnt possible, i just want to know)
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 23:13   #2
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
how do i forward a request? in java i could do something like this:

response.sendRedirect("whereever.jsp");

or

getServletContext().getRequestDispatcher("/whereever.jsp").forward(request, response);

hgow do i do that in php? i know about that include-thingy, but that doesnt give me a new, clean page
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 23:24   #3
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: php question (1)

Quote:
Originally posted by wu_trax
ok, i started learning this strange language.
i tryed to define a class, but i need two constructors, one that takes an argument and one that doesnt.
is that possible? this:
Code:
function Movie($bla){
        }

function Movie() {
        }
doesnt work

(i could work around somehow, if it isnt possible, i just want to know)
http://www.phppatterns.com/index.php...leview/28/1/2/

Edit:
Looks like (as I don't do PHP) that the language didn't until recently include the ability to overload functions, including class constructors, and that the effect was acheivable in 'some other manner' as described in that page.

Last edited by pablissimo; 8 Mar 2003 at 23:31.
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 23:49   #4
wu_trax

thanks, and thanks for that page
(i dont get along with that language at all )
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 23:59   #5
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:

or

getServletContext().getRequestDispatcher("/whereever.jsp").forward(request, response);

hgow do i do that in php? i know about that include-thingy, but that doesnt give me a new, clean page
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.header.php

Not trying to start an argument with anyone, but are you really this desperate for a job?
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 00:28   #6
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
Not trying to start an argument with anyone, but are you really this desperate for a job?
i need to work for half a year in some company as part of my study and every company i found around here does something with php. i think i could do quite a lot with java, but with php ... nothing
without finding a job now i could waste yet another semester on discussing the foreign affairs policy of the usa, which is not all that usefull :/
i guess i should just try to do things a little slower and not try to understand everything at once. i get along with some things though, reading and writing data into a mysql-database is not that complicated

thanks anyway
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 15:59   #7
Ares

Quote:

or

You have to send "Location" Header... for example:
PHP Code:
header ("Location: http://www.example.com"); 
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 18:12   #8
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
You will find with most things that PHP is more of a text manipulation language than a web language, especially when compared to servlets or asp.net.

Dont get me wrong, its very nice (and very free) but its not as polished as its competitors.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 18:23   #9
wu_trax

i just finished my first application (something to access my movie-database) \o/
its very nice you can write a program without having any real idea of what you are doing
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 18:45   #10
Ares

You can't compare PHP with servlets cause PHP is a script language and not a server application. PHP is all right for normal dynamic web pages, but for bigger serverbased applications I'd prefer a language like Java.
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 19:01   #11
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally posted by Ares
You can't compare PHP with servlets cause PHP is a script language and not a server application. PHP is all right for normal dynamic web pages, but for bigger serverbased applications I'd prefer a language like Java.
ididnt want to compare them, its just that ive got some experience with java / jsps and close to none with php
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 20:04   #12
Ares

And I got experience with PHP but not (yet) with Java / jsp
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 16:05   #13
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Ares
You can't compare PHP with servlets cause PHP is a script language and not a server application.
Exactly PHP was never intended to compete with Java et al. Although these days PHP is really looking good. I favour it over ASP for example.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 16:35   #14
wu_trax

i just read something about webservices and php. sounds like you can do a bit more than just acessing a database.
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 02:12   #15
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
i just read something about webservices and php. sounds like you can do a bit more than just acessing a database.
Be careful, grasshopper, for stepping down this path may lead to Demented PHP Disciple syndrom.

Jester
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 10:16   #16
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Quote:
I've written a set of IRC services in PHP.

Easy.
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 12:11   #17
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally posted by Jester
Be careful, grasshopper, for stepping down this path may lead to Demented PHP Disciple syndrom.

Jester
dont worry, i still dont like the language and probably never will
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 23:08   #18
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by xtothez
I've written a set of IRC services in PHP.

Easy.
Considering the amount of IRC services floating around the internet I'd hazard a guess that the simple act of writing an IRC service package is easy in and of itself. The language chosen is of little consequence.

Jester