User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 9 Feb 2003, 03:02   #1
Not_RIT

Not_RIT is an unknown quantity at this point
Stupid thing, need advice on linux thingy.

Well I have been extremely dumb and erm, forgotten my root password on my suse 8.0 install. Its about 5 charectors long and I have tried all my other passwords and it still doesnt work.

So basicly is there anyway in which I could bruteforce it?
Not_RIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Feb 2003, 18:18   #2
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
How to hack a linux box (tm)

Turn it off
Turn it on
at lilo/grub/similar type "linux 1"
at command prompt type "passwd"
enter new root password
reboot

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Feb 2003, 19:49   #3
Not_RIT

Quote:
Originally posted by MT
How to hack a linux box (tm)

Turn it off
Turn it on
at lilo/grub/similar type "linux 1"
at command prompt type "passwd"
enter new root password
reboot
On lilo?

I have the graphical user interface lilo thingy wingy. Im a linux newbie :/
Unread 10 Feb 2003, 00:52   #4
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
There is surely some way even in a GUI setup to run your box as "standalone"? Is there no way to start it up in this "single user" mode without it loading X?

I assume with SuSe you're using the Ximian Gnome desktop? They've got a decent web support thingie you may want to look at.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2003, 01:09   #5
Not_RIT

Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
There is surely some way even in a GUI setup to run your box as "standalone"? Is there no way to start it up in this "single user" mode without it loading X?

I assume with SuSe you're using the Ximian Gnome desktop? They've got a decent web support thingie you may want to look at.

M.
No idea, and I use KDE. Do I press F8 or sommet?
Unread 10 Feb 2003, 02:19   #6
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Not_RIT
On lilo?

I have the graphical user interface lilo thingy wingy. Im a linux newbie :/
You should still be able to type things anyway, try it and see what happens. Your text should come up underneath the lilo dialog.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2003, 10:33   #7
Mong
Forever Delayed

Just try hitting ctrl-c shortly before KDE loads :P

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Unread 10 Feb 2003, 23:19   #8
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
press escape in lilo

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Feb 2003, 01:19   #9
Not_RIT

Quote:
Originally posted by MT
press escape in lilo
If this works I shall devote a small shrine to you.
Unread 11 Feb 2003, 01:29   #10
Not_RIT

No shrine for MT.

It seems that it requires me to input the old root password, the one which I just happend to have forgotten! If im being dumb please point out my stupidity. Any other ideas? Or has anyone got a simple to use root pw cracker?
Unread 11 Feb 2003, 10:32   #11
Mong
Forever Delayed

Rit: There will be some way to boot the box in single-user mode. Thus giving you root access. You shoudl read the docs.

Failing you being able to do that, I'd recommend using the Emergency Boot Floppies that you surely created at installation time!?

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

Unread 11 Feb 2003, 12:20   #12
Not_RIT

Quote:
Rit: There will be some way to boot the box in single-user mode. Thus giving you root access. You shoudl read the docs.

Failing you being able to do that, I'd recommend using the Emergency Boot Floppies that you surely created at installation time!?

M.
I dont have any docs, Im too lazy to read the website

And those backup floppies............erm yeeeh

Looks like a reformat....
Unread 11 Feb 2003, 15:00   #13
Mong
Forever Delayed

Quote:
Originally posted by Not_RIT
Looks like a reformat....
What a waste.

Put Windows back on it!

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

Unread 12 Feb 2003, 16:28   #14
Laze

Laze is an unknown quantity at this point
Get the lilo prompt up enter
linux init=/bin/sh

when the shell prompt comes up type

# mount -o remount -rw /
(on some versions of mount you will need to enter mount -o remount -o rw / but they are now rare and old)
# passwd
enter new root password
# sync
# sync
# sync (yes I do mean type sync 3 times - and yes there is a reason)
# mount -o remount -o ro /

hit reset switch
Laze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 16:36   #15
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
What a waste.

Put Windows back on it!

M.
Or just be 'clever' and keep a boot disk, as has been suggested.
I dont bother for windows as it's not a secure OS (booting into linux overrides all the 'security' options NTFS provides, except for encryption), but i have my linux boot disk in a safe place.
I'm probably more inclined to keep one than most, as due to the way I boot the system (the XP Bootloader comes up first and then LILO is loaded and presents me with the linux options, if I select linux as the OS to boot) when I reconfigure LILO I have to copy the linux bootsector to disk and put it in a file in the root of the XP boot drive. I invariably forget to do this, so LILO throws a wobbly and I have to get out the boot disk and kick myself yet again...

Unread 12 Feb 2003, 17:03   #16
Mong
Forever Delayed

Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
Or just be 'clever' and keep a boot disk, as has been suggested.
I suggested it!

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

Unread 12 Feb 2003, 17:22   #17
Laze

Laze is an unknown quantity at this point
The standard boot disk for most distributions does not let you bypass the root password. It just lets you boot the machine when windows deletes the boot loader again ...
Laze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 17:58   #18
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I know my install of linux isn't exactly super-secure (mandrake 9.0 left in it's default state, pretty much), but the bootdisk would allow him to do what he wants (I just tried it and I'm typing this from linux before booting back to XP).

a) The bootdisk displays the text prompt and clearly states when any extra parameters can be entered.
b) After booting off the disk, I was able to log in as a user account. A bit of fiddling later and I found that while I couldn't access the init command from there, what I could do was:
[matt@hf-hall-stud-233-233-208 matt]$ shutdown now
This dropped me to single user mode and gave me root access in the process.
The exit command got me back to runlevel 5.

I don't know if this is just mandrake being insecure, but its a start.

Unread 12 Feb 2003, 18:02   #19
Not_RIT

Quote:
Originally posted by Laze
Get the lilo prompt up enter
linux init=/bin/sh

when the shell prompt comes up type

# mount -o remount -rw /
(on some versions of mount you will need to enter mount -o remount -o rw / but they are now rare and old)
# passwd
enter new root password
# sync
# sync
# sync (yes I do mean type sync 3 times - and yes there is a reason)
# mount -o remount -o ro /

hit reset switch
Yet another shrine will be dedicated to you. Thankyou