User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 4 Feb 2003, 13:29   #1
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts
Programming Book/Tutorials

Ok, I'm wanting to learn a new programming language, and was thinking either C++/Java/VB.

What I want is a book or a tutorial series that teaches me the basics, then onto the more advanced stuff, but then I want exercises/practical tasks associated with certain things for me to work through as I go, if you understand what I mean.

Any suggestions welcome
Unread 4 Feb 2003, 13:56   #2
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute
For C++ and Java I recommend you have a look at Bruce Eckel's books.

If you're going to do vb, just get a good editor and you won't even need to learn anything

Jester
Unread 4 Feb 2003, 15:25   #3
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
C++ is a horrible language to start learning with, its needlessly complex and low level, and isnt particularly targetted towards the new programmer. Id advise you start with Java or C# to get a 'feel' for programming, then learn C to understand whats happening 'behind the scenes'. Dont touch visual basic unless its VB.NET (and even then dont bother, C# is better anyway).

Bruce Eckels Java book does assume a working knowledge of programming, so I wouldnt really recommend it if you dont have previous experience...
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2003, 16:11   #4
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Java as a first language is a good plan, C++ isn't actually too complicated if you've done some programming before, if you've never touched anything like it yet I'd stick with the Java route as Senor Rog says.

We've been advised to use Deitel and Deitel's Java How To Program, I've not got a copy myself, but from what I've seen it's a nice intro to the whole shebang.
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2003, 16:55   #5
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
interesting..
12 months ago no-one recommended java, and now everyone does

hmm.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 4 Feb 2003, 17:54   #6
Supernova9
m u p p e t

I've had programming experience, but mainly with the tragic Pascal we were forced into using if we had no other 'weapon of choice' at college. I've started Java, but the main problem I have is when starting languages is tasks to work through to let me see how things work in practise, and how to implement them myself, which is where most books I find fall down.

Will look at Bruce Eckel's Java book later tonight then, ta to all
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 00:25   #7
Epcylon

Epcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of light
I suggest Python. Easy to learn the basics, and you're forced to learn some proper coding techniques as well...

Don't have that many books to recommend tbh, because most of the language is properly documented on web, and easy to figure out... Programming Python from O'Reilly is regarded as a good book though (atleast around here)...
[R12]: HR free-pe0n | [R13-]: HR pe0n
Epcylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 09:25   #8
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Epcylon
I suggest Python. Easy to learn the basics, and you're forced to learn some proper coding techniques as well...
Yes!

Supernova said 'another programming language' which is what I based my recommendations on.

Jester
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 21:47   #9
Epcylon

Epcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of lightEpcylon is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by Jester667
Yes!

Supernova said 'another programming language' which is what I based my recommendations on.
Hmm... can't decide if you're agreeing with my suggestion, or claiming Python isn't a programming language..

If you're agreeing... good...

If not... how do you define "Programming language"?
[R12]: HR free-pe0n | [R13-]: HR pe0n
Epcylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 22:25   #10
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Quote:
Originally posted by Epcylon
Hmm... can't decide if you're agreeing with my suggestion, or claiming Python isn't a programming language..

If you're agreeing... good...

If not... how do you define "Programming language"?
The first line was in response to you, the second in response to those claiming 'thats all too hard' or 'better start with this instead'.

Jester
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 22:43   #11
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by NEWSBOT3
interesting..

hmm.
And I have no idea why. With the MS VM about to be pretty much scrapped and replaced with the POS Sun VM Java programming is about to turn into a living hell for a lot of people.

Unless MS get jammy again that is.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 22:45   #12
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
And I have no idea why. With the MS VM about to be pretty much scrapped and replaced with the POS Sun VM Java programming is about to turn into a living hell for a lot of people.

Ignore him, what he said is not true.

Jester
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 23:19   #13
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo

We've been advised to use Deitel and Deitel's Java How To Program, I've not got a copy myself, but from what I've seen it's a nice intro to the whole shebang.
If you arent an inbred idiot, you should avoid Deitel et fil, as their books are generally crap. Really bad.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 00:07   #14
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Jester667
Ignore him, what he said is not true.

Jester
Point to one thing that's wrong in that statement then.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 04:30   #15
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
How about three things?

Quote:
Originally posted by NEWSBOT3
interesting..

hmm.
- 12 months ago there existed people who did recommend Java.
- At present, there exist people who do not recommend Java.
- Generally, Java gets recommended less now than it did 12 months ago.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 09:57   #16
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk

Erm... why? You make it sound like java should be widely used in client-side programming or something. Whats wrong with the Sun VM anyway?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 10:45   #17
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by MT
If you arent an inbred idiot, you should avoid Deitel et fil, as their books are generally crap. Really bad.
You're looking at them knowing multiple languages and general programming theory, I was suggesting it for someone who'd had no programming experience whatsoever (which now seems inappropriate given there is Pascal experience there).
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 11:44   #18
Not_RIT

Not_RIT is an unknown quantity at this point
If you just want to learn something which gives quick results then look at VB6 and VBA. VBA is the funkiest tho
Not_RIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 14:23   #19
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
You're looking at them knowing multiple languages and general programming theory, I was suggesting it for someone who'd had no programming experience whatsoever (which now seems inappropriate given there is Pascal experience there).
No mate, I'm looking at their books and going "they charge £35 for this rubbish". Eckel is very softly softly, and I recommend him every time, because he actually knows how to write a good book.

Testimony of that is that he gives away all his books (as ebooks) for free, and still makes a fortune selling hard copy of the books.

Deitel snr is a university professor - his job is research. Eckel is a trainer - he spends all his working hours training people to be proficient at programming. I know who I'd rather give my money to.

Unread 6 Feb 2003, 15:17   #20
Not_RIT

Quote:
Originally posted by MT
No mate, I'm looking at their books and going "they charge £35 for this rubbish". Eckel is very softly softly, and I recommend him every time, because he actually knows how to write a good book.

Testimony of that is that he gives away all his books (as ebooks) for free, and still makes a fortune selling hard copy of the books.

Deitel snr is a university professor - his job is research. Eckel is a trainer - he spends all his working hours training people to be proficient at programming. I know who I'd rather give my money to.
Spend it on beer and download the free ebook version?
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 16:02   #21
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by MT

Touché, I'm only recommending them from them being recommended on the course, and knowing a couple of people who've used them have (so far) found them to be a good learning tool.
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 23:34   #22
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Not_RIT
Spend it on beer and download the free ebook version?
Download the ebook, and if I think it is useful after a 30 minute read, buy the book. Its hard to read an ebook in bed.

Beer is overrated anyway.

Unread 7 Feb 2003, 01:49   #23
Not_RIT

Quote:
Originally posted by MT
Download the ebook, and if I think it is useful after a 30 minute read, buy the book. Its hard to read an ebook in bed.

You mean you dont have an ebook viewer to read the ebook on while in bed?

Nor me
Unread 7 Feb 2003, 10:21   #24
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by MT
I used to like you.
Unread 7 Feb 2003, 11:19   #25
Heiper

Very long time no see Supernova9.

Anyways, I would suggest you look for a book called Absolute C++ and also by the Student Supplements for some nice task to train with. It's a nice intro to the C++ world.

I would also suggest that you look into Java programming, most Uni's start with Java first, then C++

Good to hear you are still alive and kicking
Unread 7 Feb 2003, 14:34   #26
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Quote:
Originally posted by Heiper
Very long time no see Supernova9.

Anyways, I would suggest you look for a book called Absolute C++ and also by the Student Supplements for some nice task to train with. It's a nice intro to the C++ world.

I would also suggest that you look into Java programming, most Uni's start with Java first, then C++

Good to hear you are still alive and kicking
Wow, a very long time indeed

Thanks for the advice, will look into it. Pop by and catch me on IRC, same channels as ever.