User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 12 Jan 2003, 22:40   #1
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Example of a black/red binary search tree

(specifically for XtoTheZ, but others may like to critique me)

Code:
public class CDCollection {

CDNode root;

public CDCollection() {
    root = null;
  }

public void addCD(CD toAdd) {
    CDNode curr = root, parent = null;
    int direction = 0;
    if (root==null) {
      root = new CDNode(toAdd);
      return;
    }
    for (;;) {
      if(curr==null) {
        if (direction < 0)
          parent.left = new CDNode(toAdd);
        else
          parent.right = new CDNode(toAdd);
        return;
      }
      direction = toAdd.toString().compareTo(curr.data.toString());
      if (direction == 0)
        return;
      parent = curr;
      if (direction < 0)
        curr = curr.left;
      else
        curr = curr.right;
    }
  }

public boolean contains(CD me) {
    return contains(me,root);
  }

public boolean contains(CD me, CDNode top) {
    if (top==null)
      return false;
    int direction = me.toString().compareTo(top.data.toString());
    if (direction == 0)
      return true;
    if (direction < 0)
      return contains(me,top.left);
    return contains(me,top.right);
  }

public void printElems() {
    printElems(root);
  }

public void printElems(CDNode top) {
    if (top!=null) {
      printElems(top.left);
      System.out.println(top.data.toString());
      printElems(top.right);
    }
  }

public static void main(String[] args) {
    CDCollection c = new CDCollection();
    CD myfavouritecdever = new CD("When your in love with a beautiful woman","DR HOOK!",9.99,7);
    c.addCD(new CD("My Favourites","Winker",9.99,10));
    c.addCD(new CD("Awful songs","some guy",19.99,5));
    c.addCD(new CD("MT Rocks","A Believer",9.99,22));
    c.addCD(new CD("Rubbish single","Gayboy",9.99,3));
    c.printElems();
    System.out.println(c.contains(myfavouritecdever));
    c.addCD(myfavouritecdever);
    System.out.println(c.contains(myfavouritecdever));
  }

class CDNode {
    CDNode left;
    CDNode right;
    CD data;

CDNode(CD data) {
      this.data = data;
    }
  }

}

code which XtoTheZ was supplied with (and enforced to use, otherwise I wouldnt have had to sort on toString method :/)

Code:
public class CD {

private String name,singer;
  private double price;
  private int numtracks;

public CD(String name, String singer, double price, int numTracks) {
    this.price = price;
    this.singer = singer;
    this.name = name;
    this.numtracks = numTracks;
  }

public String toString() {
    StringBuffer sb = new StringBuffer();
    sb.append('[');
    sb.append(singer);
    sb.append("] [");
    sb.append(name);
    sb.append("] [");
    sb.append(price);
    sb.append("] [");
    sb.append(numtracks);
    sb.append(']');
    return sb.toString();
  }
}

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 22:57   #2
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
MT rocks.

However:
[21:52] <XtoTheZ> as tempted as i am to hand that in, i'll can bet they'll come and ask me what it means
[21:52] <XtoTheZ> and as i dont have a fking clue...
[21:53] <@MT> heh
Unread 13 Jan 2003, 00:13   #3
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
That's not red/black, that's just a normal binary tree, you utter tard.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2003, 00:14   #4
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
that's my critque btw
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2003, 00:25   #5
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

you right as always, i just wanted to simulate interest!

Unread 13 Jan 2003, 00:25   #6
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by MT
you right as always, i just wanted to simulate interest!
Translation: I was shit and got it wrong.

Unread 13 Jan 2003, 00:30   #7
Idi

whats red/black searching then ?
Unread 13 Jan 2003, 01:02   #8
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Idi
whats red/black searching then ?
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~gurar...is680Ch11.html

I never really understood them so I've never used one. Good job I've never had to sort a large data pool
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2003, 01:17   #9
Idi

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~gurar...is680Ch11.html

I never really understood them so I've never used one. Good job I've never had to sort a large data pool
i have decided i dislike red/black search trees. they make my head turn gloopy.
Unread 13 Jan 2003, 01:33   #10
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Red black trees are horrible. Its one of those things you get forced to learn in academia algorithm classes, but I suspect youd never ever use them outside of college, unless you were building a data structures library from scratch, which is something about 1 in 100043 people will do.

I COULD BE WRONG THOUGH!!
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2003, 04:23   #11
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
Red black trees are horrible. Its one of those things you get forced to learn in academia algorithm classes, but I suspect youd never ever use them outside of college, unless you were building a data structures library from scratch, which is something about 1 in 100043 people will do.

I COULD BE WRONG THOUGH!!
There are other, better, ways at getting a good binary search tree. So even if you do build a data structures library from scratch (assuming it has some functional purpose, and isn't just for educational purposes) you won't really use it anyway. Or so I seem to recall from way back when I learned the stuff.
Unread 13 Jan 2003, 06:19   #12
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by W
There are other, better, ways at getting a good binary search tree. So even if you do build a data structures library from scratch (assuming it has some functional purpose, and isn't just for educational purposes) you won't really use it anyway. Or so I seem to recall from way back when I learned the stuff.
hmmm, ill take your word for it if youve actually studied it to any level. As far as I know however, r/b is the most allround efficient binary tree in existence, and its used quite often within libraries. Java Collections makes use of it for quite a few things iirc, although I dont know aobut any other popular libraries.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote