User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 9 Jan 2003, 14:28   #1
Deathjam
Banned

Deathjam is an unknown quantity at this point
new computer

i just ordered this little lot

i already got a gf4 and i'll rip everything else outta this computer

anyway

QTY Description (£)Exc VAT (£)Inc VAT Total

Asus A7V8X-LSA1394 DDR333 KT400 x8AGP +Lan+USB2+ATA150+FW 1394 £82.50 £96.94 £96.94

AMD *Retail* Athlon XP 2400+ (2.00 GHz) with AMD H/S/F 3 Yrs Warranty £129.00 £151.58 £151.58

Scan '2010' ATX Midi Tower 350W PFC PSU + HDD Cooler + 3 x 80mm Fan + 3 Colours £44.00 £51.70 £51.70

120Gb Western Digital (WD1200JB) ATA-100 (7200rpm, 8MB Cache, 8.5ms) Quiet Drive Technology 3Yr £116.75 £137.18 £137.18

256Mb PC2700 (PC333) DDR Memory (Major) £38.00 £44.65 £44.65

Deathjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 16:43   #2
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
Threads like these should be banned
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 17:16   #3
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
send the case back ffs

www.caseheaven.com

or buy a chieftec one from scan....
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 17:28   #4
Deathjam
Banned

god damnit
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 18:26   #5
Sakera
The Nosferatu

Sakera is an unknown quantity at this point
mora ram
Round 3: 79:11:1 - Fx9
Round 4: 30:14:8 (Smurf Village) - Fx9/Elysium/Fury/NFU
Round 5: 21:4:1- Fury/NFU
Round 6: 27:13:3 - Silver/Elysium
Round 7: 21:21:11 - Elysium
Round 8: 45:7:4 - Elysium
Round 9: 40:9:1 - Farmer/abuser/blatant liar/providers doll
Sakera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 18:28   #6
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
you will kick yourself if you dont get a nforce2. VIA are the spawn of the devil.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 18:43   #7
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by MT
you will kick yourself if you dont get a nforce2. VIA are the spawn of the devil.
ditto

also the psu is probably not sufficient.

see the guide on this forum for PSU choosing.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 20:01   #8
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
Re: new computer

Quote:
Originally posted by Deathjam

QTY Description (£)Exc VAT (£)Inc VAT Total

Asus A7V8X-LSA1394 DDR333 KT400 x8AGP +Lan+USB2+ATA150+FW 1394 £82.50 £96.94 £96.94

U shoulda bought the

Asus A7N8X-Deluxe - nForce-2 - x8 AGP+Lan+6Ch Sound+SATA+1394+SATA-RAID+USB2 £102.00 £119.85

yes it does cost extra but its far better
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 23:17   #9
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
i have started a cult following of that mobo :-))))))))

i should contact Asus and demand payment for all the free advertising i give em.
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 03:04   #10
Deathjam
Banned

but the nforce2 has all that onboard gfx ****, and cos i already got a topnotch gf4, i'd be paying for stuff i already have

which is pointless

anyway i've used via mobo for as long as i can remember and i've had no probs

anyway this is like the limit of my cash
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 13:14   #11
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by JammyJim
i have started a cult following of that mobo :-))))))))
It's just the same "I wanna be like the admin" person each time
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 13:43   #12
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
but the nforce2 has all that onboard gfx ****, and cos i already got a topnotch gf4, i'd be paying for stuff i already have

which is pointless
Actually, most boards dont carry the onboard gfx. There are two varients of the chipset
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 13:43   #13
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I don't think it does actually, judging by the description anyway... I've actually not seen any place online where they are selling the NF2 + IGP
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 15:05   #14
Pitchfork
Tourist

Pitchfork is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Sakera
mora ram
xeah, at least double
Pitchfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 18:35   #15
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
I got the asus A7V8X motherboard too, deluxe. I have some problems though: its saying my memory is running at 133mhz on the 1st screen even though its ddr, so I go into bios and change the % rate to 200 then it doesnt boot at all! I had to end up clearing the cmos and leaving it at 133. Its also saying I have a boot virus thingy or something after lilo comes up, guess I'll either have to disable that in bios or remove lilo from the mbr, any1 know how this is done?

p.s I have the same cpu and its max fsb is 133...unless you plan on using that pencil trick thing or whatever it is that ram you dont need I think

- Q

Last edited by sh@dow; 10 Jan 2003 at 20:24.
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 02:47   #16
JammyJim
Godfather

shadow it multiplies it.

the memory speed isnt running at 133 its running at 266
or if you set it to 166 then you get 332 (333)

thats what i was told anyway...

its the same with the FSB thing. the board runs at 133 but multiplied it becomes 266 which is what the athlon runs at.

correct me if im wrong tho...
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 02:50   #17
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
You're correct JJ.
I'm not sure of the mechanics of it, but the name is the clue - Double Data Rate. Somehow for a single clock cycle you get 2 operations passed along on whichever bus you're talking about (frontside or memory).
So 133 becomes 266 etc.

The wonders of modern technology...
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 03:05   #18
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
ah ok, just thought it would actually say the memory was running at 266 though, this line 'memory running at 133mhz' just put me off

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 04:33   #19
JammyJim
Godfather

make sure the FSB % increase thingy is set to 0.5 or 1% or whatever you can set it at (im on a differnet computer and i cant remember wtf its called or what the settings are)

itll give you a minor increase in FSB speed. nothing special but it squeezes a few extra mhz out of the memory and the cpu.