User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 11 Dec 2002, 21:00   #1
NightSinner
Gimp Handler

NightSinner is an unknown quantity at this point
So someone finally bought PA, now what?

so what is gonna happen is Spinner and Zeus still be involded in the R'n'D ( hopefully not ) or is the whole thing gonna be transferred over to them with no more inteference from 5th season?

And also how do they intened to attract a customer base, anywhere near the one they had? This is gonna be interesting

And how many of you veterans will come out of retirement and give PA another whirl?

Something to discuss....?
<Blue|WORKING> they are all sitting on a LAN
<Blue|WORKING> DUH
<[RO]NightSinner> hehe
<[RO]NightSinner> my mistake
<TomKat> Lithuanian Area Network
NightSinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2002, 21:05   #2
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Does anyone find this amusing?

Quote:
About Planetarion

A massive multiplayer game, Planetarion is a science fiction strategy game where thousands of planets and hundreds of galaxies fight for survival and domination of the universe. Every participant in Planetarion controls their own planet, from which they gather and exploit resources to help them develop advanced technology and construct vast fleets to attack other planets.

Planetarion is played through an html interface, and does not require the download or installation of any additional software. Play progresses in real time, with the universe advancing one “tick” per hour. This ease of access combined with compulsive game play makes for a uniquely compelling experience that has seen in excess of 180,000 players at any one time.
< ----------- ~15 lines
About Sim-Tech

Sim-Tech has been developing and publishing award winning games software and books for seven years
<-----------1 line
Unread 11 Dec 2002, 21:15   #3
NightSinner
Gimp Handler

what i find funny is that does sim-tech and jolt know that the member base si around 5k ( a generous speculation)

Ladbrokes r now taking bets as to when Jolt and Sim-Tech go under. Xmas any1?
<Blue|WORKING> DUH
<[RO]NightSinner> hehe
Unread 11 Dec 2002, 22:49   #4
Haer
Aquafresh

Haer has a spectacular aura aboutHaer has a spectacular aura aboutHaer has a spectacular aura about
Tbh I would also like some more details.

Plans for next round?

When?
Free/p2p?(Now, and in the future?)
Game stays as it is and develops slowly or will we see a large overhaul?
How much did you get?
Haer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2002, 23:26   #5
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
If the game becomes free once more(at least a round or two), and has major overhauling (not all the **** that has been coming these last rounds) etc, then *maybe* i will come back.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2002, 23:34   #6
Androme

so let me get this straight

SimTech have bought PA and are paying Jolt to host Planetarion. But SimTech don't have the resources to run servers of their own for Jolt. So if PA is to be hosted on Jolt, where will SimTech run into play ?
Unread 11 Dec 2002, 23:47   #7
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Androme

SimTech have bought PA and are paying Jolt to host Planetarion. But SimTech don't have the resources to run servers of their own for Jolt. So if PA is to be hosted on Jolt, where will SimTech run into play ?
It's simple really isn't it.

Sim-tech do all the coding, designing and stuff to do with making the game work, which is what they apparantly do; Jolt do all the hosting and server/db admin stuff, which we already know they do (and do quite well judging by the pings on those game servers they run.)

They charge us to play pa, and split the money between themselves whatever way they have arranged.

Simple.

**>>Note: this is just my idle speculation<<**
Unread 11 Dec 2002, 23:57   #8
RooKie
Boy without a toy

RooKie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Androme

I guess u dont have a business degree?

WC 2 Winners "TiG's Terrific Tribe" 3:21

Quicknet Webdesign & Neteffects Søkemotoroptimalisering
RooKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2002, 01:22   #9
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Lakhim is on a distinguished road
What does Sim-tech do anyway, I mean, what kind of games have they put out
Lakhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2002, 02:30   #10
Trend-y-Poo
Banned

Trend-y-Poo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by NightSinner
what i find funny is that does sim-tech and jolt know that the member base si around 5k ( a generous speculation)

Ladbrokes r now taking bets as to when Jolt and Sim-Tech go under. Xmas any1?

are u that ignorant to even bring up this idea? I mean OF COURSE they know the player base, obviously they did some research into the gaming community to find out what it was about. Jolt as we already know is a well established organization as well. Plz try and not to be so arrogant next time around and use a little bit of the small amount of grey matter in your head.
Trend-y-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2002, 02:34   #11
ÐarkÅngel
Innocent..

ÐarkÅngel is on a distinguished road
Re: So someone finally bought PA, now what?

Quote:
so what is gonna happen is Spinner and Zeus still be involded in the R'n'D ( hopefully not ) or is the whole thing gonna be transferred over to them with no more inteference from 5th season?

And also how do they intened to attract a customer base, anywhere near the one they had? This is gonna be interesting

And how many of you veterans will come out of retirement and give PA another whirl?

Nighty!!!!!!

umm.. where the hell have you been?? You vanished with out a trace, damnit
ÐarkÅngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2002, 06:48   #12
NightSinner
Gimp Handler

where r u DA is all i say u know where u can find me and me and valle both want u in there

and also i agree with most peeps we want specifics....and more importantly how r they gonna attract new people or even the old ones back?
<Blue|WORKING> DUH
<[RO]NightSinner> hehe
Unread 12 Dec 2002, 08:40   #13
Ulysses
Impudent

Ulysses is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I doubt very much that 5th Season will have any input, other than perhaps some "technical advice" on the mechanics of the game.

Other than that, why would a new Company want to keep on the remains of the old failed company?

Quote:

It is called ADVERTISING, a well known ploy to attract new customers in most businesses.

Quote:

Who knows what "veterans" may do? if they like the look of the game they will come back, if not then perhaps new blood will come along and help boost the player base.
Ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2002, 12:05   #14
Silva baby
sexy honky chic

Silva baby is an unknown quantity at this point
mebbe Jolt can advertise to its community attract more players and henc emore revenue from higher advertisin prices~

Ex-Silver BC
Forever in Elysium

i have [FAITH] in myself, [FAITH] in my galaxy, and [FAITH] in my alliance
do you?

[FAITH][SILVER]
Silva baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2002, 13:57   #15
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually we are going to start charging you £5 a month to use these forums.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2002, 14:13   #16
NightSinner
Gimp Handler

Quote:
Originally posted by MT
Actually we are going to start charging you £5 a month to use these forums.
evil
<Blue|WORKING> DUH
<[RO]NightSinner> hehe
Unread 12 Dec 2002, 14:48   #17
Salomo
Commodore

Salomo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Going by the popularity boost Zeus has received through his work to help PA continue existing it would seem very unwise of them to not use him as their spokeman towards this comunity (PR manager, medium between company and players, however you wanna call it), and the fact, that the press release was written by him could be a first indication of this. Due to all the speculation about the credibility of the new owner thats allready going on they will need someone that is known throughout the comunity and in whos good intent the comunity in general trusts.

Spinner prolly has a new job allready somewhere (judging that based on the lack of recent input from his side), Oreo seems to be gone as well, and Fudge might be usefull for the new owner to help the new coders etc. get used to the PA stuff.

r1: n00b
r2: 7:11 - T7C HC, WaC(Jr), Sedition HC
r3: 31:25 - Sedition, Century, SL HC
r4: 95:21 - BlueTubas'
r5: 30:5 - BlueTubas, VtS
r6: 33:24:1 - Deus Ex Machina HC, politically retired
r7: 38:22 -> 26:11 - RaH peon
r8: 12:3:4 - Defended by 1:1
Salomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2002, 14:51   #18
RooKie
Boy without a toy

RooKie is an unknown quantity at this point
Fudge and Oreo got new jobs some time ago, Spinner is sorting his private life by giving his family some time they lost the past few years.

WC 2 Winners "TiG's Terrific Tribe" 3:21

Quicknet Webdesign & Neteffects Søkemotoroptimalisering
RooKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2002, 16:29   #19
ÐarkÅngel
Innocent..

ÐarkÅngel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
where r u DA is all i say u know where u can find me and me and valle both want u in there

and also i agree with most peeps we want specifics....and more importantly how r they gonna attract new people or even the old ones back?
and you know what happened in R6 and why I wont go to that room.. and I doubt valle thinks that

You can also come to #ostraka .. like the others.. but its nice to see that your alive after all these months

as for the post.. I can only think that if the new owners can afford it, that they make it a free game, to entice people to play, build a user base that is quite abit larger then what it is now.. hopefully that will bring back people that havent played,.. bring in new people that play the other games that sem-tech and jolt offer..

but I guess it all remains to be seen..
ÐarkÅngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Dec 2002, 09:56   #20
Black_Doom_

Quote:
no more inteference from 5th season?
Need I remind you that without 5th season, there would be no Planetarion? I don't think you could seriously ask them to have done a better service to us all. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, you can look back now and 'moan' about how badly things were done, but in truth they were handled as best as they could do.

Quote:
Originally posted by Snurx
If the game becomes free once more(at least a round or two), and has major overhauling (not all the **** that has been coming these last rounds) etc, then *maybe* i will come back.
Don't bother. If your attitude to the game development is that it was wasted, then PA obviously is not the game for you. Would you really have us playing round 3 ship stats again? Does no one remember how BAD those stats were! The only reason so many people 'enjoyed' the round, was because there were 100k+ players and so an almost unlimited supply of targets. Okay, so the current race system could do with more expansion to allow for a more diverse game, where a players race doesn't completely define all the ships they have.
Unread 13 Dec 2002, 11:46   #21
furssie
Spastic Drivel!

furssie can only hope to improve
It's practical to make the game 'free' for a round or two.

A major factor is due to the fact it has a new owner/'developer' it has to undergo some semi-beta rounds, like pa is again in it's infancy stage but not really.
furssie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2002, 10:58   #22
Buly The Great

Buly The Great is an unknown quantity at this point
Where the feck have you been these past rounds anyways NS?