User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 21 Nov 2002, 13:18   #1
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Ebuyer

my first though was to put this in H+TS but its not really a hardware question, and is more of a discussion. And this appears to be the place for discussion. Hence :

Anyway, the ISP i now work for used to use Ebuyer to supply all our ADSL hardware.

However the start of this month we ditched them and moved to our parent company (www.insight.com/uk).

Ebuyer then started to be, problematic just before we ended. For instance they waited till there was 300+ orders queued before announcing they had no stock left, but then at the same time advertised the same stuff in their newsletter. (Thus dumping us in it, as the new supplier system wasnt set up yet, so everyones hardware was delayed a week, and they all got pissed off)

Now, ebuyer.com is cheap for pc goods. And some point in the next 6 months i'll be purchasing 1 or 2 new PCs.
But given the above experience, im reluctant to buy from them in future. Anyone got any ebuyer (Good/Bad) experiences they'd care to share ?
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 14:03   #2
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
My gf wanted to buy £300 worth of stuff. I already have an ebuyer account, so I tried to put it on my account since it'll come to the same address. They wouldn't let me buy goods with my gf's debit card, which I suppose is fair enough.

But when trying to create an account in her name, that was blocked too since she lives in the same student house as me - you can't have two accounts registered to the same address. Luckily I could un-register my address from my account because no goods had ever been delivered there. Had there been a history of goods delivered to my address, I wouldn't have been able to, and the only way around would have been for me to pay for them. She was in a bloody hurry for those goods, and very nearly went elsewhere.

On top of that, she couldn't contact ebuyer about the problem - they have this ridiculous enotes system that replaces email, and you need to have an account to send and receive enotes. Not much use when you problem is about registering an account...

Plus sending enotes about the problem from my account got one line automated answers at best, which really topped it all off.

Having said that, Ebuyer win majorly on prices, and have a much much easier to use website than all of their competitors (lo dabs). Don't buy memory, motherboards or processors from them (you can usually get better/cheaper elsewhere), but for things like printers, hard disks, mice etc. they rock. Plus free delivery for orders over £100 is the win. Computer I built recently had motherboard/processor from ebay, memory from crucial, graphics card and mouse from dabs, and everything else from ebuyer. The case is a bit naff, but looks nice and only cost £20. You get what you pay for I suppose.
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 14:17   #3
Cocaine

Quote:
Originally posted by Miserableman
My gf wanted to buy £300 worth of stuff. I already have an ebuyer account, so I tried to put it on my account since it'll come to the same address. They wouldn't let me buy goods with my gf's debit card, which I suppose is fair enough.

But when trying to create an account in her name, that was blocked too since she lives in the same student house as me - you can't have two accounts registered to the same address. Luckily I could un-register my address from my account because no goods had ever been delivered there. Had there been a history of goods delivered to my address, I wouldn't have been able to, and the only way around would have been for me to pay for them. She was in a bloody hurry for those goods, and very nearly went elsewhere.

On top of that, she couldn't contact ebuyer about the problem - they have this ridiculous enotes system that replaces email, and you need to have an account to send and receive enotes. Not much use when you problem is about registering an account...

Plus sending enotes about the problem from my account got one line automated answers at best, which really topped it all off.

Having said that, Ebuyer win majorly on prices, and have a much much easier to use website than all of their competitors (lo dabs). Don't buy memory, motherboards or processors from them (you can usually get better/cheaper elsewhere), but for things like printers, hard disks, mice etc. they rock. Plus free delivery for orders over £100 is the win. Computer I built recently had motherboard/processor from ebay, memory from crucial, graphics card and mouse from dabs, and everything else from ebuyer. The case is a bit naff, but looks nice and only cost £20. You get what you pay for I suppose.
people find the dabs site hard ?

i've never used ebuyer, im gonna be upgrading for doom3 so i spose i should check them out
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 16:12   #4
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought a bunch of stuff from them, most annoying of all was I had spotted a used hansol 920P for £115, so I added that to the order, only to be emailed the next day saying it was out of stock ..... by the time I'd sorted that out with them (and gone to a brand new hansol for £135) the CD-R x 100 was out of stock, so another phone call to change that to 2 x 50. After that tho, all the stuff arrived pronto, and I even managed to blag them sending it next day (paid for 3 day).

Ordered on monday, 3 day delivery, expected thursday
Monitor gone on Tuesday, rearranged, expected friday
nothing happened on wednesday
CD-R gone on thursday, called up and was very demanding, expected friday
Arrived friday \o/

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 16:49   #5
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
I ordered on a Friday, and all stuff arrived Tuesday (was expecting Wednesday).

Everything was present and correct. I got it all from eBuyer cos it was best for *most* prices, and with the free delivery, it's a winner.

I guess because they get it right most of the time, there's not as much need for comprehensive support setup?

I'd vote for them - even if they do have a vicious security system it seems!

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 17:01   #6
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
I bought my mobo, GFx and PSU from them, delivery was free, no troubles.

I ordered on friday morning, PSU came in on monday morning, and mobo/gfx on wednesday morning.

Apparently they have a dodgy returns process.

I wanted to get my CPU from them, but they were out of stock, many of their products are cheaper @ Ebuyer than other places, but delivery is only free with purchases over £100.

I find http://www.overclockingstore.co.uk to be good, I got my CPU/Heatsink/RAM/thermal materials from them, also ordered the same Friday morning, it came 23hrs later on a saturday with 3 day free service, ace.

delivery is free for any order with 3 day service.

They also have a forum where technical and admin staff ALWAYS visit and can sort your problems on the spot with a simple post.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 17:51   #7
hinch
Banned

hinch is an unknown quantity at this point
[megla]
I LOVE THE ****
[/megla]

Last edited by hinch; 22 Nov 2002 at 13:24.
hinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 19:06   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
You can't call them anymore afaik - you have to use thier stupid enote system (you fill in a little form detailing your request/complaint/problem/death threat) which they take ages to answer to, from my own experience.
Having said that, I only had to use it once and it was Asus's fault for supplying broken hardware.

I've had no problems with them regarding stocking and delivery, and once they'd finally responded to the enote a replacement was sent pronto.

Dabs I've never had any problems with either.

Jungle, on the other hand, I would not touch with a 10 foot barge pole.

Unread 21 Nov 2002, 20:26   #9
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
got my router from there, no problems. how boring of me
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 21:43   #10
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I now use Insight for all the work stuff. I never have any problems with stuff and I can get away with asking silly questions like 'You got any of those USB thingies in stock, you know the ram things' and Nathan (the account manager) knows what I am talking about

How cool is that ?

Ebuyer sucked arse. Constant out of stock and problems with invoice addresses.

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote