User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 20 Nov 2002, 17:34   #1
Slidey

Slidey is an unknown quantity at this point
Help Needed !

im writing some coursework on the advantages and disadvantages of connection-oriented service and connectionless service for the quality of service of the internet..

i thought this'd be easy as i know all about tcp and udp, and that udp is good for things like nfs and streaming media, whereas tcp is good for pop3, ftp etc

however, ive run out of ideas, and ive got a fair chunk to fill. Ive written about the OSI model and how TCP/IP fits in with it. Ive written about tcp and udp seperately, and listed some of their advantages adn disadvantages

can anyone give me some ideas of what else you think should go in there

any ideas i can expand into something a bit more solid but im really really having a brain freeze and the deadline isnt far away!

cheers in advance

Slidey

#impulsed - home of genius..?
Slidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2002, 18:16   #2
Slidey

cmon guys!

thoughts on how tcp and udp increase or decrease the quality of the internet!

Unread 20 Nov 2002, 18:57   #3
hinch
Banned

hinch is an unknown quantity at this point
how udp is the protocol of choice for gaming servers and how due to the lack of packet checking in udp they had to write their own methods of packet checking etc to resolve net freeze issues etc however they still get bad/fragmented packet errors especially to users on 56k
hinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2002, 19:15   #4
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
You could go a bit deeper in the time-critical media that are under development. Think of VOIP (Voice Over IP) which is meant to be a replacement for the ordinary telephone system.
VOIP actually covers every problem one can think of in time-critical internet media.
Explain why it is so difficult to implement time-critical media due to the unreliability of the internet. Explain why the internet is unreliable for these techniques.
Explain how these problems are solved or diminished (by buffers, or data reduction in the stream).

Also, don't forget an extensive explanation of what connection-oriented and connectionless is.

I can very muchly recommend reading about VOIP. Sadly I don't have any linkage as I got my information from a book:
Author: Comer
Title: Internetworking with TCP/IP
Unread 20 Nov 2002, 20:22   #5
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
well whenever I ask for college related help anywhere on the internet I get 'fk off you leech' etc so no

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2002, 20:24   #6
mikay

mikay is an unknown quantity at this point
Comer writes the best books.

If you're covering VOIP and the telephony area mb you could do a little mention of SS7 too.

<breeze|away> i agree about mang tho .. he is our mentor of perviness

R4: 48:25:13, 2E5 HC R5: n00b
R6: 3:10:1 Mangor, The Daddy
R7: 3:3:11 Retired
R8: c43 Finally free
PAX: 3:7:9 The Mentor of Perviness
mikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2002, 20:44   #7
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
You could talk about the different needs of the telecommunications and the data industry (voice circuits -> more efficient to have circuits, data -> more efficient to have packet switched), the compromise of the two, the extra overhead of TCP/IP as compared to UDP/IP, etc etc

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 09:51   #8
Slidey

cheers guys !

much appreciated

Unread 21 Nov 2002, 12:39   #9
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
You could take an easyish option, and expand on how IPv6 will improve things too.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 12:46   #10
Slidey

the problem is its not an open essay on how the internet works, its more an essay on the differences between tcp and udp and the advantages and disadvantages of each