User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 22 Oct 2002, 16:50   #1
Daerion

So What's Your Favorite Java Editor Then?

Jasupremo ain't bad I reckon. Haven't tried that many though.
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 17:13   #2
Atamur
Ngisne

Atamur is an unknown quantity at this point
Vim of course. Once you get used to vi, you never go back...
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 20:51   #3
wu_trax

jcreator is nice and now some firend recommended sun studio one , that one also looks nice, i didnt use it much yet though
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 22:30   #4
Dudels

I'm using the free Sun Studio One thing. Quite nice.
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 23:07   #5
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: So What's Your Favorite Java Editor Then?

Quote:
Originally posted by Daerion
Jasupremo ain't bad I reckon. Haven't tried that many though.
It looks bloody awful.

JBuilder Enterprise > *

Altho Eclipse is supposed to be quite decent if you dont happen to have a spare £2000.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 23:38   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
vim is your all in one handy friend.
It has the syntax libraries for loads of languages included with it, so what more can you want? One editor you can get used to and use for whatever language you like.

Plus its available on linux (installed by default normally, both vim and gvim (the GUI version)) and also on windows so no complaining ta.
Incidentally, the linux version should work with the newer Unix based MacOS too - yay.

Unread 23 Oct 2002, 10:01   #7
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

vim is just a text editor tho.For productivity (especially for creating OO work) an IDE beats it hand down.

Unread 23 Oct 2002, 11:49   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Yeah, but for simple stuff just define what the :make command does and you're off.

Unread 24 Oct 2002, 17:02   #9
zamoda

The best java editor i have seen ever in my life is:

IntelliJ idea

nothing beats it

nuf said.

--
LDK
Unread 24 Oct 2002, 17:06   #10
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
vi is everything that is bad about Unix, and chewing my own foot off would be more enjoyable than extended exposure to it.
Unread 24 Oct 2002, 17:08   #11
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Although it isn't as bad as emacs, where I nearly bent my keyboard over my own head at the frustration of not being able to find the 'quit' option. It's easy to see now why mice were invented.
Unread 24 Oct 2002, 17:11   #12
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by MT
vim is just a text editor tho.For productivity (especially for creating OO work) an IDE beats it hand down.
Well, you could use vim in MS Visual Studio, depends what you mean by editor really. I use emacs.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2002, 18:40   #13
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Mis, the moral of the story is this: read the man pages/--help/whatever BEFORE you load the program.
Both the GUI versions of emacs and vim have menu bars, so if you desperately need to use it then you can.
I'm quite happy with using :quit in vim anyways - I mean it tells you the command when you first start the editor fksake.

Unread 24 Oct 2002, 20:42   #14
Miserableman
Not a Cow

This is why vi isn't in the suite of programs that I use - I'm too busy using easier and more powerful editors that don't require me to read the manual before I know how to turn them off. Linux is a set of small, powerful tools, each with 50 page manuals. It's not hard to see why it will never become a massmarket product (until KDE/Gnome lay a suitable number of gloss finishes over).

I've yet to make sense of any man page anyway.
Unread 24 Oct 2002, 21:10   #15
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
Mis, the moral of the story is this: read the man pages/--help/whatever BEFORE you load the program.
Both the GUI versions of emacs and vim have menu bars, so if you desperately need to use it then you can.
I'm quite happy with using :quit in vim anyways - I mean it tells you the command when you first start the editor fksake.

Thats the kind of ******** I say when I'm in a bad mood!

Using *nix stuff is bloody hard - theres a hell of a lot fo stuff to remember, and making the transition to even being able to basically use it productively takes a long time. However, the more you learn, the easier it gets.

I'd still take JBuilder over any version of vi.

Unread 24 Oct 2002, 21:41   #16
Atamur
Ngisne

Quote:
Originally posted by MT
editing text is the bulk of work in any software project. As for OO stuff, the only thing that java IDEs offer that a good text editor doesnt is a conext-sensitive popup list of methods when you hit dot. vim's keyword completion is not context-sensitive. all the power that vim offers in exchange more than makes up for it. but it's all a matter of taste, i suppose. i'm very lazy and mainly choose vi because i can get things done faster and with fewer keystrokes.
Unread 25 Oct 2002, 03:49   #17
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
www.textpad.com
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Oct 2002, 11:49   #18
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Miserableman
This is why vi isn't in the suite of programs that I use - I'm too busy using easier and more powerful editors that don't require me to read the manual before I know how to turn them off. Linux is a set of small, powerful tools, each with 50 page manuals. It's not hard to see why it will never become a massmarket product (until KDE/Gnome lay a suitable number of gloss finishes over).

I've yet to make sense of any man page anyway.
Man pages are only there to confuse the hell out of newbies. In the 10 years since I first used a unix type system I have never found any other possible use for them
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Oct 2002, 11:49   #19
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Atamur

editing text is the bulk of work in any software project. As for OO stuff, the only thing that java IDEs offer that a good text editor doesnt is a conext-sensitive popup list of methods when you hit dot. vim's keyword completion is not context-sensitive. all the power that vim offers in exchange more than makes up for it. but it's all a matter of taste, i suppose. i'm very lazy and mainly choose vi because i can get things done faster and with fewer keystrokes.
Funny, I didnt know vi can analyze java code and tell you where, if any, you have errors, and tell you what the types and names of arguments to any java class's functions are. I also didnt know that it supported breakpoints, debugging, thread analysis, code coverage and automatic design of UML diagrams, refactoring and code templates.

I thought it was just a fancy text editor, with some auto complete functions, syntax highlighting and an obscure set of commands.

Unread 25 Oct 2002, 11:54   #20
hinch
Banned

hinch is an unknown quantity at this point
personally i like visual studio

but since java`s ****e and i never use editors for what little java i do notepad works just fine
hinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Oct 2002, 13:18   #21
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by hinchles
personally i like visual studio

but since java`s ****e and i never use editors for what little java i do notepad works just fine
sed -e 's:java:work:' and we're getting to the nub of it ;p

Unread 25 Oct 2002, 21:59   #22
Atamur
Ngisne

Quote:
Originally posted by MT

Funny, I didnt know vi can analyze java code and tell you where, if any, you have errors, and tell you what the types and names of arguments to any java class's functions are. I also didnt know that it supported breakpoints, debugging, thread analysis, code coverage and automatic design of UML diagrams, refactoring and code templates.

I thought it was just a fancy text editor, with some auto complete functions, syntax highlighting and an obscure set of commands.
why should text editor do these things? IMHO text editor should edit text. parsing source code sort of pertains to text editing and vi does it very well (with tags). just type :ts <variable/method/class name> and get the definition. And of course you can use tab to complete the keyword names.

I don't really want to get into a IDE vs. collection of specialized tools argument. Both have pros and cons. IDEs are niceliy integrated with consistent interface and comparatively easy learning curve. a collection of specialized tools take longer to learn to use. However, stand-alone tools tend to do what they are intended to do better than IDEs. I have yet to see an IDE with which i can accomplish text editing tasks faster or easier than I can with vim. IDEs can build, package and deploy your application but stand-alone tool like ant does it better. IDEs can generate EJB templates for you but XDoclet does it much better. Personally, I am willing to put up with long learning curves for increased overall productivity.
Unread 26 Oct 2002, 10:47   #23
Daerion

What about Netbeans then?
I'm surprised no one has noticed it yet.