User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 23 Nov 2007, 12:36   #1
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold
extra speed

We could have the possibility to give a -1 eta speed booster to a fleet (either to def or attack). In a previous round this was implemented with the disadvantage of losing roiding/def ticks (at that time you could attack 3 ticks and defend 6).
With only 1 tick attack/defense today, the disadvantage of extra speed could be:

- a cost in Eonium based on fleet value
- a percentage of the fleet disabled (couldn't fire) at arrival.
- xan ships could lose their cloaking
Unread 23 Nov 2007, 13:48   #2
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: extra speed

they were called afterburners i think and it wouldnt work
Unread 23 Nov 2007, 13:52   #3
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

the main advantage of that kind of attack was that only the planet itself could see it i think

and it was called overburn or not? :-p

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Nov 2007, 13:54   #4
Cincinnatus
PA Team

Cincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud of

overburn i believe, well the "ability" at least...
though it had its advantages i'm not sure it's something we'll readd
MultiHunter Team -#multihunters
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Nov 2007, 14:36   #5
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It was overburn. I didn't play that round (Round 8), but from what I recall it made FI/CO hugely overpowered.
Unread 23 Nov 2007, 15:05   #6
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Shocker there eh. Yeah, bad idea.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2007, 14:48   #7
ElAlan
Muppet

ElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of light

Overburn yeah, I think it was -1 eta but you could only roid for one tick, remember this well as i was cath at the time and it basically meant xans in cluster could roid you defence free pretty much at will, which was nice...

Retired.
ElAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2007, 17:07   #8
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
It was overburn. I didn't play that round (Round 8), but from what I recall it made FI/CO hugely overpowered.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2007, 17:16   #9
Bbud2
Banned

Bbud2 is just really niceBbud2 is just really niceBbud2 is just really niceBbud2 is just really niceBbud2 is just really nice

not worth the lost whit 15% caption roid , i guess . and kinda suz if icoming can come to you in 6 hours , hate drink huge glass water beore bed to wake up in mid night. get heavy on the system .

will say it again , but 3 attack tick nd 6 defend tick was nice for sleper and worker.

i guess the afterburner was more like the -1 cluster , wich still was nice ,
made a hole in the defence tactic , making cluster defend allaince raid , and galaxie defend for cluster incoming , allowing allaince to get crush by a cluser making it more random .

i guess that allowing ppl to start several account and waiting to see in wich they would end up and than upgrapding the good one and using other as scan or letting them die .

and i saw that you removed old 2000 bud and changed it for the 2004 i see .
Kinda suz and make me hate you more .

the % thing isnt good since more old player will get use to getting denied and will try and build theyr ownteam scanner warioor and ill calculate evrything to the last byte.

for me i guess that the simple fact of having cluster eta quiker than allaince defence and same as cluster eta , was good . i guess that the fact of having to waste 15k resource to get the jpg to see if you go prelanch is good , but i still miss my old military scan ,

Some hc and old ppl that didnt care enough been wreck by cluster allaince in old time , not having theyr good friend around to save them can save a ass , i guess that when pa started to lose alot of new player , not being able to have a 2 month round of theyr own .

i know some hc can t take the fact that they get crush , and willdo anything to stop you of getting the top 15 , but still you guy can hold yourself bak a little .

Eonium fuel thing was pretty nasty since some player just had extra eonium from galxie , and was dam tempting and needed to farm e , to be able to get to belly score ..............

still was nice when we could hope to get to 15k roid , but at some point if you plan your round carefully you will be stop by the score limite and wont be able to attack enough ppl , making you having to get out cluster .

cant really make that in word since that goes whit telling how you got to think to your round .

% thing wont bring more ppl to planetarion can be sure about that.

maybe finding a way to get on irc whitout getting a tons of virus would be a nice thing you know . you guy wreck a computer in 1 day (time to get above you) get worst when mirc32 virus start to spread, and cant even just reinstal window now so that get crappy . (dont go and buying all window ME on ebay m f)

Ya going make the next round start before x-max this years?

lovingly Bud .
Bbud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2007, 10:27   #10
lenore
Coder/Fixer/Lover/Winnah

lenore has a spectacular aura aboutlenore has a spectacular aura about

this one barely finishes before christmas, the idea being so people have christmas off/havoc :P
lenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2007, 13:51   #11
Bbud2
Banned

Bbud2 is just really niceBbud2 is just really niceBbud2 is just really niceBbud2 is just really niceBbud2 is just really nice

thye done it before wasnt that bad , some even went or the x-max wish theyr .
Few jut leave pc whit irc on and hang around house .
But i admit getting your fleet trash on x-max isn't nice
cathar are good :P
Bbud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2007, 19:22   #12
lenore
Coder/Fixer/Lover/Winnah

lenore has a spectacular aura aboutlenore has a spectacular aura about

i'm not even gonna try and translate that
lenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Dec 2007, 15:17   #13
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil
We could have the possibility to give a -1 eta speed booster to a fleet (either to def or attack). In a previous round this was implemented with the disadvantage of losing roiding/def ticks (at that time you could attack 3 ticks and defend 6).
With only 1 tick attack/defense today, the disadvantage of extra speed could be:

- a cost in Eonium based on fleet value
- a percentage of the fleet disabled (couldn't fire) at arrival.
- xan ships could lose their cloaking
Whilst others have pointed out some of the shortcomings of the old Overburn system, i'm going to try and adress some of your points.

1) Eonium as fuel. You have two situations here, you essentially give advantage to those who manage to accumulate more E roids than otherwise normal, and penalise those planets who have high E costs (particularly in ship costs). Ie, Ziks. Further, in environments when massive stockpiles are essentially hidden in production, fast availablity to vast sums of cash shouldnt be a problem to top planets should they deem it necessary (and they have greater aptitude and "skill" and activity to determine when this may be so, thus advantaging the top players further). Similarly, lower ranked planets who dont/cant/wont maintain those stockpiles wont have access to this "overburn" as readily. THus, E as fuel is, in current PA, not good. Similar problems arise if any resource can be used as fuel, but tends to screw more races (except Xan, i suppose).

2) Whilst less ships firing could be a benefit, essentially PA is at this stage a 1 tick affair. If you cant get universal defence in the first tick, you (tend to, varying with stats) not be able to get any defence at all. Exceptions are, for example, R13 Cathaar CR vs Corsairs, when there were two ticks. Essentially, this means that overburn would overcome all universal defence to any fleet. As such, some level of attacking fleet reduction would have to be balanced with this, and it would be large. These large numbers (say, 40% just for argument) not firing means that a) players will need to "noob bash" more as their fleet is essentially only 60% of the actual size (untill it gets fired on, anyway), plus races that depend on first shots (cathaar, xan*cough*), would be placed at a more serious disadvantage than the poorer initiative but high armoured ships of other races (terrans, ziks). Essentially, overburn would hurt them more given that they cant kill the enemy fleet as effectively, meaning smaller targets are required compared to other races. As such, i'm not sure if its balanced in that sense either.

3) Removing Xan cloaking?? What on earth for? Why would that make the attacking fleet more balanced? The essential risk is the same; whether its a fake or not. However, xan fleets are generally alot harder to fake than all other races (as you generally need to send your entire fleet to kill the enemy before they can fire, or just your pods - other races can sub in more types and classes of ships inside a given ETA for more variability). That aside, reducing firepower already hurts Xans, so i'm not sure why they should be hit twice. And what about races that dont have access to cloaking; eg, Cathaar - why would they warrant less disadvantage than other races (xan, etd, zik)?

What might be interesting is to make it race specific to (eg) etd, and adjusting their ship stats to accomodate... Somehow. But generally, its difficult to justify changes to ETA due to the way the combat engine works in PA* means that its either hit or miss, with nothing inbetween. Similarly with initiatve, ETA tends to be a no go area.

But all that aside, i think its good that you've brought it up for a re-think, even though i do believe its probably impractical.

*I was just wondering what effect battles would have if fleets were "late" to the battlefield; ie, arriving at initiative level 6 and then all attacking ships from 7 onward firing, but not those before. The initial initiative (hah!) would be determined by some relative measure, in order to move the game/battle a step towards "real time", rather than wholly tick based.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Dec 2007, 15:36   #14
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

How are players supposed to sleep safely with ETA6 attack fleets? At least with ETA7 people can wake up when a fleet is ETA1 to their planet and move their fleet out of the way.

It might be interesting if planets could use this to boost their defence fleets by 1 tick. It would add in extra confusion (did that defender send BS/CR or just the other ships?) which might add more risk back into the game when trying to calculate an attack.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote