User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 6 Jun 2005, 22:02   #51
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Pay as you go - Motoring style

Short range public transport is generally very good. (Particularly in London.)

But it cost me £100 for a return to London and a tube from Kings Cross to Liverpool Street. Am I the only person who thinks this is pure larceny?
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 22:27   #52
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Pay as you go - Motoring style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
Short range public transport is generally very good. (Particularly in London.)

But it cost me £100 for a return to London and a tube from Kings Cross to Liverpool Street. Am I the only person who thinks this is pure larceny?
would have been less if you'd booked things in advance or had a railcard i tend to suspect.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 22:28   #53
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

That makes it even worse.
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 22:32   #54
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
The easiest way to generate money would be to legalise all drugs, and tax them like we do smoking. It would reduce crime as well as improve the quality of drug people take, so less druggies would get bad shit.
This is a thread about car related costs and road congestion
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 22:57   #55
Emperor Rozenski
Generic funny comment.

Emperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to all

If I'm not mistaken we've just had a general election a month ago, where was this in the Labour Manifesto? Save the unpopular polices for after the election, eh? I wonder what else they have in store for us in the comming years.

This whole idea is silly, people have to drive when there is no feasible alternative and for professions that require people to travel many tens of thousands of miles a year this is going to really hit margins.

I also have to wonder what this will cost to set up? If a small plastic ID card is going to cost us all 80 quid, how much is a 'black box' each and the satellites to track tens of millions of journeys a day going to cost us!?

I'm firmly with the 'get rid of Road Tax and tax fuel more' crowd, it just makes far more sense. This is despite the fact that I only do about 3000 miles a year so would probabally be better off under the new proposals, but for most people this proposal is going to be a kick in the teeth.

Congestion can't be helped, if you work in the city you have to travel there and you're not going to go by public transportation unless you're a total mentalist. You can't penilise people for going to work now can you? - The same people who prop up the country by paying income tax. Perhaps a better solution would be to look at the businesses themselves, offer tax breaks to businesses that implement schemes such as home working etc. to encourge them to get their staff off of the peak hour roads.

Kick the Baby! - did we rock your world?
Emperor Rozenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 22:58   #56
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
When I travel between cities in the UK I often think it's over priced. But then again, how many people travel between Newcastle and London per day? Is it enough to sustain a regular, cheap service?

I'm sure there is an element of profiteering and bad management but it's quite possible that some routes simply do not have the passenger numbers to keep prices economic. I honestly don't know.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 22:59   #57
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

hi dante
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 23:15   #58
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Rozenski
I

Congestion can't be helped, if you work in the city you have to travel there and you're not going to go by public transportation unless you're a total mentalist. You can't penilise people for going to work now can you? .
I'm not sure what other places are like but I know Cardiff centre as well as all the roads leading to and from it are a hell of a lot quieter during the school holidays. Walking to uni(and back in the afternoon) I will see huge queues most days, last week during half term there was practically nothing. My father can leave for work 15 minutes later during the summer holidays. As I am pretty sure we don't have that many teachers it suggests most of the congestion is actually caused by a shitload of people doing the schoolrun as they can't be arsed walking 10 minutes to school.
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 23:28   #59
Bodders

Bodders has a spectacular aura aboutBodders has a spectacular aura aboutBodders has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge5
I'm not sure what other places are like but I know Cardiff centre as well as all the roads leading to and from it are a hell of a lot quieter during the school holidays. Walking to uni(and back in the afternoon) I will see huge queues most days, last week during half term there was practically nothing. My father can leave for work 15 minutes later during the summer holidays. As I am pretty sure we don't have that many teachers it suggests most of the congestion is actually caused by a shitload of people doing the schoolrun as they can't be arsed walking 10 minutes to school.
The school run is a major of cause of traffic in Bristol too. Last week the Park and Ride bus i catch got me to work in 20 mins normally takes 40 during term time.
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 23:29   #60
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
that's why you get fat kids.

Fewer cars on the road = less fat people
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 23:48   #61
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
oh and im not alone in this.

The car is here to stay so why do they insist on making it difficult for people to use it?
why not embrace it

Motorists drive this shitty ass economy and they are the ones who are penalised and told they are 'evil hate mongers' for destroying the environment.....
oh honey.
Unread 7 Jun 2005, 19:41   #62
Emperor Rozenski
Generic funny comment.

Emperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to all

Quote:
Yeah, half/enfd of term is great in Basingstoke too, the roads are dead and getting to to office is a far more pleasant journey, but you have to look at the school holidays in perspective. A lot less parents are going to work during the school hols as they'll be on leave to look after the kids, so it's not just the school run traffic that's off of the roads, but lots of office working parents too, who'd still be driving to work normally even if their kids walked to school. Still, we'd see some impact if kids were made to walk, just not as big an impact as a half/end of term, I walked to school and it never did me any harm!

Unread 7 Jun 2005, 19:51   #63
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken we've just had a general election a month ago, where was this in the Labour Manifesto? Save the unpopular polices for after the election, eh? I wonder what else they have in store for us in the comming years.

This whole idea is silly, people have to drive when there is no feasible alternative and for professions that require people to travel many tens of thousands of miles a year this is going to really hit margins.

I also have to wonder what this will cost to set up? If a small plastic ID card is going to cost us all 80 quid, how much is a 'black box' each and the satellites to track tens of millions of journeys a day going to cost us!?

I'm firmly with the 'get rid of Road Tax and tax fuel more' crowd, it just makes far more sense. This is despite the fact that I only do about 3000 miles a year so would probabally be better off under the new proposals, but for most people this proposal is going to be a kick in the teeth.

Congestion can't be helped, if you work in the city you have to travel there and you're not going to go by public transportation unless you're a total mentalist. You can't penilise people for going to work now can you? - The same people who prop up the country by paying income tax. Perhaps a better solution would be to look at the businesses themselves, offer tax breaks to businesses that implement schemes such as home working etc. to encourge them to get their staff off of the peak hour roads.

holy **** no
tax fuel more!?

do you mean increase it to 99% duty or something from its already collosal amount. Why not just raise it to a quid a litre. I mean its hovering around 90p already. Infact why not just £2

that way we can punish the evil motorist whos taxes pay for everything but the road infrastructure. Whos cars pollute the atmosphere (when commercial jets do the same but a trillion times worse...or even intensive farming and industry)

Maybe we could make every road a toll road too. Just so we can make absolutely 100% sure that anyone wanting to do more than 50 miles a year can get clobbered to such a degree that everyone has to take out a second mortgage every couple of years just to be able to afford to commute.

With all the money thats raised we can spend it on things like Education and Health.....except that noone will be able to get to school because of the cost and even if they did goto school whats the point in getting a job when everyones paying out 20 grand a year in car costs.

goddamnit

i ****ing hate this anti car propaganda shit stirring hippy crap

The car is here to stay.
The motorist is the single most important aspect of this economy. Without haulage firms, without sales reps, without the multitude of other workers who rely and depend upon transport in a car to do their job this entire economy would collapse. But wait....instead of saying 'thanks' to these people...why dont we just slap them with more and more stealth taxes because of course....noone is ever, ever ever gonig to say 'thats it...ive had enough....**** it......' everyone is going to think 'fs' and continue to fill up for 2£ a litre and continue to pay the hideously expensive road tax ontop of the overpriced insurance for cars that cost more than anywhere else in europe.

oh how i love living in rip off britain.

HUZZAH
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2005, 19:52   #64
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

yu go gurl!
Unread 7 Jun 2005, 20:03   #65
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

in this thread JJ clamps his hands over his ears and denies the existence of buses
Unread 7 Jun 2005, 20:07   #66
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

buses are shit
they smell
they are expensive
they dont take me precisely where i want to go; only to a vague area close to my destination
You cannot carry anything of value on a bus for fear of having it nicked
you cannot bring back anything heavy on a bus because its too difficult to get it in and out plus theres lots of walking involved.

you cannot listen to your own music
you cannot set the temperature to what you want it to be
they never arrive on time
they never appear when you really need one

they are more expensive to travel on than a car for any kind of distance

This is why buses are infact : shit
Unread 7 Jun 2005, 20:17   #67
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

yes, perhaps.

but thing is, we kinda need all that oil
Unread 7 Jun 2005, 20:31   #68
Emperor Rozenski
Generic funny comment.

JJ, I'm not saying the motorist should pay more, I'm suggesting they shift road tax on to fuel, keeping the net avearge cost to operate your car the same.

Avg annual road tax is £120
Avg annual mileage is 12000
avg car 30 mpg

An extra 30 pence a gallon, 6.6 pence on a litre would suffice.

Instead of administration costs for 2 systems, only 1 is required. Not that we'd see the saving but if the government is making more from this saving they're not taxing us more for it.

You also get the extra revenue from those tens of thousands of people who drive without paying road tax, this way their car goes dry if they choose not to pay and they'll be walking everywhere.

This system would be far fairer than punishing people because they have to drive on certain types of road, what you pay is directly related to how far you drive regardless of the roads you drive on, can you get much fairer than that? If you choose a car that swollows fuel like it's going out of fashion you will pay more, which is what the government wants from an environmental protection point of view. Charging a 6 litre 4x4 the same as a 1 litre metro for using the motorway doesn't make sense from an environmental impact and congestion point of view if we really believe these are the goverments true motoves for change.

Unread 7 Jun 2005, 20:44   #69
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
yes, perhaps.

but thing is, we kinda need all that oil
yeah, for cars
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2005, 20:53   #70
JammyJim
Godfather

Quote:
JJ, I'm not saying the motorist should pay more, I'm suggesting they shift road tax on to fuel, keeping the net avearge cost to operate your car the same.

Avg annual road tax is £120
Avg annual mileage is 12000
avg car 30 mpg

An extra 30 pence a gallon, 6.6 pence on a litre would suffice.

Instead of administration costs for 2 systems, only 1 is required. Not that we'd see the saving but if the government is making more from this saving they're not taxing us more for it.

You also get the extra revenue from those tens of thousands of people who drive without paying road tax, this way their car goes dry if they choose not to pay and they'll be walking everywhere.

This system would be far fairer than punishing people because they have to drive on certain types of road, what you pay is directly related to how far you drive regardless of the roads you drive on, can you get much fairer than that? If you choose a car that swollows fuel like it's going out of fashion you will pay more, which is what the government wants from an environmental protection point of view. Charging a 6 litre 4x4 the same as a 1 litre metro for using the motorway doesn't make sense from an environmental impact and congestion point of view if we really believe these are the goverments true motoves for change.

the likelyhood of a proper changeover that actually works out precisely the same as funding the car via roadtax is minimal.

Inevitable because its a 'confusing' subject and 'maths' is required to do some basic addition the tax would be somewhat larger than the roadtax equivalent.

if you see what i mean.
Unread 7 Jun 2005, 20:55   #71
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC
yeah, for cars
no, for buses for longer
Unread 7 Jun 2005, 21:07   #72
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

we could abolish privately owned cars

replacing them with a state funded taxi service which provided cars for specified necessary journeys. all those journeys which benefit the economy.

we would get rid of non essential travel

we would also reduce congestion by having fewer cars. and we could protect the environment by using more ecologically friendly vehicles than those frequently chosen by the public.

it's a 'win win'

PS we'd also be able to save jobs at the bbc because sacking that twat clarkson would free up more cash.
Unread 7 Jun 2005, 21:12   #73
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
PS we'd also be able to save jobs at the bbc because sacking that twat clarkson would free up more cash.
I'm with you on that, the man is an utter buffoon.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 7 Jun 2005, 21:50   #74
Super
Sub

Super is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
The car is here to stay.
The motorist is the single most important aspect of this economy. Without haulage firms, without sales reps, without the multitude of other workers who rely and depend upon transport in a car to do their job this entire economy would collapse. But wait....instead of saying 'thanks' to these people...why dont we just slap them with more and more stealth taxes because of course....noone is ever, ever ever gonig to say 'thats it...ive had enough....**** it......' everyone is going to think 'fs' and continue to fill up for 2£ a litre and continue to pay the hideously expensive road tax ontop of the overpriced insurance for cars that cost more than anywhere else in europe.

oh how i love living in rip off britain.

HUZZAH
What good are cars if the roads are going to be gridlocked all day long in the future? More and more people are driving, and more and more people are going on pointless journeys that could easily be done via public transport or even walking. They have pretty much no choice in the matter - they either make it expensive now and try to fix it, or leave it until trips in cars take 2+ hours more than normal. And if that happened, you'd whine like a bitch that they didn't do anything about it.
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2005, 21:53   #75
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

The sooner flying cars are invented the better.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 07:44   #76
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
they [buses] are more expensive to travel on than a car for any kind of distance
Not if they put petrol prices up enough, and this is exactly their point.

I don't see why we (in the short term) can't just increase fuel prices dramatically but then exempt commercial road vehicles to an extent. So truckers wouldn't need to pay, buses wouldn't need to pay, but some fat shit who can't be bothered to walk down the high street would pay.

The issue is not just that oil will run out (in theory, market adjustments should change prices enough to allow for that - although that remains to be seen) but that pollution creates certain externalities which market mechanisms do not currently include in their pricing structure. Yes, commercial jets pollute as well, but we should be worrying about that too.

There's also issues of congestion, but once you have adequate bus lanes I'm not sure I care about that. If car journies become sufficiently annoying I presume people won't want to travel by car anymore.
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 07:54   #77
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
what difference will it make?
You won't need roads to travel in them, so congestion will practically cease to exist outside major cities.

(I would have thought that was obvious...)
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 09:09   #78
JammyJim
Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Not if they put petrol prices up enough, and this is exactly their point.

I don't see why we (in the short term) can't just increase fuel prices dramatically but then exempt commercial road vehicles to an extent. So truckers wouldn't need to pay, buses wouldn't need to pay, but some fat shit who can't be bothered to walk down the high street would pay.

The issue is not just that oil will run out (in theory, market adjustments should change prices enough to allow for that - although that remains to be seen) but that pollution creates certain externalities which market mechanisms do not currently include in their pricing structure. Yes, commercial jets pollute as well, but we should be worrying about that too.

There's also issues of congestion, but once you have adequate bus lanes I'm not sure I care about that. If car journies become sufficiently annoying I presume people won't want to travel by car anymore.

What about the people who want to travel 200 miles one way to get to a client or even to visit their granny.

Do you suggest these people walk or catch the bus/train too? With the huge amount of expensive equipment they have to carry around.

IT doesnt matter how you look at this. Business relies on the car.
Business needs the car.

Increasing costs increases cost for many businesses which barely survive as it is.

Quote:
What good are cars if the roads are going to be gridlocked all day long in the future? More and more people are driving, and more and more people are going on pointless journeys that could easily be done via public transport or even walking. They have pretty much no choice in the matter - they either make it expensive now and try to fix it, or leave it until trips in cars take 2+ hours more than normal. And if that happened, you'd whine like a bitch that they didn't do anything about it.
7 Jun 2005 21:12
Build more roads. Widen existing roads. Fix old crappy roads that people dont use because they are old and crappy. Invest time in promoting car sharing schemes and increase incentives to do so.
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 09:20   #79
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

you know... the car my wife has gets nearly 60 miles to the gallon... if more cars were this economical can you imagine the savings we could make anyway?
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 09:21   #80
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:

The car is here to stay.
Or, how about, people who do actually need their own transport, and so will have it paid for by a company (salesmen, cargo-transport et al) use the roads, while people who just think they are too good for public transport and/or walking, get their cars off the roads. The roads would be less congested, which would mean vehicles can get places quicker, so in fact helping the economy.
If people like you would rather pay the increased costs than save money (and the environment) by taking public transport, then more fool them.
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 09:31   #81
JammyJim
Godfather

Not everyone works for multinational corporations capable of funding huge increases in the cost of travel. Are you suggesting small business should just shut down or get its employees to walk everywhere?

Symm. Your talking like a hippy with the environment. Everyone knows that Cars do not make the same kind of impact that a million and one other things we do on earth does. They are victimised by hippy fringe groups because its an easy target.
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 09:38   #82
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
Or, how about, people who do actually need their own transport, and so will have it paid for by a company (salesmen, cargo-transport et al) use the roads,.
There are plenty of businesses who cannot afford to buy their employees cars but it is still a requirement. I would imagine for larger firms as well, having to find cars for all their employees would a fortune and be a good deterrant to investing here.

Quote:
while people who just think they are too good for public transport and/or walking, get their cars off the roads
There are undoubtedly people who could take public transport more often but you make it seem like you want everyone off the road. There are plenty of areas which that just isn't feasible. It costs me three times as much to get the train home as it does to drive, takes me twice as long, I can't take any of my things home with me as there is then no bus at the other end which goes near my house (and the bus station is a decent distance from the train station anyway). If I tried to get the bus originally it takes 4 times as long, costs the same and I still can't take anything home.

It may be okay for some things but anytime you want to transport more than a few items I find public transport useless.
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 09:51   #83
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
IT doesnt matter how you look at this. Business relies on the car.
Business needs the car.
Quote:
I don't see why we (in the short term) can't just increase fuel prices dramatically but then exempt commercial road vehicles to an extent
By commercial I meant "engaged in commercial activities".

And it's quite possible that you could have an allowance for disabled people or something. As for travelling 200 miles to see your grandmother - this is unfortunate but you could always move.
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 10:17   #84
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
There are undoubtedly people who could take public transport more often but you make it seem like you want everyone off the road. There are plenty of areas which that just isn't feasible. It costs me three times as much to get the train home as it does to drive, takes me twice as long, I can't take any of my things home with me as there is then no bus at the other end which goes near my house (and the bus station is a decent distance from the train station anyway). If I tried to get the bus originally it takes 4 times as long, costs the same and I still can't take anything home.
JJ in his comment above missed the obvious point, Dante pointed it out. You have now done likewise.
IF (is that quite enough emphasis?) the price of travelling by car were higher, then would you not use the train/coach? If not, then fine. You would be free to use a car, you would just have to pay for it. If you're happy with paying, then there is no problem. If you can't/won't pay, then you'll have to travel by other means.

Business-person travelling 200 miles to visit a client. Bill them for the journey, simple (either directly, or in the case of sales/tendering, include it in the eventual costs). If there's a competitor who can charge less, then copy whatever they're doing that allows them to (phonecall/video-conference/whatever if it's possible)
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 11:29   #85
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

if you're travelling 200 miles to visit a grandma and you want a cheaper jouney it's simple - buy a more economical car.
Extra tax on petrol makes everything simple:
It costs more to do a mile in a city than it does to do a mile on the motorway. Perfect.
SUV's get taxed more because they use more petrol. Excellent.
Boy racers can't afford to buy petrol to drive round in round town centres for hours in stupidly inefficient cars - WINNER

If you're doing work for a business then you can claim the tax back anyway.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 11:59   #86
JammyJim
Godfather

but economical cars are slow and boring or they are smelly and diesel :-(((((
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 12:08   #87
midge5
mmm lambs

Quote:
IF (is that quite enough emphasis?) the price of travelling by car were higher, then would you not use the train/coach? If not, then fine. You would be free to use a car, you would just have to pay for it. If you're happy with paying, then there is no problem. If you can't/won't pay, then you'll have to travel by other means.
Yes but you seem to ignoring the fact that for a lot of journeys public transport is totally out of the question yet there are plenty of people who are already close to the breadline who simply couldn't afford to pay more yet have to make these journeys. For one simple example, which I realise isn't representative of most areas. Rhondda Fach, the hills are too steep for buses to go up and the valley is too narrow for a train service to come anywhere near the furthest end. Yet this is also one of the poorest areas in the UK. Anyone living on the main road would be okay catching a bus, there are plenty of people living up these steep hills who are to ill(one of the largest long term ill rates in the UK and rated as one of the sickest areas) and/or old to walk to the shops and would struggle to carry a bag of shopping up the hill.

There will be plenty of other places across the UK who will be in a similar situation where even for people just trying to do normal things even a small increase in the price of petrol which they need to use regularly would make a huge difference.

This will obviously depend on how much you increase the taxes on cars but some people seem to have suggests some hefty increases on fuel tax which I think would make most of this applicable.

Quote:
Business-person travelling 200 miles to visit a client. Bill them for the journey, simple (either directly, or in the case of sales/tendering, include it in the eventual costs). If there's a competitor who can charge less, then copy whatever they're doing that allows them to (phonecall/video-conference/whatever if it's possible)
Again, what about small businesses? You could have two smallish ones who are dealing with each other, neither of whom can afford the cost. I know there are plenty of shops, pubs and rugby clubs all over South Wales, not just the valleys, who are already barely making a profit, if they even manage that. If a brewer, or any of the other person they had to deal with passed on the cost to them they would go under. Then if the smaller firms they deal with kept it themselves they also may find it the difference between surviving, while larger firms like the brewer would more than likely be forced to start sacking people.

Quote:
Even if you let all businesses claim back all of the costs that would be a nightmare to administer and make it extremely easy to avoid. Most people would be claiming back the majority of their journeys claiming they were businesses trips.I would guess the cost of implementing this and checking up on people as well as all the extra paperwork that firms will have to fill out when most are already dealing with way more than they should.
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 13:09   #88
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Again, what about small businesses? You could have two smallish ones who are dealing with each other, neither of whom can afford the cost. I know there are plenty of shops, pubs and rugby clubs all over South Wales, not just the valleys, who are already barely making a profit, if they even manage that. If a brewer, or any of the other person they had to deal with passed on the cost to them they would go under. Then if the smaller firms they deal with kept it themselves they also may find it the difference between surviving, while larger firms like the brewer would more than likely be forced to start sacking people.
Once upon a time a Conservative would have opted to let unsustainable communities die.
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 13:33   #89
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

TheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud of

I think there is an easier way of lowering the car owning population in the UK. Follow Irelands car insurance business plans.

If you are on a provisional licence your insurance for the first year is about 6500 - 7500 euros. That for most puts people off driving until they are mid career and able to afford it

My insurance costs more than my car is worth!

tsm
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 13:37   #90
JammyJim
Godfather

the fact that my crazy irish friend is insured in ireland to drive by herself as a learner leads me to believe that irish insurance is not the best of ideas.
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 13:49   #91
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
No you don't. You can claim VAT back, but not fuel duty.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 14:27   #92
midge5
mmm lambs

Quote:
Once upon a time a Conservative would have opted to let unsustainable communities die.
I still would. Many in this area have died with. If it is government policies which cause them to die though then I think the government should try to rectify the problem. I'm don't quite think this situation is that extreme though.
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 15:25   #93
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
but economical cars are slow and boring or they are smelly and diesel :-(((((

all cars are boring.

If only you weren't so psycologically backward you might be able to realise that and stop looking like a fool.

P.S. name me one living hippy that anyone actually listens to.
P.P.S because I can name one car obsessed chap with the mental age of 5 who is genuinely convinced that his car is the sum total of his value and worth.
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 15:35   #94
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Vroom vroom.
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 15:37   #95
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
No you don't. You can claim VAT back, but not fuel duty.
yeh i realised that after I wrote it.
Change 'can' for 'could'

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 16:30   #96
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't think anyone is saying abolish the car.

just get rid of the millions of unnecessary journeys which could feasibly be replaced by walking/public transport/school bus provision etc.
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 16:46   #97
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Vroom vroom.
Care for a ride in my little tank?
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 17:36   #98
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

Quote:
Rhondda Fach, the hills are too steep for buses to go up and the valley is too narrow for a train service to come anywhere near the furthest end. Yet this is also one of the poorest areas in the UK. Anyone living on the main road would be okay catching a bus, there are plenty of people living up these steep hills who are to ill(one of the largest long term ill rates in the UK and rated as one of the sickest areas) and/or old to walk to the shops and would struggle to carry a bag of shopping up the hill.

There will be plenty of other places across the UK who will be in a similar situation where even for people just trying to do normal things even a small increase in the price of petrol which they need to use regularly would make a huge difference.
It's like banging my head against a brick wall.
With the proposed idea, where in the country you drive will have an impact on the price. In all likelihood, such a remote place will be really cheap to drive through. It's not going to be £1.50/mile throughout the country.
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 17:44   #99
midge5
mmm lambs

Quote:
It's like banging my head against a brick wall.
With the proposed idea, where in the country you drive will have an impact on the price. In all likelihood, such a remote place will be really cheap to drive through. It's not going to be £1.50/mile throughout the country.

If you notice in my post I actually mentioned this would more than likely only be applicable to the situations where people where suggesting fairly large increases in fuel tax.

Even in your situation there was no guarantee that fuel and road tax would be abolished so there is probably a good chance this will be on top of that. Therefore everything I said still applies even if it is only a smallish amount.

Last edited by midge5; 8 Jun 2005 at 17:51.
midge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 20:39   #100
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Until public transport is a feasible alternative to private means of travel, this is absurd.