User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 19 Jul 2006, 18:24   #1
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Hosting and such

Something in line with the domain thread, I was wondering what company you would reccomend for some hosting?
Basically I'm sure the site could survive on 500-750mb with a decent bandwidth rate (low enough to begin with I'm sure).

My work has asked me to set up a simple photo club type site, where people who get their pictures printed in our stores can send them to us and we post them on this club site.
A few pages with offers, info, a gallery and contact details.
I'm sure I could manage it overall, even though I'm quite rusty with the 'ol coding side of things. A bit of HTML and CSS would do the trick I'm hoping.
Anyway another question is how much should I charge 'em for making it as well. Never really done this before. I'll have to be responsible for the upkeep as well, so I'm gonna have to look for some money for that too.

Any advice/reccomendations?
Unread 19 Jul 2006, 23:44   #2
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Hosting and such

I'm with these guys. It seems like their medium shared hosting package should suit your needs. I've had to ask their tech support team a couple of questions so far (no problems, just enquiries on my part) and they've been very fast.
Unread 24 Jul 2006, 02:49   #3
-TPM-

-TPM- is on a distinguished road

If you want to do it on the cheap you might want to check this out: http://www.freewebdot.com/
I'm using them and there pretty good, not the fastest, but hell it's FREE! They support ASP.net 2.0 or PHP as well which is nice.

As for cost, that'd depend quite a lot on what sort of page your going to do. If you just make a simple html page the initial 'setup fee' should be low and just make the money on a monthly support contract. If your going to make is a complex dynamic site where they can upload there own images etc charge more for the setup an dlees for the monthly, since you won't need to do as much (assuming you program it ok ). I'd charge ~$800, $180 upkeep for html and ~$1200, $150 upkeep for dynamic.
Unread 21 Aug 2006, 11:28   #4
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Im with these guys. Originally used as I loved the name / found it funny, they do monthly promotions and my website hasn't gone down yet

Saying that, Ive just cursed myself. Check them out thou
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Sep 2006, 11:41   #5
Fr0sten
Fear - HC

Fr0sten is infamous around these partsFr0sten is infamous around these partsFr0sten is infamous around these partsFr0sten is infamous around these partsFr0sten is infamous around these partsFr0sten is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncubusGod
Something in line with the domain thread, I was wondering what company you would reccomend for some hosting?
Basically I'm sure the site could survive on 500-750mb with a decent bandwidth rate (low enough to begin with I'm sure).

My work has asked me to set up a simple photo club type site, where people who get their pictures printed in our stores can send them to us and we post them on this club site.
A few pages with offers, info, a gallery and contact details.
I'm sure I could manage it overall, even though I'm quite rusty with the 'ol coding side of things. A bit of HTML and CSS would do the trick I'm hoping.
Anyway another question is how much should I charge 'em for making it as well. Never really done this before. I'll have to be responsible for the upkeep as well, so I'm gonna have to look for some money for that too.

Any advice/reccomendations?
Check out www.fsthosting.com (cheap and reliable!)

They also have some cool features as a control panel!

www.fsthosting.com/cpanel
Login: demo
Pass: cpanel

And fantstico! which installs photo gallery's in seconds! blogs etc etc.... setup is instant and payment is via paypal.

Also support is free and they would help you with all aspects of which you require which is included in your price plan!
Fr0sten is offline   Reply With Quote