User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 12 Sep 2007, 01:38   #1
Koyochi
underinformed peon

Koyochi is an unknown quantity at this point
portal site needs more connection with the game

The graphics and logo on the main site ( http://www.planetarion.com ) are cool, very cool even. However, nothing on that page can give a new visitor a good impression what the game is about. It may even not be totally clear that planetarion is a game after all, unless you clicked through from one of those game sites where planetarion might be listed .

So I would like to suggest some additions to the entry page. There should be at least a top10 rankings of planets/galaxys/alliances with scores next to it. Small graphical stats of score-evolution of the top alliances from the past few days would be nice too. None of those should be so detailled or extensive that excisting players would actually use it to see who is winning what. It should just tell new visitors that this is a game, with a hard competition, and it plays in a universe where planets are part of alliances and play in galaxys against eachother. And every day is a new war. They should be able to see that after a quick view of the entry page. This is a general rule with developing sites, if a new visitor can not even determine what your site is about, something is failing and you are probably losing that visitor and can not turn him into a possible client (or player).

It should also be clear that this game is about ships and numbers and timing. So it would be nice to have pages that for example shows recent battle reports sorted by day. The most recent ones could be linked from the main page too. How should battle reports come onto the site ? Well, maybe the controls in journal page ( Status: 'Private' 'Change to Public' 'Delete Entry' ) could be extended with a 'Add to portal' link. A small textfield form could also be added, so that the player can write a short description about this battle. Allowing players to brag about their battles on the portal in a simple way, would surely motivate them enough to garantee a daily batch of new public battle reports. They could be automatically spread so every hour a limited amount of reports comes online with a small delay, or that battles with bigger ship values can get publishing-priority over smaller battles.

With all respect to the people who are planning to use the yet-unfinished blog system, or who wrote articles for any of the previous versions of the portal, but those systems hardly produce enough interesting content. Those type of things are mostly used by only a small amount of people, and dont have enough connection with the game. Automated publishing of battle reports will require very little human effort and will create a lot more public content that is directly related to the game. Maybe we could allow other players to post comments on published battle reports, but that would probably depend on a login system outside of the game, or linking forum accounts to it in some kind of onorthodox way. Publishing other type of events would be nice too, but I cant think of much of those at the moment. Scans or covop results are mostly not that exciting as battle reports.

Another important thing is to show new visitors that everything is happening right now. This site and its game are not an abandonded piece of the internet that hasnt been updated for years ... no, the game is running while they are visiting it. So every mention of a 'tick' in battle reports and other game content, should also have the caption of ' xx hours ago '. That way visitors will realise everything is very recent, and they will be more likely to get involved too.

A galaxy browser on a seperate page would be nessary too. Just to let visitors look inside the game universe and see the galaxys, planets, scores, races and maybe some rank information too. This page should have almost the same layout as the ingame 'galaxy' page, so that once they sign up and play the game, tis part should already be familiar. The same could be said about the manual pages.

And the last thing I can think of : a public page that holds some of the 'misc' stats we have ingame too. Especially the part with ship stats (maybe simply grouped by class , because we dont want to overwhelm with data and stats too) and the stats about the races. This is another important piece of the game, and it can very well be demonstrated with some simple stats. And ofcourse here and all other stats should get the caption of ' updated xx minutes ago', to once again show that the game is happening now.

more game content on portal -> better portal -> turning more visitors into players -> bigger universe -> more fun

Last edited by Koyochi; 12 Sep 2007 at 01:44.
Koyochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2007, 02:26   #2
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts
Re: portal site needs more connection with the game

You are right in the part that a good portal brings more customers.
the current design of it will prolly scare them away though, so i cannot agree with it being "cool"

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2007, 03:11   #3
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Some nice ideas, anything which gives the viewer an idea on what happens ingame would be perfect.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2007, 18:22   #4
-=10us=-

-=10us=- is on a distinguished road

great ideas!

i missed these things myself and started coded such a thing, a galaxy banner gallery that is. i'll post a link when its ready for live. i think seeing galaxy banners will show non-pa-players there's activtity in the game and that groups of friends rule a galaxy and planet.
Unread 12 Sep 2007, 18:24   #5
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

I actually have *no* idea why PA Team released it whilst parts of it weren't fully operational. Surely its better to release a completed product than a half completed product?
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2007, 20:00   #6
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

There was already discussions abou tthe new portal going on http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=195266

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2007, 20:18   #7
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's never worse to start a new topic than to post in an existing one.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote