User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 23 Aug 2007, 08:10   #1
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
physiotherapy

ok quick backstory.. i broke my finger playing floor hockey, when i had xrays the doctors found a tumor inside the bone where it broke.. had yo let finger heal, then had surgery done to remove the tumor (benign) and a bone graft from my wrist. i've been in a cast for 6 weeks, and this past monday the dr said he faxed a request to start physio but i have to wait until they call me. i'm still waiting :\ the doctor put me in a 'removable' cast but i'm still not allowed back to work or i'll rebreak my finger.. or so he says.

anyway. today i took off the cast and decided to start physio by myself. basically bending my finger til it hurts then stopping. i'm not sure if it's a good idea or not but i'm getting impatient waiting for my appointment.

i remember when i dislocated my knee a few years ago that physio hurt worse than the accident :P so i'm hoping a head start will be a good thing.

has anyone else had need to go to physiotherapy? if so what for and how long did it take to fully recover?
Unread 23 Aug 2007, 08:27   #2
Sharur
..yet opinionated

Sharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant future
Re: physiotherapy

I can't help with your question (sorry) but I'm wondering about something. Did the tumor originate from breaking your finger or was it there already before you broke it?
Sharur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2007, 08:35   #3
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute

it was already there.. dr said it had weakened the bone so much it barely took any pressure to snap..

but i had fractured that finger playing other sports twice when i was younger so it probably started from that.
Unread 23 Aug 2007, 09:24   #4
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

When i was 20/21 i knackered the ACL in my right knee playing rugby. After the three week wait for the operation i was in physio for a little over ten months before i could play again and even then it wasn't 100%, i needed a knee support for another two months. Thinking back about it, a month of that was probably lack of confidence in my knee.
It's never really got back to 100% and i was told not to expect it to, but knees are somewhat different than fingers.
Unread 23 Aug 2007, 09:45   #5
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

As none of us have any real medical knowledge, you shouldn't take our advice as gospel (but I guess you know that!).

In my opinion, the whole "pushing it as far as possible before it hurts" doesn't sound like a great idea - it might very well be all that physiotherapy is, but still. Leave the cast off, but try not to use your thumb at all. It'll probably be used for things automatically (they're nifty little things, thumbs!) and ring the doctor to tell him you haven't heard from the physio. He might just have forgotten or something.
Unread 23 Aug 2007, 09:57   #6
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Don't listen to tk, he's just jealous you're moving on his internet niche by getting a tumour
Unread 23 Aug 2007, 10:14   #7
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Let's face it though, a thumb tumour is pretty much the most uncool kind of tumour you can get.
Unread 23 Aug 2007, 10:18   #8
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

testicular cancer is way cooler indeed. Your scrotum looks so cool with one ball less.
Unread 23 Aug 2007, 13:02   #9
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn
has anyone else had need to go to physiotherapy? if so what for and how long did it take to fully recover?
I went to the physiotherapist for my back many years back because I have a syndrome to my spine. I went there for about a year, twice a week I think.
It wasn't really for recovery purposes that I went there, so I can not really answer that question.

But if you are wondering how long it will take you to recover, well, I guess it really depends on the type of condition and the severity. So unless someone on this forum also had a tumor in their finger, I don't think anyone can give you a real timespan for your recovery.
Unread 23 Aug 2007, 14:10   #10
Sharur
..yet opinionated

Sharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant future

And since Tomkat doesn't seem to have one (or he's in denial) your chances of finding somebody like that here are pretty slim. :/
Unread 23 Aug 2007, 14:42   #11
Fiery
PA Team

Fiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud of

Aryn,
I hurt my right wrist quite badly a few years ago and had to wear a splint for two years and do physiotherapy for months. The sadistic little woman in charge of my therapy had me in tears every session for the first three months. I was forced to squeeze these putty balls and stretch out rubber bands and put nuts on bolts. Which is extremely difficult to do when you can barely move your fingers. And then, since she was into electro play, she would put this electrode on my hand and force me to sit there while she ran the current through my hand. I would come home exhausted and have to take a nap. I think I went for eight months. I still don't have the full use of my right hand but it's probably as good as it's going to get, considering what I did to it. So the therapy helped me a lot. And I'm sure that sadistic woman got a great deal of pleasure from making me cry three times a week.
Fiery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2007, 14:47   #12
Sharur
..yet opinionated

That current you're talking about is hardly a torture though, I've had to use it aswell on my arm for a while and I'm pretty sure alot of the people on this board (except for Veil05) would use that same current for sexual pleasure. Unless she was really that sadistic and boosted the current untill above the maximum output of the machine ofcourse.
Unread 23 Aug 2007, 15:02   #13
Aryn
Happy

TK it's not in my thumb.. in my pinky finger actually :\

fiery i remember the girl making me cry a couple times when i went in for my knee, and i remember the electrotherapy as well.. i also remember agreeing to let them practice acupuncture

i'm not gonna force my finger to bend, but i meant more trying to bend it naturally as much as i can (not using my other hand to push it into position). though i can't fully straighten it at all without pushing it upright.. and that doesn't hurt at all :\
i thought about getting one of those stress ball squeezie things and play with that for a couple minutes each day.

i'm phoning the doctor's office on monday if i haven't heard anything by then. i'm travelling to europe second week of sept fs.. i hope i won't still have to wear a cast then :\ (though i was assuming i'd have some sort of protective glove or something)
Unread 23 Aug 2007, 15:09   #14
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

From the stories my dad used to tell me (he had physiotherapy for his back, feet, hands and neck for years and called the doctors that helped him "crackers", because well.. that's what they did), and the posts in this topic, I'm more and more convinced of the opinion that modern physiotherapy is on about the same level as medieval medicine.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2007, 19:51   #15
Fiery
PA Team

Fiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud of

Sharur, dear, I did quite a lot of damage to the nerves, ligaments and tendons in my hand and wrist so that hand is quite a bit more sensitive to things. And after reading Veil05's thread on his sexual escapades, I must agree, he shouldn't use electroplay since he would probably end up making his testicles explode. . .
Fiery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2007, 20:02   #16
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

around this time last year I had pretty bad whiplash [small car vs 10 ton lorry, not much compotition really] and I was on physio for best part of 6 months. pushing it to the limits isnt a great idea if your doing it all the time but if you move it around a bit just to get it all "working" again it should be fine*

* im not a doctor, ask Aer as hes training to be one!
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2007, 20:25   #17
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

why are you still alive?
Unread 24 Aug 2007, 22:46   #18
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery
And after reading Veil05's thread on his sexual escapades, I must agree, he shouldn't use electroplay since he would probably end up making his testicles explode. . .
That would be quite hilarious.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Aug 2007, 11:57   #19
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Aryn, based on my medical knowledge from my sister who is a doctor and myself who has been several times to a fysio for sports and little injuries, you should slowly and very slowly build the use up.
Basically you have to train the muscles in your pinky finger, so massaging right under the pinky and the base of the pinky itself should increase the bloodflow, also, you should bent it to about 50% of the 'hurt' point and then stop, to that till your muscle 'sours' (When your muscles fermentate with this) and then you stop. give it a rest, and do it again, and again.

Do 2 or 3 of those sets a day and you will prolly feel some progress, but for gods sake, don't stress it.