User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 24 May 2005, 19:37   #1
Kaal Satori
Armed w/ Nukes

Kaal Satori is an unknown quantity at this point
Cath next round

Given the completely abysmal performance of Cathaar this round, I was thinking of playing as them next round.
<collective gasp>

My reasoning is as follows: PA Team knows how badly they made the cath and how overpowering they made the ziks this round, and will undoubtedly attempt to correct for this. Chances are when they do so they will end up overcompensating, thus reversing the fortunes of the two races in r14. To compound this, a lot of cath players will be signing up to play as zik since that was by far the most successful race this round and they're all tired of losing. The vast flood of ziks will translate into heavy anti-zik strategy, leaving the few remaining caths to operate unchallenged and without the intense focus they received this round.

So am I overanalyzing the situation or is this a potential outcome? I'll admit that an equally distinct possibility is that PA team will stubbornly hold to the perceived infallibility of their stats, thus allowing the current dichotomy of races to continue.
Unread 24 May 2005, 19:52   #2
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Cath next round

Maybe you could use your wisdom, intelligence and insight into the nature of online gaming to help pateam, and everyone who's helping design the stats for next round, to make a more balanced game?
Unread 24 May 2005, 23:06   #3
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Well I'm planning to wait and see the stats when they're released and make my decision from there.

Seems like the sensible option.

And JBG, I'm clever, where do I sign up to help PATeam out?
Unread 24 May 2005, 23:17   #4
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
wait and see the stats when they're released
Unread 24 May 2005, 23:54   #5
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_horn
it sounds a bit more like under analyzing and underestimating.
this jester chap may well have a potatoe for an avatar but i'm sure he isn't that silly....
you've assumed that because there was an inbalance in the stats for particular races (yes i know that in affect means all races) that when the stats are changed there will be bonuses for the races that had it hard this round to make up......
infact i've just thought of a FANTASTICAL analogy to use......
say a teacher in a school has a student who happens to be his son.
To make sure the other students don't think he's being too easy on his kid, he tends to be overly harsh on him. (analytical step 1 if you will) (this stage could also be likened to a stats monger giving into the ravenous horde of anti cath monkeys who managed to convince said monger that caths would be too strong)
The next analytical step in this rather strange metaphor would be for the father/teacher to purposely not be too harsh, to show that he A. will not change his behaviour to prove himself to his pupils and B. show his son he is a fair man (analytical step 2)
then there could be multiple steps going on and on, counteracting previous motivations or making new ones.
a fantastical web of analytical thnking that if you go too far you'll end up drinking copious amounts of alchohol and possibly find yourself slipping into a deep existencial depression.
all this for some better ships stats ? doesn't sound worth it too me. BUT ALAS for a kind soul will take the necessary analytical steps too ensure your enjoyment of future rounds....... and his name ? frank dobson, the failed labour back bencher aka jester. i think.
I enjoy your posts.
Unread 25 May 2005, 02:40   #6
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
Well I'm planning to wait and see the stats when they're released and make my decision from there.

Seems like the sensible option.

And JBG, I'm clever, where do I sign up to help PATeam out?
There's a thread on the strategy forum and many different threads on the suggestions and development discussions forums.
Unread 25 May 2005, 09:48   #7
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaal Satori
Given the completely abysmal performance of Cathaar this round, I was thinking of playing as them next round.
<collective gasp>

My reasoning is as follows: PA Team knows how badly they made the cath and how overpowering they made the ziks this round, and will undoubtedly attempt to correct for this. Chances are when they do so they will end up overcompensating, thus reversing the fortunes of the two races in r14. To compound this, a lot of cath players will be signing up to play as zik since that was by far the most successful race this round and they're all tired of losing. The vast flood of ziks will translate into heavy anti-zik strategy, leaving the few remaining caths to operate unchallenged and without the intense focus they received this round.

So am I overanalyzing the situation or is this a potential outcome? I'll admit that an equally distinct possibility is that PA team will stubbornly hold to the perceived infallibility of their stats, thus allowing the current dichotomy of races to continue.
You're a cunning one.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2005, 11:14   #8
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaal Satori
PA Team knows how badly they made the cath and how overpowering they made the ziks this round, and will undoubtedly attempt to correct for this.
Whilst this is true, i might be inclined to nerf Ziks a little, improve caths a little, but improve Terran alot - obviously to help out all the little n00b planets that go Terran, plus i want a good reason to actually go with them as a race for once (i'm still a Terran Virgin. 'lo noah ).

But then, i am perhaps more cynnical than others who might be building the stats - but i tend not to show it ('lo jester ).
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2005, 12:54   #9
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Whilst this is true, i might be inclined to nerf Ziks a little, improve caths a little, but improve Terran alot - obviously to help out all the little n00b planets that go Terran, plus i want a good reason to actually go with them as a race for once (i'm still a Terran Virgin. 'lo noah ).

But then, i am perhaps more cynnical than others who might be building the stats - but i tend not to show it ('lo jester ).

Only thing i think needs improving is the harpys actually
Everything seems perfect to me
If only I could keep my roids i would be slightly higher but then again wouldnt we all be :P
I think caths need the biggest improvement but i still think they should be weak against Terrans.

Edit: Being able to attack every race including Xans this round is great Attacking Xans is what I have always wanted to do since round 11.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2005, 19:26   #10
Benneh
Non directed and witty

Benneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet society

Dont go cath its shit.

Edit: Well they ahve to improve cath ALOT and weaken zik.

Other 2 races imo are fine.
Benneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2005, 19:30   #11
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker
Dont read my posts they're shit.
Fixed, with added humour.

Cath are indeed weaker this round, but they're still playable (and sniborp seems to be gaining roids at the moment while I recall every morning )

As for next round, I'll wait and see how the EMP/steal/cloak works out before making any definite pronouncements. But another CO ship to replace the current Viper is my current favourite.
Unread 25 May 2005, 19:39   #12
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Cath are indeed weaker this round, but they're still playable (and sniborp seems to be gaining roids at the moment while I recall every morning )
MUAHAHAHAHA!

2 consecutive days roiding gaining about 500 roids and only losing 200 cr isnt bad for me

I'll get roided now

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
Edit: Being able to attack every race including Xans this round is great Attacking Xans is what I have always wanted to do since round 11.
Err unless xan fleet comp is shit, terrans get pwned by xan
Unread 25 May 2005, 20:02   #13
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
MUAHAHAHAHA!

2 consecutive days roiding gaining about 500 roids and only losing 200 cr isnt bad for me

I'll get roided now

Err unless xan fleet comp is shit, terrans get pwned by xan
i see a lot of xans with less than 400 peacekeepers so i land on them
So like i said I like attacking xans

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2005, 20:39   #14
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

I use Destroyers and I cannot put into words how much I hate Xans and their blasted Fireblades.

I..... hate them....... so....... much........ GAH!!!!! ............. *KABOOM* (Head explodes)
Unread 26 May 2005, 10:24   #15
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

TheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud of

i find it quite amusing to attack terrans with my cath fleet

usually made up of loads of scorpion, + beetles n mosqs. works nice on those targets without to many dragons

tsm
Unread 26 May 2005, 10:30   #16
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowMan
i find it quite amusing to attack terrans with my cath fleet

usually made up of loads of scorpion, + beetles n mosqs. works nice on those targets without to many dragons

tsm
Don't you find these targets without many dragons fairly rare?
Unread 26 May 2005, 10:46   #17
Cannon_Fodder

And already attacked by real caths?
Unread 29 May 2005, 01:53   #18
God
of War

God can only hope to improve

the aim is to have all races even, and i trust all the beta tester and pa team to make it possible

"[Zeus to Ares:] 'To me you are the most hateful of all the gods who hold Olympos. Forever quarrelling is dear to your heart, wars and battles." - Homer, Iliad 5.699
God is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2005, 03:23   #19
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about

Since i were cath this round, my only suggestion for next round is make only 1 race for next round.
If races can't be more balanced then they have been this round, then the only reason i can see for making diffent races is to make ppl quit playing pa.

If there's a a race as bad as cath were this round, i'll probably end up picking that race and finally decide to quit playing pa
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2005, 05:02   #20
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by God
the aim is to have all races even, and i trust all the beta tester and pa team to make it possible
This round was a bit different to usual, as the impact of the re-introduction of Zik stealing was thought to be offset by their inability to stop pods - thus ziks would be getting owned at the start of the round and thus killing them off before they could get off the ground.

Alas, that didnt happen. Instead, political forces made a slight imbalance in cathaar get blown out of proportion - especially as alliances like 1up are largely cathaar.

One on its own would have been ok, but the two combined magnified the problem beyond virtually everyone's wildest dreams (otherwise no-where near as many people would have gone cathaar ).

Its incredibly difficult to forsee such problems whilst building stats.

Furthermore, i dont think that all the races have to be 'balanced' as that is obviously impossible to do without having the race proportions, the alliance politics etc etc known before a round starts. That's obviously not going to happen, so stat makers like myself (and jester for that matter) try and achieve something aproximating balance based on what we forsee that will happen in the upcoming round.

There is a big difference, sadly.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2005, 06:26   #21
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by God
I'm not sure it is.
Unread 29 May 2005, 08:05   #22
snra
[MDEL]

snra is an unknown quantity at this point

Stealing ability of zik is so powerful, it should either be given in smaller scale to other races (cat in particular), or scrapped entirely.
Would be interesting if all Cat ships for example had just 1 point of "stealing firepower" in addition to normal, but that might be a bitch to code in.
Would make defending for caths way more rewarding, as that is what they are the best anyway.
This coming from a zik.
snra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2005, 08:15   #23
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snra
Stealing ability of zik is so powerful, it should either be given in smaller scale to other races (cat in particular), or scrapped entirely.
Nah, done right it can be balanced.

Edit: I just realized that this and the last post contradict eachother :\