User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 14 May 2005, 09:49   #101
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

TheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud of
Re: Dont shave the Caths!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ryzekiel_
Oh for christ's sake you ****ing moron, stop making me have to spell everything out for you. It was condescending simply because you actually had pm-ed rather than leaving it with a post on the forums.

Stop being so condescending man!

Unread 14 May 2005, 12:16   #102
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
I am inclined to suggst another option:

3) Increase the damage done bu cathaar kill ships to be as efficient as xans. Make them target the two classes that have two pods in them. Ensure that the kill ships are NOT in the same class as either attacking fleet.

.....(snipped)

Having killing ships discourages attacks by certain races with certain classes. It gives caths good defensive ships (especially if they are low ETA) which can be used in alliance or in-gal, and are thus more willing to trade def etc. Most importantly, Cathaars dont simply become free roidings for 4 of the 8 types of pods (assuming 2 kill ships targeting 2 classes with 2 pods in each class). However, it doesnt make cathaar impossible to defend against by having these kill ships outside their attacking ship's class - if they were CR, for example, the combination of stun-first then wtfpwn kill would be far too powerful.

Having said all that, i do strongly agree with option 1) as it gives more flexibility when building ships (ie stealers could have really low EMP res, but zik killers high EMP res - thus making stealing runs on caths alot harder - especially with kill ships - whilst not nerfing the kill ships so they are so brittle they cannot even consider touching xans with a ten foot pole).

/me votes 1 & 3 for victory! .
Giving Cathaar powerful kill ships makes them too powerful anyway. Do you remember the Rogue of Round 12? I loved that ship (since I was Zik), it just looked at fighters and they went boom. However, it meant that they covered too many in-gal defences (where ETA didn't matter), since just a couple of hundred Rogues could cause unacceptable losses.

I agree with giving Cath some off-class decent kill ships, but suggesting that they are made as powerful as Xans' scares me.

Quote:
the combination of stun-first then wtfpwn kill would be far too powerful.
My respect/love for you just went off the scale.
Unread 14 May 2005, 12:34   #103
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Why cant caths have a decent kill ship, they are technologically very advanced and can bypass armour with EMP shots, so why wouldnt their normal weapons be rather effective. Caths wouldnt be so powerful because people could still team up on them, they might have low emp res and besides, they would only target a few classes overall, so any race could send a pod fleet that isnt targetted by the kill ships
Unread 14 May 2005, 13:10   #104
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowMan
Stop being so condescending man!

I wasn't being condescending, I was stating that you were an idiot, whilst treating you like you were one, as I had stated it which meant you required to be treated as such.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 May 2005, 13:39   #105
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
Why cant caths have a decent kill ship, they are technologically very advanced and can bypass armour with EMP shots, so why wouldnt their normal weapons be rather effective. Caths wouldnt be so powerful because people could still team up on them, they might have low emp res and besides, they would only target a few classes overall, so any race could send a pod fleet that isnt targetted by the kill ships
I'm talking about the consequences for in-gal defence. If Cath have strong kill ships, then they would be able to cover (as in force recall cover) incomings, even when etas don't match. Just look at the Rogue in r12.

Besides, with those kill ships, then there's no need for the respective EMP ship, therefore you just make them stronger.

And I thought we weren't trying to force people into teaming up
Unread 14 May 2005, 15:56   #106
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Giving Cathaar powerful kill ships makes them too powerful anyway. Do you remember the Rogue of Round 12? I loved that ship (since I was Zik), it just looked at fighters and they went boom. However, it meant that they covered too many in-gal defences (where ETA didn't matter), since just a couple of hundred Rogues could cause unacceptable losses.
Is this an inherrently badthing? The obvious solution to prevent in-gal defence of this sort from caths it to the caths with those classes of pods as well - after all, their ships cant be in two places at once. It just means caths wont get roided by those classes - if they keep them home .

Quote:
I agree with giving Cath some off-class decent kill ships, but suggesting that they are made as powerful as Xans' scares me.
Why? their EMP is almost as efficient as xan killing. Caths still have the potential to be roided to the ground byt the other four types of pods - for free, remember.

I think its a happy middle ground, and the fairies agree with me!

Quote:
My respect/love for you just went off the scale.
I wub j00 long time too mate .
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 May 2005, 16:00   #107
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Besides, with those kill ships, then there's no need for the respective EMP ship, therefore you just make them stronger.
Whilst i admit your first point does have a significant amount of merit, this is just silly mate . ofc they will need their respective EMP ship - as their kill ships are inherrently defensive they arent going on too many attacks (especially if they were poorly armoured and in a different class and thus highly vulnerable to off-class defence like the Wyvern/Peg/Dem combo in R7. God i loved killing thousands of Wyvern and not touching the DE and still forcing recalls ). Thus, to attack with caths will still need their EMP ships - their major strength. Defensively, for some races, they wont be free roids if you can overwhelm their EMP. That is the difference.

Quote:
And I thought we weren't trying to force people into teaming up
If anything, this change wouldnt encourage teaming-up i reckon. Due to the roid cap formula, every attacker is assigned roids regardless of whether they have pods present or not. Thus, if a cath sent along one of their kill ships (mixed in with someone else's class) then they forgo their share of the roids - thus reducing the total cap of roids from the target. Similarly, by killing so much, it can be argued that they wouldnt be best to team up with ziks either - as you would have killed all the ships the zik was trying to steal which kind of also defeats the purpose .

keep in mind, though, that my proposed cathaar kill ships - although as powerful as Xan ships, are still inferior due to the critical importance of initiatives. Xan ships are uber because they have low ETA, kill alot and fire before most other things that kill them - if they didnt have this initative advantage then going xan would be a far worse decision than going cath and building CR (which is as low as you can go atm - lo furball ). Just remember the inits.

Last edited by Ultimate Newbie; 14 May 2005 at 16:11.
Unread 14 May 2005, 17:37   #108
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Did you call me a fairy?

and did you say i can get roids even if i dont send pods?
Unread 14 May 2005, 17:56   #109
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Did you call me a fairy?
err... not unless you like being called that .

Quote:
and did you say i can get roids even if i dont send pods?
No, i said that roids would be allocated to you, not captured by you. Most importantly, un-captured roids are not re-allocated to other attackers - hence the opportunity cost.
Unread 14 May 2005, 20:36   #110
Treveler
Its time to roll the dice

Treveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant future

Changing stats mid round is a BIG no NO! I`m cath myself and suffer from the same symptoms as everybody else. I`ve tried it all and found out that going CR heavy is the only way to go and for my ally I build one big anti CR (scarab) fleet flying out as often as they can.

I`ve also found fake fleeting to be a bit successfull tho. Just find a big xan with less amps then you have blockers and bug the living daylight out of him with fakes, launch-recalls, fake-reals and real-fakes.

Its fun and you will cap roids but you are cath and will lose them pretty damn fast, but I will never stop a fight just because I`ve lost!
Unread 15 May 2005, 09:21   #111
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
"be adaptable and aggressive because it pays"

applies to every race.
Or:
-Adapt
-Overcome
-STFU

These are Core Values - they apply to life in general.

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2005, 10:00   #112
Cannon_Fodder

Just deleted my cath account. Couldn't take 4 waves yet again uncovered, unreported on a 300 roid 1mil cath who has less roids than anyone else in-gal AND other caths... its just stupid, every attack i need to pull.
Unread 15 May 2005, 13:44   #113
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold

well done Snipborp i dont blame u. Last week i was going to have my fleet killed at my planet, donate all salvage (40 mil) to gal fund, then ask to get my account changed to xan and reset.
Donate resources back to my self and build 70k worth of xan fi fleet. For remaining two weeks with a value of ~600k to start with i reckon a could overtake my current score as a cath easily.
Only prob is/was my gal are dying and it gives me less motivation...
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2005, 14:01   #114
furball

It also wouldn't have worked. When a planet is reset, it is totally stripped bare - it doesn't retain anything like its galaxy either.
Unread 15 May 2005, 14:03   #115
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold

um yes it does. u remain in same galaxy if u want i already checked. And if u donated to fund before u were reset why shoulnt pa team be able to stop it? what difference between resetting a planet with high value or a planet with low value?
Also furball please check what i wrote, i said i would donate 40mil resources to galfund ( being mod myself) BEFORE being reset, then ask for a reset and hey presto donate resources back to myself after reset as a new race.
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Unread 15 May 2005, 14:32   #116
furball

When talking to Sovereign on MSN last night, he said that everything changes. I assumed that this was correct .

Your idea seemed pretty good, it indeed made good sense if it wasn't for the fact that I don't think that you remain in the same galaxy. But - if PA Team has confirmed that you can, then good luck.
Unread 15 May 2005, 14:37   #117
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

yup, me and a few of the other high valued caths were seriously thinking about doing it, but we figured may as well stay and help our aliances out rather than go off on a selfish mission for score etc
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Unread 15 May 2005, 14:46   #118
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Some of you guys, certain "god"'s especially really need to stop continuously stating the obvious and/or re-wording whatever they've quoted but still say the exact same thing.

Last edited by _ryzekiel_; 15 May 2005 at 14:47. Reason: typo-es rock
Unread 15 May 2005, 14:47   #119
electron
electric storm conjurer

electron is on a distinguished road

Yeah furball, the reset also exiles you. I specifically asked to be kept in the same galaxy, even said it'd be OK for me to get less roids/resources or researches. They wouldn't "open an exception" for me, so I guess there's something wrong with Rinoa's information (or there might be some sort of advantage there ).

About the changes, I agree with most of what has been suggested, just don't think everything can be implemented together. Oh well, that's a PA-team issue and I don't know how they'll sort it out.

My opinion, though, is that one of the factors that contributed the most to the way the top100 ranking looks like, is that Ziks don't loose ships when stealing. Wouldn't that balance things a little bit? I mean, the way it works now, Ziks grow exponentially.

It'd still be good to play Zik, yet not as unbalanced, if, for instance, a Zik stealing ship took the same damage it inflicted when shooting. There may be needed some stats changes, I'm not sure, but things wouldn't be so extreme like they are now. That way, a Zik would still grow faster, but wouldn't work like a blackhole, absorving everything around itself.

Really, think of it. Theoretically, a given Zik could finish top1 spending just a small amount of resources if compared to other top players of different races (of course, it's a totally hypothetical case). As those ships don't get lost, the Zik's fleet would only grow, ad infinitum. If that Zik focused on Caths for a while, and luckly didn't get expressive incomings to force him loosing ships, it'd get to a point where it'd be virtually impossible to hit him 1x1.

Also, I think it wouldn't cause much harm to balace Cath's armor/damage to the other races. Shooting first shouldn't be a reason to cause so much less damage AND having so much less armor.
electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2005, 14:52   #120
jerome

I know of at least two planets who remained in the same galaxy after resetting. I was under the impression each planet being reset were allowed a choice also?

Well, aren't these revelations just fantastic!
Unread 15 May 2005, 15:15   #121
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ryzekiel_
I know of at least two planets who remained in the same galaxy after resetting. I was under the impression each planet being reset were allowed a choice also?

Well, aren't these revelations just fantastic!
I am under the impression that a certain planet was allowed to keep it's research achievements also.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2005, 15:17   #122
jerome

What the ****?:D Why haven't the PATeam publicized this option.
Unread 15 May 2005, 15:23   #123
electron
electric storm conjurer

I'm talking to the person who reset me (Kal) about it. Apparently, the PAteam decides that kind of thing on a personal basis. Kal said "well i don't give a choice, i don't know who does".

Strike out, in my opinion :/
Unread 15 May 2005, 15:35   #124
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

When I first heard zik was back, I assumed stealing ships would indeed die upon stealing, as in past rounds. This would seem to me to be a logical and suitable weakness for the Zik race.
Unread 15 May 2005, 15:44   #125
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Gio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond repute

lol

-You go Cathaar, you are fkd
-You want to reset, they take roids/ships/research/buildings from you?

What's next? Make you pay for your account again? To be honest, to do this to a planet who has paid for his account and has the right to have a fun round is adding insult to injury.
Unread 15 May 2005, 16:11   #126
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

or instead... look at the person responsible for chosing the race of your planet, yourself, and blame him. You didn't have to chose cathaar, and before tick start you could still change it, the fact you haven't is your own mistake. Just live with it and adept instead of trying to blame others for your own choices
Unread 15 May 2005, 17:13   #127
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandows
or instead... look at the person responsible for chosing the race of your planet, yourself, and blame him. You didn't have to chose cathaar, and before tick start you could still change it, the fact you haven't is your own mistake. Just live with it and adept instead of trying to blame others for your own choices
Unread 15 May 2005, 17:50   #128
Cannon_Fodder

Brilliant post Sov, really added to the discussion there.

If i was running a business where for £5 I gave that person a prize from one of four choices, surely that customer would not expect one of the prizes to be (effectively) worthless and the rest good prizes.

P.s. Yes that was a shit example, and don't go on about that picking a race isn't random, well in theory no race should have a bias so it can be considered random.
Unread 15 May 2005, 19:16   #129
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

All races should be playable.
Unread 16 May 2005, 01:39   #130
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Brilliant post Sov, really added to the discussion there.
I thought it might. thankyou .

Quote:
well in theory no race should have a bias so it can be considered random.
That's stupid. All races must be biased - but biased in different respects. That's what makes the different (obviously). Eg, Cathaar's research bonus wasnt enough this round to let them break away and walk all over ziks and xan initially. Next round, it could be different. Last round it definately was. Race selection isnt just about ships, but the race as a whole and how to use their strengths to succeed. Yes - that's right! Cathaars still have strengths. Its unfortunate that the people who play cathaar are still trying to use brute force and sheer single-mindedness with their CR to win - when obviously the proliferation of big (greedy) Ziks in the universe makes that unviable.

On a side note, working out what balance is beforehand is incredibly difficult. I dont think anyone who hasnt made ship stats before understands that. I, personally, think Jester has done an (overall) excellent job with the stats especially with regards to the re-introduction of stealing this round. Besides, its better having 3/4 of the universe happy than 1/4 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neferti
They all are. Granted, some are easier than others - but when has that not been the case?
Unread 16 May 2005, 02:59   #131
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neferti
I'm convinced Cath would've been playable (if not 'best') if only ~10% of the paying playerbase had gone with them.

I think that next round the default race should be whatever race currently has the fewest paid accounts.

I think that next round stats should be more resilient to sign-up weighting*.

* This requires fundamental changes I didn't even consider for this round's stats.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2005, 03:44   #132
Treveler

Treveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yes - that's right! Cathaars still have strengths. Its unfortunate that the people who play cathaar are still trying to use brute force and sheer single-mindedness with their CR to win - when obviously the proliferation of big (greedy) Ziks in the universe makes that unviable.
I’m curious. What does your brilliant mind suggest that caths should do? Send small cr fleets at bigger xan targets with no bombers? In a war situation you can seldom chose so specifically and when you find one, you are so easy to stop you you will probably get a mail from your targets telling you he laughs so hard it hurts.

Go with a heavy co fleet? The only race cath can effectively attack at this point is other caths. Lancers (xan) buccs (zik) and nixes (terran) make every other race a waste of time to attack.

The only effective way to go with cath is cr heavy and use fakes til you drop. And dont come and suggest a team-up as every other race is perfectly capable of attacking alone.

Last edited by Treveler; 16 May 2005 at 13:16.
Treveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2005, 05:29   #133
Duncan
saint-ciboire de tabarnac

Duncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud of

This broken record shit is pretty funny. Unsatisfied custommers keep complaining for mainly one reason: noone in charge has shown they give a shit. The stalling tactic used by game admins is pretty efficetive, it's too late for them to do anything about the cath race this round. Very shrewd. Too bad they didn't put that sort of thought into the ship-stats.

This is an unbalanced game. As pretty much all caths will tell you, from the expert to newb, caths are grossly underpowered and it's just not fun. More paid planets chose cath, yet they keep falling in ranks day by day. Many people have said this, and many times it's ignored -- the game stats pretty much prove the unbalance.

Quote:
This logic is retarded.

I'm just going to repeat my post from another thread, because it was ignored point blank. I increased my hostility in this post in hopes of actually getting a response.

A large majority of people who order a hamburger at a restaurant make no contributions to the farming, processing, distribution or preperation of said hamburger. Yet some would complain if they found a stray pubic hair nestled in some lettuce, or if they got food poisoning from spoiled meat. Others would never return to the restaurant again.

Movie watchers rarely have anything to do with the production of the movies or construction of the theater. Still, some people walk out of shit movies or demand a refund if some minor technical problem occurs.

A game like starcraft would have failed if it was extremely hard to win with one of the races, and another was much stronger then the other two.

In all of these examples, why blame the custommer for making a wrong selection at the wrong time? It's the business that ****ed up by providing a defective product. They either improve their sevice and product, or lose out on profits and have an increased risk of going broke. It's NOT our duty to examine everything that can possibly go wrong with each and every product we buy. Sorry dude.

The amount of PA's payed accounts is rather small ya? Maybe gamers of this genre don't think it's worth the money. Maybe crap like this is one of the reasons.
Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2005, 07:49   #134
Cannon_Fodder

Quote:
I didn't go cathaar nah nah nah nah.
Others above have replied to this effectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
I'm convinced Cath would've been playable (if not 'best') if only ~10% of the paying playerbase had gone with them.

I think that next round the default race should be whatever race currently has the fewest paid accounts.

* This requires fundamental changes I didn't even consider for this round's stats.

I really don't see how having less caths in the universe helps caths. The corsair problem would still exist (Don't say ziks wouldnt build them because there would be fewer caths.) It would just mean more incs on those caths left.

As for the changing of default race, i suggested something similar yonks ago, but got flamed :/
Unread 16 May 2005, 09:10   #135
MarkieC

MarkieC is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetrash

A large majority of people who order a hamburger at a restaurant make no contributions to the farming, processing, distribution or preperation of said hamburger. Yet some would complain if they found a stray pubic hair nestled in some lettuce, or if they got food poisoning from spoiled meat. Others would never return to the restaurant again.

Movie watchers rarely have anything to do with the production of the movies or construction of the theater. Still, some people walk out of shit movies or demand a refund if some minor technical problem occurs.

A game like starcraft would have failed if it was extremely hard to win with one of the races, and another was much stronger then the other two.

In all of these examples, why blame the custommer for making a wrong selection at the wrong time? It's the business that ****ed up by providing a defective product. They either improve their sevice and product, or lose out on profits and have an increased risk of going broke. It's NOT our duty to examine everything that can possibly go wrong with each and every product we buy. Sorry dude.

The amount of PA's payed accounts is rather small ya? Maybe gamers of this genre don't think it's worth the money. Maybe crap like this is one of the reasons.

well said, and i know i wont be paying until i can see i've made a decent race choice. If i choose to play at all.
MarkieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2005, 13:54   #136
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

"Whatever"
Unread 16 May 2005, 13:58   #137
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetrash
I find this rather typical tbh. I think its stupid to expect everything is being done for you to make your life as easy as possible. In this game, just as almost everywhere else, its possible things fk up. And instead of doing the easiest thing possible (which is complaining and whining), you can try and make something out of the situation. You might not end on top of things, but it sure would make life easier, instead of whining and waiting till others do it for you. Some ppl actually value their own achievements (with products that might be broken) and don't look for other to blame their failure on
Unread 16 May 2005, 14:58   #138
MarkieC

MarkieC is an unknown quantity at this point

thats as well as maybe, but do you at least admit that the stats are 'broken' ?
MarkieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2005, 14:58   #139
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned

Caths would have been best if Corsairs had been Fr - if none went zik , if none build corsairs, if corsairs did target another class or if corsairs hadnt been so fking overpowered.

I blame my doom on the corsairs.

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2005, 15:06   #140
Treveler

Quote:
"Whatever"
Is that the best cath strategy you can come up with?

You truly are a genious!
Unread 16 May 2005, 15:13   #141
electron
electric storm conjurer

I thought the behaviour of not fighting for your rights was a typical brazilian thing. I see now that many foreigners expect everyone to do so. What a shame.

Wandows and all others who say it's the Caths' fault to have chosen going Cath: Yes, you are all right in that noone forced anyone to go Cath. But is it really what matters here? If any given race were to be rendered powerless in front of all others, why have it there in the first place? Had I had the "vision" to see Cathaar's unefficiencies before tickstart, not only I wouldn't have picked it up, but I'd certainly warn everyone I knew to not go Cath.

There's already too much whining, but asking for changes is what every Cathaar in the game should be doing, if they feel underpowered (and I'd bet my money that near all of them do). Your argument that Caths should shut up and "adapt", or "live with it", or otherwise give up, is plain hypocrisy. Were the Xans the ones heavily underpowered here, tons of them would be complaining too. The same for any race.

So if you don't have solid arguments, instead of pointing your little finger, closing your eyes and ears and screaming "lalala, I'm not hearing you n00b, stop whining".. Why don't you try and show (with facts, not blown-in-the-air words) how pro of a player you all are and change the Cath scenario?

Come on. Let's analyse one of your points:

"Instead of relying on a big CR fleet, try going with a huge CO fleet."

OK. You have a huge CO fleet. Who are you attacking with it? Terrans? I'll bet their Nixes will make you cry. Oh, but then you can take them out, right? With what, exactly? Spiders? No, with Scorpions. Oh no, Scorps are what, again? CR, aren't they? But you'd bet just a couple of them would make it, wouldn't they? Not to mention the high ETA, favouring galaxy AND alliance coverage.

So you want to attack another Cath with those CO. How exactly do you expect to outcome their Scorps, not to mention FI/CO/FR/DE they might get for defense? Your beetles don't shoot at every class, mister.

Oh, the Xans. There's some possibility.. Or, there was. When Xans were all about the FI, you could stand a chance. Now that most of them already have balanced enough fleets, how do you expect to outcome massive FI fleets AND DE? Again, we were talking of a huge Cath CO fleet, remember? You only fire at FI and roids.

Then it comes to the Ziks. At this point, any Zik the size any Cath has enough FI to get those beetles busy enough, most probably has enough Nixes to make that Cath think twice before launching, and most certainly has Buccs enough to make that same Cath cry after landing.

So there. We have your argument discussed, race by race. Where's the big fish for Caths? Well, you can always go XP whoring, as you're going with a massive CO fleet. You can rebuild fast and restart the process, right? But wait, to do that you need resources, that come from roids. Roids, that same thing you just cannot keep long enough, even if you don't go CO-huge. Hmmm.. I'm almost following you, but not quite yet.

The point is: Going CO-huge would force you to either go XP whoring, suiciding your fleet every week in favour of score (and most certainly, little/no roids), or, if you choose not to be a suicide, you'd either land once every 5 or so tries, or keep attacking planets half your size and still hoping they got no defense.

Come on, folks. It's pretty obvious that Caths are way below every other race this round. I'm tired of the whining myself, and I've suggested that we discuss the changes for this to not happen next round, but please.. Stop talking as if the whining is non-sensical. Caths ARE underpowered, and heavily this round.
Unread 16 May 2005, 15:20   #142
Duncan

Duncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud of

Quote:
I find this rather typical tbh. I think its stupid to expect everything is being done for you to make your life as easy as possible. In this game, just as almost everywhere else, its possible things fk up. And instead of doing the easiest thing possible (which is complaining and whining), you can try and make something out of the situation. You might not end on top of things, but it sure would make life easier, instead of whining and waiting till others do it for you. Some ppl actually value their own achievements (with products that might be broken) and don't look for other to blame their failure on
I find your latest reply even more retarded tbh. You're telling people to make lemonade when life throws them lemons?

HHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Save it for someone who gets layoffed and can't feed their children anymore. We're talking about a game being unbalanced, not life's shitty situations you have to deal with. Noone needs to play this game (bar the extremely addicted). Not that many people even want to play anymore. I don't see a bright future for PA if the owners take your stance.

The general public isn't brimming with professional game coders that can actually fix these problems. Regardless of this fact, many gamers have made suggestions that could get the ball rolling for balance. From what I've read a wide spectrum of tactics has been tried by cath players to no avail. (edit- electron's post sums up some of these) The large majority are just not having fun. Informing the game admins of these facts is just about all that can be done. They're continuing to bitch and complain because no official response has been given as of yet.
Unread 16 May 2005, 15:28   #143
Wandows
[Vision]

i think you missed my point... eventhough you might not believe it, i think the ppl who will work on next round are aware of the flaws in the stats and will work on it for next round. There is no way (or atleast, very little chance) they will change the stats mid round, as the chance that they unbalance the round that way is way to high (no proper testing etc). And instead of keeping crying over spilled milk, wait and see what they bring up for the changes. Untill then, stop whining and play the game.

And.. do you really think a game admin saying 'yes, i agree.. cathaar stats aren't the best' is going to help cathaar even the slightest bit? Also, the game admins rarely make the stats themselves, there are other bright minds amongst us gamers that do that (and thank them for it), so the admins themselves can't really promise anything @ this area anyway.
Unread 16 May 2005, 15:32   #144
Cannon_Fodder

Quote:

A flawed response, people are saying the product is 'broken' not how they use it. Ofc if all this thread was started by noobs coming in here saying 'Oh n0es a zik st0le ma fl33t, dez st4ts 4re s0 unfairz' then by all means flame them with your above response, but it wasn't.

FYI Wishmaster, zik have enough heavily armoured frigs to flak past roaches as it is without letting them have another...
Unread 16 May 2005, 15:43   #145
Duncan

Who does what isn't public information.

Yeah, admiitting that your game is unbalanced and telling people (specifically new players and potential buyers) that things will be fixed can only have positive effects.

A patch or update is pretty common in computer games. I guess whoever runs PA doesn't have the resources for an effective mid-round patch.
Unread 16 May 2005, 17:17   #146
Neferti
part time ghost

How can you claim Cathaar is truly playable? There are so few good Cathaars, and I simply can't believe that 99% of Cathaar players are simply bad players. I don't recall it being advertised as the 'hard' race before the round. Indeed, I seem to recall zik being advertised as 'hard' (perhaps memory fails me...).
Unread 16 May 2005, 18:04   #147
furball

Cathaar will be sorted out for next round. There's some very good people working on those stats.

How about some of you try submitting your own stats for Cathaar next round, to see what you could do to fix the problem? I did it a couple of days ago and came out with some that I was very happy with. A bit of constructive criticism from the stats makers meant that I'm now revising those stats to try to balance the races that Cath would hit.

If we all put in as much effort as we have arguing about this, and put that into trying to make balanced stats for next round, then r14 will be kick-ass
Unread 16 May 2005, 20:31   #148
Cannon_Fodder

I did a few weeks ago about this problem, I'll try again with a few things in mind learned since then.
Unread 16 May 2005, 22:12   #149
Wandows
[Vision]

Quote:
Originally Posted by electron
Wandows and all others who say it's the Caths' fault to have chosen going Cath: Yes, you are all right in that noone forced anyone to go Cath. But is it really what matters here? If any given race were to be rendered powerless in front of all others, why have it there in the first place? Had I had the "vision" to see Cathaar's unefficiencies before tickstart, not only I wouldn't have picked it up, but I'd certainly warn everyone I knew to not go Cath.
just incase you wondered... i am playing Cathaar as well. The thing is just that i don't mind to have shit stats and try to get my planet to the best position possible. Its true roiding is more expensive and i have to take more losses, so be it. Its a game after all, and the dice can role many different ways
Unread 18 May 2005, 07:58   #150
Cannon_Fodder

I don't care about stats now, im just building my cr fleet full of sk's and retalling those noob caths who keep roiding me..