User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 29 Jun 2003, 01:55   #1
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
Fox News

It's recently hit home to me exactly how much of a patriotic US übertabloid sort of news service this is. I already knew it was a bit crap and overly heralding of good old Uncle Sam, but a programme this week really took the biscuit.
I'm not sure if anyone watched the BBC's "what the world thinks of America" programme that they did from a length of surveys and research they've done worldwide, as well as observations and surveys from this country. Basically it showed that a lot of the eastern world didn't like America because it throws its weight around a lot. Fox's answer to this was to run it's own feature where it accused the BBC of being biased. FOX news accusing the BBC of bias! Am i the only one who thinks this is a trifle rich, coming from a channel that has had a program called "AMERICA AT WAR" running for about 12 hours each day since 11th September 2001?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2003, 01:57   #2
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
mmmm trifle
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2003, 02:23   #3
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I'm genuinely greatful for the likes of Fox News.

With propagandists at the New York Times (or the BBC) leftists have to waste their times picking apart their arguments, doing hard research in which to fight off the lies.

Thankfully the inanities of Fox News speaks for itself. Of course, they all form part of the broad spectrum of "acceptable opinion" which defends broadly the status quo.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2003, 02:32   #4
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
i have to say im quite fond of the beeb.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2003, 02:33   #5
sinnamon xie
teens1ut

sinnamon xie is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh please, most of the US media is crap. Is that any surprise? It's not in their best interests to not be patriotic and craptastic.

[M&S]
sinnamon xie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2003, 03:28   #6
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks

With propagandists at the New York Times (or the BBC) leftists have to waste their times picking apart their arguments, doing hard research in which to fight off the lies.

Thankfully the inanities of Fox News speaks for itself. Of course, they all form part of the broad spectrum of "acceptable opinion" which defends broadly the status quo.
And it's rather amusing to watch

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Unread 29 Jun 2003, 09:32   #7
Anaximander

Anaximander is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Fox News

Quote:
Originally posted by Mushroom
I'm not sure if anyone watched the BBC's "what the world thinks of America" programme that they did from a length of surveys and research they've done worldwide, as well as observations and surveys from this country. Basically it showed that a lot of the eastern world didn't like America because it throws its weight around a lot. Fox's answer to this was to run it's own feature where it accused the BBC of being biased. FOX news accusing the [i]BBC[/i
But Fox ist right,you know. A lenght of surveys and research? Oh my! The BBC IS biased. It is not only a lot of the eastern countries, it is most countries of the world, that don't like America.
Unread 29 Jun 2003, 10:24   #8
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Fox News

Quote:
I'm not sure if anyone watched the BBC's "what the world thinks of America" programme that they did from a length of surveys and research they've done worldwide, as well as observations and surveys from this country. Basically it showed that a lot of the eastern world didn't like America because it throws its weight around a lot. Fox's answer to this was to run it's own feature where it accused the BBC of being biased. FOX news accusing the BBC of bias! Am i the only one who thinks this is a trifle rich, coming from a channel that has had a program called "AMERICA AT WAR" running for about 12 hours each day since 11th September 2001?
They're in denial.

The new 'Extreme Action' bill will be introduced once this phase of denial has passed, in which any country that's public opinion does not favour the US will be bombed and have their population removed and replaced with cheap American imports.

Last edited by Apothos; 29 Jun 2003 at 10:33.
Apothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2003, 13:37   #9
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Re: Re: Fox News

Quote:
Originally posted by Anaximander
But Fox ist right,you know. A lenght of surveys and research? Oh my! The BBC IS biased. It is not only a lot of the eastern countries, it is most countries of the world, that don't like America.
Yep, but it pointed out that while most people in the world have misgivings about america, the hatred in the middle east and some other eastern countries (north korea etc) is where most of it lies. Quite an obvious point, but I felt the entire programme was a good representation of global attitudes to be honest.

George Bernard Shaw
Unread 29 Jun 2003, 14:06   #10
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice
Actually I was suprised that most countries rated Al queda worse than the US
Unread 29 Jun 2003, 14:11   #11
Chrism
Governor General

Chrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the rough
Fox is absolutely hilarious. Especially it's catchphrase - "fair and balanced"
Unread 29 Jun 2003, 14:46   #12
Tzencath

Tzencath is an unknown quantity at this point
Be careful, already americans are initiating a regime change in british companies, won't be long before Cbeebies is broadcasting images of the telletubies 'pacifiying' islamic rabbits...
Unread 29 Jun 2003, 16:07   #13
Jammers

Jammers has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I watched FoxNews once, there was a semi-interesting story about how those Brave American Heros carpet bombed Japanese Civilians to get revenge for a Japanese attack on a US Naval base.
It would have been better if they hadn't had the weather for just about every country on the planet every 10 minutes.
Unread 29 Jun 2003, 16:24   #14
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks

You plucked that right off one of Chomsky's books didn't you heh.

PS Have Fox recruited Comical Ali yet or what?
Unread 29 Jun 2003, 19:50   #15
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
Sensationalized Broadcasting

Anyone harboring the likes of Geraldo Rivera is doomed to be poop a pole... but Shepard Smith and Bill O'Reilly more than make the whole network "fair and balanced."*

*JAMMYJIM IS AN ON-LOCATION REPORTER!
Unread 29 Jun 2003, 20:08   #16
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

hahaha

I've just found the BBC's What the World Thinks of America page, and the reply to it by Fox news.
Quote:
From Fox News' article
We're down in the polls when they don't need us. We have a remarkable way of skyrocketing in those polls when they do need us.

No, people around the world don't flip over us. But isn't it amazing when everything hits the fan, how they come to love us?
Am i the only one who sees this as self-important 'we're still better than you' arrogance?

George Bernard Shaw
Unread 29 Jun 2003, 20:15   #17
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: hahaha

Quote:
I've just found the BBC's What the World Thinks of America page, and the reply to it by Fox news.

Am i the only one who sees this as self-important 'we're still better than you' arrogance?

The Americans haven't been "up" in the polls for forty years. The problem with that bizzare national identity some of the more vapid americans assume is that it's based on a total lack of knowledge regarding civilisations. Empires, nations, dictatorships, super-states all rise and fall. In the end people are the only constant. Some imagine their superiority will last forever. Some forget that superiority was never guaranteed on the back of an M-16.
Unread 29 Jun 2003, 20:23   #18
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
WE'RE NUMBER ONE!

WE'RE NUMBER ONE!

WE'RE NUMBER ONE!
Unread 29 Jun 2003, 20:43   #19
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice
Re: hahaha

Quote:
Originally posted by Fox News
Most Americans rail against some arrogant Europeans
Unread 30 Jun 2003, 11:49   #20
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
ITC tackles Fox News bias claims
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jun 2003, 12:51   #21
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Chrism
Fox is absolutely hilarious. Especially it's catchphrase - "fair and balanced"
wonderful circular argument isn't it: we are fair and balanced because we tell you so.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jun 2003, 13:43   #22
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Fox is neither fair nor balanced.

It is the purest form of American Propagandist Entertainment aimed squarly at the lowest common denominator of american existance.

Its futile attempts at serious reporting lead to a drop in viewing figures so why even bother?
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jun 2003, 13:53   #23
huh
WHY DID YOU PUSH GRANDMA

huh is an unknown quantity at this point
Honestly, I think that the BBC programme was rather stupid. People generally will say they hate America without thinking about it. They knew this beforehand.
huh is offline   Reply With Quote