User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 5 Feb 2003, 19:34   #1
Chrism
Governor General

Chrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the rough
I've done it again...

I've got a message posted on the BBC News Talking Point site.

I'm just brilliant.
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 19:42   #2
Nixjim
Commander

Nixjim is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks like I'm the first to say "Congratulations!"

No idea what you said, but who cares, that's not important right now.
Nixjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 19:44   #3
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
i gave up. i dont see a point in writing something if its only posted in 1 of 10 cases :/
wu_trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 19:52   #4
Chrism
Governor General

Chrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the rough
It's on the House of Lords one.

wu, I've managed to get 2 up in very few attempts. As long as you write in decent, well punctuated English and don't talk out of your arse, then you stand a good chance of being published.
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 19:53   #5
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
probably my english is too bad, but noone ever complained here :/
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 19:57   #6
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Wu your English is pretty decent compared to many, many others here and good enough that everyone with an IQ of more than 80 and able to read can understand exactly what you say and mean.

But you don't exactly write like Mark Twain. Nor do I at that, I make spelling and grammar errors now and then.
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 19:59   #7
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: I've done it again...

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrism
I've got a message posted on the BBC News Talking Point site.

I'm just brilliant.
link me you whore
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 20:02   #8
wu_trax

maybe its easier to post on uk-specific topics, because there are fewer people who post there. i never tried that because i usually have no idea at all about that topics
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 20:03   #9
Chrism
Governor General

Re: Re: I've done it again...

Quote:
Originally posted by Nusselt
link me you whore
here you whore
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 20:05   #10
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by wu_trax
probably my english is too bad, but noone ever complained here :/
You english isn't bad, but you don't write like a native either. Perhaps if you found someone you trust to proofread your letters and suggest changes it would boost your chances.
Writing is not easy, I started to write a book once, wrote the first chapter, read it and thought it sounded dumb, so I trashed it and gave up. Someday I plan to try again, when I get a little more free time and practice.
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 20:09   #11
Chrism
Governor General

Wu, your english is better than most Brits, although I think using some capitalisation might help.
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 20:15   #12
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally posted by Nixjim
You english isn't bad, but you don't write like a native either.
yes, sometimes ive got the feeling i use german grammar and english vocabulary or that my sentences sound too complicated, but then, those postings there sometimes dont sound like perfect english neither.

Quote:
Perhaps if you found someone you trust to proofread your letters and suggest changes it would boost your chances.
not worth the effort, ill just share my opinion here

Quote:
Writing is not easy, I started to write a book once, wrote the first chapter, read it and thought it sounded dumb, so I trashed it and gave up. Someday I plan to try again, when I get a little more free time and practice.
no, it certainly isnt. i had to write about 20 pages about services management in english once. it was horrible ( and it cured me from caring about grammar and/or spelling )
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 20:16   #13
wu_trax

Quote:
although I think using some capitalisation might help.
heh, i dont even do that in german
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 20:23   #14
wu_trax

PS on that topic: its no use to have two elected chambers which are dominated by the one or the other party. in that case you can aswell skip one of them completly.
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 20:50   #15
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by wu_trax
yes, sometimes ive got the feeling i use german grammar and english vocabulary or that my sentences sound too complicated, but then, those postings there sometimes dont sound like perfect english neither.

That may be it, your sentence structure gets a little confusing at times, especially when you are etting a bit peeved about something

I can always understand what you are saying though.

not worth the effort, ill just share my opinion here

I understand completely. Who among us can write perfectly anyway? Not me, that's for sure. Half the time no one here really knows what I'm trying to say.

no, it certainly isnt. i had to write about 20 pages about services management in english once. it was horrible ( and it cured me from caring about grammar and/or spelling )

grammar and speeling are not important here, but they are if you want something published.

I normally strive for proper spelling, punctuation and spelling to improve my own writing, most of my mistakes are typos, since I was unable to take typing in school. (I tried, but school politics dictate who gets to study the "optional" classes here) I seldom worry about forming proper paragraphs though, to much trouble.
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 22:39   #16
Tobe
Checkout Boy

Tobe is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: I've done it again...

Quote:
The recent Anti-terrorism, Crime and Security Act and the Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Act contained some of the most frightening threats to our civil liberties since the rise of fascism in the 1930s and 40s, and it was left to the 'undemocratic' Conservative, Liberal Democrat and Crossbench peers to deal with this, while the 'democratically elected' Labour party in the Commons meekly acquiesced to the wishes of the Home Secretary.
Chris Moss, Liverpool, UK

guessing this is it
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 22:48   #17
Christian
Attitude

Christian is infamous around these parts
Good for you then, congrats.
Todd: Truth is like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold. You push it, stretch it, it'll never be enough. Kick at it, beat it, it'll never cover any of us. From the moment we enter crying, to the moment we leave dying, it'll just cover your face as you wail and cry and scream.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote