User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 8 Aug 2003, 14:31   #1
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all
Films and such

After reading Muslims thread on how 'crap' those movies are in his opinion i was wondering what ppl's top10 films of all time are. Would be interesting to see the spread and the similarities/differences between ppl. Especially what Muslim likes....

Anway my top 10 is:

1.Gladiator
2.Forrest Gump
3.The Great Escape
4.Green Mile
5.El Cid
6.American Pie
7.Shawshanks Redemption
8.Braveheart
9.Goldeneye
10.Scarface

I know ppl wont agree with my choices, but not everyone likes exactly the same thing heh...
Ultores
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 14:39   #2
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Well, this has been done to death. Not for a while though, so here goes:

Citizen Kane
Usual Suspects
Shawshank Redemption
Goodfellas
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
Memento
The Big Lebowski
Fight Club
The Matrix

Not necessarily in that order. The first three are equally my favourites, the rest I have no real preference, one over the other, expect for The Matrix, which is defintely at the bottom of the list.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 14:44   #3
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally posted by ChubbyChecker
Well, this has been done to death. Not for a while though, so here goes:
didnt know, dont usually read GD
Ultores
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 14:47   #4
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Colt
didnt know, dont usually read GD
Actually, it used to be done on pretty much a weekly basis. But not for about a year, maybe more, so I'll let you off
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 14:48   #5
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
i havent got a top 10, but my top 2 are usual suspects and shawshank redemption
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 14:50   #6
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

Withnail and I
Rear Window
Dr Strangelove
Hamlet (Brannagh Version)
The Big Lebowski
LA Confidential
Strangers on a Train
Shawshank Redemption
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Seven Samurai
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 14:56   #7
BarbieKen

• Shawshank Redemtion
  • Usual Suspects
  • Seven
  • Braveheart
  • StormRiders
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 14:57   #8
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Reservoir Dogs
Donnie Darko
Goodfellas
Pulp Fiction
Full Metal Jacket
Memento
Fight Club
The Shawshank Redemption
American Beauty
LA Confidential

In no particular order.

Also, what was 'and such' about?
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 14:57   #9
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
The Matrix
Empire Strikes Back
Memento
Green Mile
Fight Club
Dogma
Resevoir Dogs
Live and Let Die
American Pie 1
Shawshank Redemption
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 15:00   #10
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Battle Royale
Donnie Darko
Pulp Fiction
The Usual Suspects
Fight Club
Memento
The Shawshank Redemption
Leon
American Beauty
Resevoir Dogs
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 15:03   #11
Torz
Up yours

Torz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud of
Braveheart
Topgun
Forest Gump
The Godfather
Van Wilder
Die Hard
Heat
Face Off
Donnie Brasco
Menace to Society
Torz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 15:07   #12
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
Withnail and I
Rear Window
Dr Strangelove
Hamlet (Brannagh Version)
The Big Lebowski
LA Confidential
Strangers on a Train
Shawshank Redemption
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Seven Samurai
P.S, these are just my favourite films, not the ones I think are the most artistically accomplished or whatever.
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 15:07   #13
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Some Like it Hot
fifth element
UHF
Seven
Fight Club
Good/Bad/Ugly
Comedy "Attack of the Clones" option
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 15:19   #14
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
I never are albe to compile my favorites, neiteher music-wise, movie-wise or anything else wise. But, here's my the best movies i've seen lately (in no particular order)

Berserk (Ok, it's a series, shoot me)
Shinjuku Triad Society (random violence ahoy)
Nosferatu (The 1979 version)
Reservior Dogs
Style Wars
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

Are the good films i've seen lately.
:/
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 15:26   #15
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
The Matrix
Pulp Fiction
House On Haunted Hill (1999)
Romeo & Juliet (Baz Luhrmann version)
Anger Management
The Fifth Element
The Jewel
Fight Club
Lexx
Snatch

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 15:27   #16
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by djbass
House On Haunted Hil
Which one?
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 15:30   #17
zek132

zek132 is an unknown quantity at this point
Gina Wild 1
Gina Wild 2
Gina Wild 3
Gina Wild 4
Gina Wild 5
Gina Wild 6

Take that!
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 15:32   #18
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
Which one?
Updated.

I actually own both, the original is good for a laugh sometimes.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 16:07   #19
mens
Sheep

mens is an unknown quantity at this point
in no particular order from the top of my head:

the godfather 1 & 2
the shawshank redemption
seven
crouching tiger hidden dragon
forest gump
platoon
the player
american beauty
the pianist
american history x
mens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 18:18   #20
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice
Gatacca
Memento
Monty python and the holy grail
Shawshank redemption
Life of brian
Terminator trilogy
Star wars trilogy
Fight club
Die Hard trilogy
Goldeneye

Why has no-one else mentioned monty python?

Last edited by Cmdr_Cyrax; 10 Aug 2003 at 23:43.
Cmdr_Cyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 19:01   #21
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
In no particular order

Gladiator
Star Wars Trillogy
Donnie Darko
Forrest Gump
Fifth Element
U-571
Green Mile
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the ring
Enemy at the Gates
X-men 2

10 already?

I'm sure that this list doesn't reflect my favourite movies, but these are the ones that sprung to mind and I really like.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 20:11   #22
Lord Talon

Lord Talon is an unknown quantity at this point
Porky's - saw it as a 15 year old in the theater with some friends - I don't think I've ever laughed as hard as I did for the scene in the principal's office where they are discussing with Buela how they might "identify" the student who put himself through a hole in the girls shower area

Dune
Star Wars
Terminator
The Natural
Lord of the Rings
Hollywood Knights (cars & chicks)
Pink Panther movies w/ Peter Sellers
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Highlander
Lord Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 20:17   #23
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
It's a Wonderful Life
Annie Hall
Leon
The Matrix
Crimes and Misdamenours
Salt of the Earth
Fight Club
The Usual Suspects
Seven Samurai
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

(in no particular order)
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 20:35   #24
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
No clerks? :p
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 20:37   #25
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
No clerks?
Shamefully, I forgot about Clerks. :/

Yes, Clerks should definitely be there, probably in place of Fight Club. It's one of the few films I can watch repeatedly without tiring.

Last edited by Dante Hicks; 8 Aug 2003 at 20:46.
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 20:43   #26
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
hey i was JUSt going to make a thread about this and saw this here so decided not to

I don't have a top 10 but i was just discussing my top 5 and they are:

1. American Beauty
2. Fight Club
3. Donnie Darko
4. Shawshank Redemption
5. Good Will Hunting

The top 3 however completely outclass 4 and 5, i really like those types of film where basically the entire film is made to make a point which you don't get by just watching the film alone (it took me all of last night to just figure out Donnie Darko's plot)
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 20:49   #27
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Metropolis
Solaris
Blade Runner
Cube
Cube 2
A Beautiful Mind
Pi
Freddy Got Fingered
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 20:53   #28
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Cube 2 is good? My flatmate downloaded it, I presumed it would be ****...

Pi is cool.
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 20:56   #29
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Nah it sucks. Couldn't think of anything else.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 21:10   #30
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
01) Donnie Darko
02) Chasing Amy
03) Shawshank Redemption
04) The Usual Suspects
05) Breakfast Club
06) The Silence Of The Lambs
07) Pulp Fiction
08) Se7en
09) Wall Street
10) Clerks

@Torz: You are Kidding right about Van Wilder. People have commented about American Pie being in peoples top 10 but Van Wilder make sthis look like a masterpeice

as for Structural Integrity how could you put U-571 in your list. The movie is rubbish and is made worse by the Pro Americain Stance. The Capture of the enigma machine was probally one of the most important events of the war and it was achieved first by the Brits. This movie decided to make out it was the Yanks that got it first and that they single handedly won the war and has probally now led to a whole generation of youngsters who believe it was a true story. In reality the yanks didnt get their hands on one until 1945 while britain had obtained and cracked the code by 1941 . Why when Hollywood insist on making movies based around historical events cant they get the facts right. Oh and Mel Gibson isnt much better with his butchering of Scottish history in Braveheart.
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 21:23   #31
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by wakey
as for Structural Integrity how could you put U-571 in your list. The movie is rubbish and is made worse by the Pro Americain Stance. The Capture of the enigma machine was probally one of the most important events of the war and it was achieved first by the Brits. This movie decided to make out it was the Yanks that got it first and that they single handedly won the war and has probally now led to a whole generation of youngsters who believe it was a true story. In reality the yanks didnt get their hands on one until 1945 while britain had obtained and cracked the code by 1941 . Why when Hollywood insist on making movies based around historical events cant they get the facts right. Oh and Mel Gibson isnt much better with his butchering of Scottish history in Braveheart.
oooh... I didn't like U-571 for it's historical correctness (and never saw the story as historical correct), I just liked the story and how it was told, and I'm particulary fond of submarines.

Oh... and now you mention BraveHeart... I liked that one too. Again, I don't care if it's complete bollocks (hence, I don't know any of that part of history), I liked the story and how it's filmed.

I even liked Waterworld for a particular reason. The same reason why I liked these movies
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 22:22   #32
*donkie*
Affectionate Nickname

*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light
in no particular order.....

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Baralls
Goldeneye
Freddy Got Fingered
The Silence Of The Lambs
The Usual Suspects
The Matrix
Green Mile
The Fifth Element
Austin Powers (1 + 2 .. 3 was lacking ffs)
Muffy The Vampire Layer (yes, its real, and i have it )
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 22:27   #33
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by queball
Pi
Freddy Got Fingered
Those two sit so well next to eachother.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 23:07   #34
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by *donkie*

Muffy The Vampire Layer (yes, its real, and i have it )
is that the lesbian one? or an I thinking of the erotic witch project?

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 23:11   #35
*donkie*
Affectionate Nickname

*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light
it has a range of scenes... but yus, mainly girliez onleh
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 01:49   #36
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Amelie
Amores Perros
Das Boot
Lola Rennt!
Todo Sobre Mi Madre

There's more to film than Hollywood.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 02:04   #37
Shakky
Divine

Shakky is an unknown quantity at this point
Reservoir Dogs
Goodfellas
Pulp Fiction
LA Confidential
The GodFather
Lock Stock......
Leon
American Pie
The Usual Suspects
Goldeneye
Live and let die

Nosferatu
Silver
Elysium
RaH
Eclipse
Shakky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 08:31   #38
Monkehpimp
'Useless'

Monkehpimp is an unknown quantity at this point
Stickmen (I don't think this ever made it out of NZ, but it was a great film)
Shawshank Redemption
Forest Gump
Reservoir Dogs
Scarfies (same as stickmen)
braveheart

hot shots (both)
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 09:56   #39
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute
In no particular order:

Forest Gump
American History X
Terminator 2
Star Wars 3
Titanic ()
Shawshank Redemption
Green Mile
Matrix 1
'The tarantino collection' :P

edit: Goldeneye\DasBoot\ every Larry Clark film added in for wikkidness.

Might be more, but these films are great.

Last edited by isildurx; 9 Aug 2003 at 13:43.
isildurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 10:36   #40
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
Hmm... i don't have a top 10, but my favourite films include (in no particular order):

Das Boot (favourite foreign film, just a damn good film too)
Terminator 2 (favourite of the series, one of my favourite action films)
The Matrix (another favourite action film)
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (favourite star wars film)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (A simple classic)
Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (The perfect mix of comedy and violence)
Goldeneye (Favourite bond film)
Dune (Great, but strange)
Casablanca (Classic... well, i enjoyed it)
The Last Castle (Good film, even though it ends all 'patriotic American')

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by Mushroom; 9 Aug 2003 at 10:42.
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2003, 15:23   #41
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
There's more to film than Hollywood.

M.
Neither The Jewel or Lexx that I had on my list were typical hollywood productions.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 10 Aug 2003, 17:38   #42
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Toccata & Fugue
If you're going to try and make a "I watch foreign films" point then please watch some foreign films.
Erm. I was doing The Top 5 Non-Hollywood Films I've Seen.

What I wasn't doing was Listing Many Good Non-Hollywood Films I've Seen.

I just saw The Princess & The Warrior again, but I didn't need to include that. Nor Million Dollar Hotel. I could include Heart - even though it's in English. No, I was writing my top 5 non-hollywood films.

Your point is poorly made.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2003, 21:23   #43
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute
I just watched Reservoir Dogs, and i cant really understand why every1 thinks its so good =\
Unread 10 Aug 2003, 21:28   #44
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
Erm. I was doing The Top 5 Non-Hollywood Films I've Seen
I think the point was that most people (include the original poster) had a top 10. By only doing 5 films, it detracted from your (perfectly valid) point that there are great foriegn films.

Amores Perros did rock rather incely tho.
Unread 11 Aug 2003, 17:50   #45
Deb
sexy

Deb is an unknown quantity at this point
In no particular order:

Donny Darko
American History X
Fight Club
The Usual Suspects
The Godfather
Pulp Fiction
Gladiator
The Matrix Reloaded
The Shawshank Redemption
Seven
Unread 11 Aug 2003, 19:08   #46
Muslim
Banned

Muslim is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Toccata & Fugue
Le Haine
Bladerunner
Leon
Fight Club
Three Colours Red
Run Lola Run
Starwars: The Empire Strikes Back
Memento
The Usual Suspects
Laputa

In order.

I'm glad to see that looking down the list most people's choices are acceptable, although there are a few odd choices:

American Pie? eh, when where why? Even on the goofy comedy stakes, you have Animal House and Dumb and Dumber, what about Ghostbusters or Caddyshack, and you chose American pie in your TOP 10!!! sigh.
ive seen all these movies!
LA HAINE IS THA ACE MOVIE
I repeat
La Haine rocks tha house
its a story about a society that its falling, but in order to keep it calm, it repeats "so far, so good, so far, so good"
Muslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 16:18   #47
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Some people here are fairly illiterate film-wise.
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 21:43   #48
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future
The Godfather
Bella Mafia
The Untouchables
Boondock Saints
Once Upon A Time In The West
The Matrix
Pulp Fiction
The Silence Of The Lambs
Se7en
Schindlers List

(In no particular order)
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 22:06   #49
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Here's 10 favorites I could watch anytime, not necessarily my "all time" list:

American Beauty
American History X
Braveheart
Cheech & Chong's Up In Smoke
Dogma
Dr Strangelove
Platoon
Rounders
Star Trek II
The Shawshank Redemption

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 22:21   #50
RealJames
Retired at the top

RealJames is infamous around these parts
Something interesting I've noticed is that where someone has specified a particular Star Wars film (ie not just saying the trilogy) it always seems to be The Empire Strikes Back. I dunno quite why, but it's certainly my favourite. Two elements spring to mind, first of all is the cool opening battle on Hoth 6, and the second is that unlike the other two it doesn't have a happy ending. The first was originally made as a stand-alone film, and the third was the 'ending', so both had to end well, but TESP wasn't, so it didn't, which appealed to me for some reason.

Anyway, enough ranting, films.. I don't have a specific top 10, but I have some I really like.
Star Wars Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back (naturally)
Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (I own the director's cut)
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (as per my siggy)
Slap Shot (I really need to find a copy of this film somewhere)
Gone In Sixty Seconds (the last half hour at least)

Umm.. I'm sure I'll think of more later, so I'll prolly append my post.

"That's what the internet's for - slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards, J&SBSB
RealJames is offline   Reply With Quote