User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 21 Dec 2003, 17:40   #1
Bu||seye
Carebear

Bu||seye is an unknown quantity at this point
'Administrator' account in WinXP Home

I've tried times and times to get the 'Administrator' account onto the login page (where all the users are listed) but it doesn't work; it's only shown when I start in safe-mode.
However, in safe-mode, I don't have all the access/possibilites I usually have and for some things, I need to login as administrator.
Another weird thing: even though my user account is set to admin right level, I sometimes get the popup that I'd need administrator rights to do this or that (usually happens when I install programs) and that the component might not work as expected...

Anyone able to help me bring the Administrator onto the login screen?
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 18:01   #2
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Re: 'Administrator' account in WinXP Home

I'm guessing that you've reverted WinXP to the Win2k style of logging in, rather than the WinXP style of click on the name icon?
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 18:03   #3
Bu||seye
Carebear

Nope, it's click-on-the-name for login.
[Edit] Couldn't find where to change the login to Win2K style. If I knew how to do that, the whole thing wouldn't be the problem, I'd just enter 'Administrator' and the respective password, right?! ; )

Last edited by Bu||seye; 21 Dec 2003 at 18:16.
Bu||seye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 21:03   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

To show admin on the welcome screen: http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1165/

To revert to W2K style login:
Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Change the way users log on and off
Untick "Use the Welcome screen"
NOTE: multi-user support (such as it is) is now disabled, so you can only have one person logged on at a time. This is probably not a problem unless it's a shared computer.

Unread 21 Dec 2003, 23:39   #5
Bu||seye
Carebear

Solved. Thanks.

[Edit] Next problem: For some reason, I still can't login to the admin account. It keeps saying that "due to an account restriction" I'd not be allowed to login. WTF??
Unread 22 Dec 2003, 01:29   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

This probably means "Microsoft has decided you are too dumb to log in to the admin account".
I can do it, but that's probably because I'm on XP Pro.

I'm guessing you can log into it when you're in safe mode yes?
How about if you switch to Win2K style logins?
Unread 22 Dec 2003, 10:41   #7
Bu||seye
Carebear

I switched to Win2K style already, it doesn't let me. And yes, I can login as admin in safe-mode...
Unread 22 Dec 2003, 10:45   #8
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

totally bizarre how you ended in that situation, I'm using WinXP Home myself, the main admin account (the original one) is accessible, when I go into safe mode though, there is an "administrator" account, no idea why it would be different to an admin account while not using safe mode.

Last edited by Luckeh!!!!; 22 Dec 2003 at 11:16.
Unread 22 Dec 2003, 17:00   #9
Bu||seye
Carebear

My user account is set to admin level, so that's where the weirdness really starts already (with those earlier mentionned popups regarding need of admin rights etc). I should have all the admin priviledges with my account, but for some reason, a small hand full of things can't be accessed.
In safe-mode, there's an account named "Administrator", and that's the account I've been trying to login to in normal ("un-safe") mode, to no success. However, in safe-mode I'm restricted too, since it's safe-mode, so -> FS!
I hate M$. Time to get my Linux running... *sigh*
Unread 23 Dec 2003, 11:09   #10
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

in safe mode, the administrator account is seperate from normal mode, the account that you created initially should have all access rights, that is what i think anyway.. :|