User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 12 Sep 2003, 00:00   #1
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Athlon XP CPU Fans / Heatsinks

Is there many more nerve wracking things than getting one of these on? You have to absolutely _power_ the second side down with some sort of tool, risking it going flying / mauling half your board. I have a small scratch on mine, i hope it isnt going to **** the motherboard entirely. It took me about an hour and a half of trying to find the best way / the courage to get the ****ing thing on my CPU.

Anyway, im curious. Even with a blank HD etc, shouldnt i still get at least a bios screen when i boot up with everything in? I did, but nothing. Im getting paranoid now. Gonna give it a go with my XP disk.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 00:09   #2
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
you normally would get a boot with the bios and then maybe a "No Operating System Installed" message or something...

but y'never know
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 00:10   #3
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light
It certainly should do something.

I dont recall what though. I always left that part to ther people as being boring. I liked plugging all the bits in.

And playing with them afterwards ofc.
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 10:35   #4
Yeggstry
Connection Established...

Yeggstry has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I had the same problem getting my heatsink on/off with the first heatsink I had. Used a screwdriver to force it in, but was very reluctant to push it very hard as the board was creaking a lot and I thought that it was going to break any second......

...so I bought a Zalman Flower Heatsink, its not as cool now, but it was a LOT easier to install and came with a special tool to put it in place.
R5 - 36:10:16 (Armada)
R6 - 32:16:13 (ViruS)
R7 - 26:3:14 (Infection LT/ViruS TO) (#364 planet, #34 gal)
R8 - 4:3:1 then 3:8:4 (ViruS TO)
R9 - 47:10:5 (ViruS Gaming Community (VGC) Tech Op)
R9.5 - 23:6:4 (VGC Tech Op) (#462 planet)
R10 - 5:2:3 then 5:3:1 (ViruS/Eclipse, #419 planet), Portal Coder
R11 - retired from PA
Yeggstry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 10:39   #5
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
I'm sure there's a proper board for this you know.
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 10:42   #6
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Belgarath The Sorcerer
I'm sure there's a proper board for this you know.
Yes, but it shouldnt exist. Segregation got stupid here

anyway, i highly suspect the boards ****ed. Ive emailed zyaan

Unread 12 Sep 2003, 10:43   #7
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Yeggstry

...so I bought a Zalman Flower Heatsink, its not as cool now, but it was a LOT easier to install and came with a special tool to put it in place.
The Zalman Flower is great!
Though I have the full copper one and its weight is 50% above AMD's max specs. So each time I move/transport my PC I have to be very carefull else I can find my pretty Zalman on the bottom of my case, including the entire socket and processor.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 10:52   #8
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
Re: Athlon XP CPU Fans / Heatsinks

Quote:
Originally posted by Deffeh
Is there many more nerve wracking things than getting one of these on?
Admittedly the first time is exhilarating, but it's really not all that difficult.

Quote:
Anyway, im curious. Even with a blank HD etc, shouldnt i still get at least a bios screen when i boot up with everything in? I did, but nothing. Im getting paranoid now. Gonna give it a go with my XP disk.
Yes you should at least get to the bios POST, if everything is in correctly that is. Check that you have seated the cpu correctly, check that the heatsink is attached correctly. Check that the ram is seated correctly. Check you have the motherboard seated properly on the risers, and that they are all screwed into motherboard pan properly, you could have a short circuit somewhere that's stopping it from powering up. I know this is an insulting question, but, you have plugged it in haven't you? Make sure you've got the power pack properly plugged into the motherboard.

If after all this and other people's suggestions, and it still don't work, then I suggest that you get someone you know IRL who know's about computers to look at it.
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 11:24   #9
Yeggstry

Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
The Zalman Flower is great!
Though I have the full copper one and its weight is 50% above AMD's max specs. So each time I move/transport my PC I have to be very carefull else I can find my pretty Zalman on the bottom of my case, including the entire socket and processor.
Thanks, I didn't realise that could happen...

I'll be a lot more carfeul when I'm taking it to uni next Sunday
R11 - retired from PA
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 11:30   #10
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Re: Re: Athlon XP CPU Fans / Heatsinks

Quote:
Originally posted by Belgarath The Sorcerer
Admittedly the first time is exhilarating, but it's really not all that difficult.

Yes you should at least get to the bios POST, if everything is in correctly that is. Check that you have seated the cpu correctly, check that the heatsink is attached correctly. Check that the ram is seated correctly. Check you have the motherboard seated properly on the risers, and that they are all screwed into motherboard pan properly, you could have a short circuit somewhere that's stopping it from powering up. I know this is an insulting question, but, you have plugged it in haven't you? Make sure you've got the power pack properly plugged into the motherboard.

If after all this and other people's suggestions, and it still don't work, then I suggest that you get someone you know IRL who know's about computers to look at it.
I dont find it insulting, it could very well have been something rather simple. However, ive gone through the checklist systematically with no luck as of yet. My initial thought was the board's ****ed, as this is what happened when i built this PC.

Im currently corresponding via email with Zyaan, whom i bought it from. My phone just rang, and no one picked it up (i bolted for it, but by the time id got out of my pc, down the ladders, down the stairs, it had rung out. It could very well have been them as well, number withheld.

Bollocks, this isnt what i needed at all I leave for Stirling, tommorow. This was meant to be the thing that would keep me sane though it. I may have no choice but to take this PC now, in all its glorius ****ness.

Unread 12 Sep 2003, 11:36   #11
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
i wouldnt worry if u 'hit' the mobo with the screwdriver.

i did the same thing. the heatsink was a complete and utter bastard to fit over the cpu. However upon first boot the wonderful woman who lives inside my computer announced that 'System Check completed..booting from operating system' and then announced there was no operating system.

it should go show memory check. hdd check etc. If it doesnt then you either have damaged the mobo with the screwdriver OR you didnt earth yourself properly and the static buildup has fried it.

either way. this is moving to another forum.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 11:57   #12
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Yeggstry
Thanks, I didn't realise that could happen...

I'll be a lot more carfeul when I'm taking it to uni next Sunday
Transport it on it's side, so that the heatsink rests ON the mobo. That way there is no stress on the socket when you are going over bumps.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 12:02   #13
Yeggstry

Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
Transport it on it's side, so that the heatsink rests ON the mobo. That way there is no stress on the socket when you are going over bumps.
Thanks for the advice
R11 - retired from PA
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 15:09   #14
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Transporting like that is also kinder to your harddrives.
If they're on their side then instead of bumps making the drive heads vibrate up and down and risking contact with the platters (which is a VEEERRRRRRY bad thing to happen) it just tries to make them swing side to side instead which doesn't matter since the stepping motor is locked when the drive shuts down.

Having said that, many of the newer harddrives, especially at the higher end, are rated to some stupidly high ammount of Gs of shock (when not operating) which is more or less equivilant to dropping them out of a first story window, so you should be ok.
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 15:49   #15
Cicada
p a r r a c i d a

Cicada is an unknown quantity at this point
some mobos have the bios reset jumper switched to on when you first get them, so you can't power them up till you've changed the jumper..

if thats any help..