User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 21 Dec 2004, 15:57   #1
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
6600GT or 6800LE

My system currently:

AMD AthlonXP 2100+
512meg PC2700 RAM (clocked down to run at 266 because its slightly faster instead of 333)
120gigs of space.
various other thingsl ike dvd writer and cd drive etc.

oh it also has a floppy disc!

right
ive been reading about on various other forums and there seems to be no clear 'winner' on this. Which is the better card? the 6600GT or the 6800LE

ive heard you can use riva tuner on most of the LE cards to unlock it to become a 'fully fledged 6800' by unlocking some of the pipes (i have no clue what this all means but it sounds funky)

however it doesnt awlays work and i dont really want to gamble.

So which is 'the better card' performance wise. Bear in mind i want to be able to install Hl2 and crank everything upto the absolute maximum and still sit there laughing as it churns out 3million frames per second.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2004, 16:04   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: 6600GT or 6800LE

LE cards are generally toss.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 24 Dec 2004, 14:11   #3
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

from what I can see on reviews, they are about on par with each other, some benches they beat each other but only by a few frames however I did compare them from different reviews so that might be affected by driver versions or testbed since I can not find any review that has them side by side, both cards are good though, I would choose the 6800LE only because it might soft mod to something faster.

Also, you might be disappointed with the results, that AXP2100+ is far too slow for the card
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2004, 12:41   #4
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

yes i want to upgrade that next to AXP3000+ or whatever i can slot into a socket A @ 333mhz....

the asus board wont go faster i dont think.

i got the 6600GT. a galaxy one which has been marginally overclocked from 500mhz and 1000mhz to 525 and 1050.

however when i did an 'auto detect' how fast it can go...the overclock utitlity said 555mhz and 1200mhz or something silly....
Unread 27 Dec 2004, 17:05   #5
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
yes i want to upgrade that next to AXP3000+ or whatever i can slot into a socket A @ 333mhz....
the best i can find for that is a 2800xp, and those are getting scarce now.

70 quid from scan iirc.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 27 Dec 2004, 20:12   #6
JammyJim
Godfather

AMD Athlon "Barton" XP3000+ 333FSB (Socket A) CPU - OEM (CP-043-AM)
A new generation of AMD CPUs the AMD Athlon "Barton" XP3000+ features a total 640KB of full-speed cache memory - 128K L1 cache (64K instruction and 64K data) and 512K of L2 cache. Increased cache memory allows more information to be stored closer to the processor, leading to greater performance on software applications such as digital content creation, 3-D gaming, media encoding and office productivity. Featuring QuantiSpeed™ Architecture for Rapid Execution of Applications.

By purchasing this CPU you agree to the AMD Warranty Guidelines.
If you are installing a new CPU with a new heatsink you must follow the AMD installation guidelines
If you are installing a new CPU with a previously used heatsink, you must contact support first with make and model of the heatsink.

Full Specification

Price: £69.95 (£82.19 Including VAT at 17.5%)

Overclockers
Unread 28 Dec 2004, 12:50   #7
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

personally I'd get this, only problem I don't know what motherboard you have, KT333 might not be very compatible, I have this running on my NF2, running 2.4GHz speed without any problem. Almost all are guaranteed to run at least 2.2GHz (AXP3200+ speed)
Unread 28 Dec 2004, 13:22   #8
JammyJim
Godfather

Asus a7n8x deluxe
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 05:17   #9
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
Asus a7n8x deluxe
that board should be compatible with that chip i just posted.
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 14:06   #10
JammyJim
Godfather

the board now supports 400mhz FSB which is nice. i flashed the bios to the latest version meaning i can put pretty much whatever i want in it...

as long as its socket A...which means Sempron or XP.