User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 8 Jan 2003, 11:03   #1
Ðiscorporation

A question regarding webpages (help meh?)

Good morning, tech people!

I want to build a small page.
In that page, I'll have a table spanning the full page. one row will be smaller then the other, and will serve as a place to put links.
When one of those links is clicked, I want the information needed imported from a .txt or .htm file (different files for different links).
Essentially, this would work the same as a frame-page. Since I hate frames, this seemed to me as an acceptable alternative.

The only problem is, I know Fk all about building pages beyond HTML.. Thats why I turn to you.

Could you help me out? How should I go about this?
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 11:08   #2
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
I guess the easiest way will be to use seperate pages for each link, rather than importing them. If you want to be fancy, you can use "includes", I use PHP for this sort of thing.

To be honest, frames are quite safe these days - browsers handle them fine.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 11:11   #3
Mong
Forever Delayed

This is in the wrong forum btw!

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 11:18   #4
Ðiscorporation

It's help needed, this is tech help, right?

:'(

How do I make the browser understand that I want a certain page to be loaded in a specific part of the table?
(I need to use tables. It's torture, true, but I want to know how it works)
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 11:22   #5
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
To be honest, frames are quite safe these days - browsers handle them fine.
As long you use the exact same resolution as the original designer, otherwise they suck big time. Me and my tiny little 15" monitor do NOT work in 1024x768 or higher so frame driven pages designed for those resolutions seriously suck

Disco: My initial thought is to use PHP includes.
Code:
if ($condition)
{
    include $file;
} else
{
    include $other;
}
Set the URL to mimic a method='get' form and then you can do an if/elseif to work out which file to include
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 11:41   #6
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
As long you use the exact same resolution as the original designer, otherwise they suck big time. Me and my tiny little 15" monitor do NOT work in 1024x768 or higher so frame driven pages designed for those resolutions seriously suck

Disco: My initial thought is to use PHP includes.
Code:
if ($condition)
{
    include $file;
} else
{
    include $other;
}
Set the URL to mimic a method='get' form and then you can do an if/elseif to work out which file to include
I'm afraid my knowledge of coding is rather limited. I am the one who managed to crash his pc whilst trying to make a 'hello world' script run...
Could I mail you (if you don't mind)?
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 11:48   #7
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by ÐiSCoRPoRaTioN
I'm afraid my knowledge of coding is rather limited. I am the one who managed to crash his pc whilst trying to make a 'hello world' script run...
Could I mail you (if you don't mind)?
Sorry, I'm at work

It's fairly simple though, the first question to answer is does your webserver have PHP running? Because if it doesn't there's no point even going into it.

If you do have PHP the code is so ridiculously easy (in theory...I've never tried doing this but it seems logical) that I could (probably) write an example for you in a couple of minutes.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 11:48   #8
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
Sorry, I'm at work

It's fairly simple though, the first question to answer is does your webserver have PHP running? Because if it doesn't there's no point even going into it.

If you do have PHP the code is so ridiculously easy (in theory...I've never tried doing this but it seems logical) that I could (probably) write an example for you in a couple of minutes.
Again with the tech talk [lol]
I'll give you a pm
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 12:41   #9
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by ÐiSCoRPoRaTioN
Again with the tech talk [lol]
I'll give you a pm
PM answered, but for everyone else's reference I've checked my method and it works.

<a href="http://www.insertyourdomain.com/process.php?file=file1">Press me</a>

will simulate a form result using get, you can then use the variable $file in PHP \o/

Unfortunately as you don't have PHP hosting this doesn't help you so I'll let someone else come up with another solution using those icky script languages
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 17:21   #10
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
xssi

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/ssi.html

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 13:01   #11
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
800x600 is still standard, you should create the site in that. I know most of you will have 1024x768 and higher but most still use 800x600

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 00:46   #12
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Inline frames are the answer. They give you the functionality of frames without actually being frames as such. And you don't need any special support such as PHP, and there's no need to go scripting, as it's just plain basic html.

Read up on how to use iframes here.
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 01:21   #13
Mong
Forever Delayed

IFrames are indeed damnably usefull! However they require a fairly new browser, and (until very recently) NE and IE still didn't handle them exactly the same.

Same with the whole layer concept... IE and NS needed different code! THEN there's Opera too...

/me mutters about standards compliancy making his job difficult...

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

Unread 13 Jan 2003, 15:10   #14
Ðiscorporation

[bows]

thanks