User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 Mar 2004, 20:51   #1
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
@ Has To Be The Most Useless Shorthand Ever

seriously. When people write on paper, do they really save any time by putting a circly thing around their a instead of putting a t after it? And when you are typing, how much time do you save by holding down shift before pressing 2 versus typing 'a' and then 't'?

The real point of this thread is that I'm now opening threads in a new window. That's not cool
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2004, 20:55   #2
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: @ Has To Be The Most Useless Shorthand Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolis
The real point of this thread is that I'm now opening threads in a new window. That's not cool
That happened to me earlier. I was majorly freaked out :eek:.

I closed the windows, opened a new one, and it was fine .

Last edited by JC; 16 Mar 2004 at 21:00.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2004, 20:58   #3
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

This thread is the most useless thread ever. @ is short hand for about. Not at.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2004, 20:58   #4
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

I think it happens when you open a link that had as target a certain named frame in a new window, and then browse to pirate and start opening threads. That's what I understood of it when it happened to me.

But @ is indeed a stupid thing to use in common day writing/typing.
Unread 16 Mar 2004, 20:58   #5
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
That happened to me earlier. I was majorly freaker out :eek:.

I closed the windows, opened a new one, and it was fine .
I thought it was just me....
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2004, 20:59   #6
Intrepid00

I kept pounding my shift key. I thought it was stuck.
Unread 16 Mar 2004, 21:01   #7
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid00
@ is short hand for about. Not at.
WTF?*

*short hand for what the ****?
Unread 16 Mar 2004, 21:14   #8
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
I thought it was just me....
Unread 16 Mar 2004, 21:19   #9
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

Quote:
much time do you save by holding down shift before pressing 2 versus typing 'a' and then 't'?
stupid yank keyboards

its shift + '
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2004, 21:28   #10
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid00
This thread is the most useless thread ever. @ is short hand for about. Not at.
if you're right then apparently this thread wasn't useless, now was it?

i wasn't actually sure about that, and i tried to google @ but i was unable to do so.

i reopened the forums too and now it works. figured as much, once i noticed that the new windows that open didn't open new windows when i clicked on threads in them.
Unread 16 Mar 2004, 21:50   #11
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

I think he's talking bollocks.
http://www.giussani.com/articles/art...11_atsign.html
Unread 16 Mar 2004, 22:06   #12
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Is this the cool place to be @?
Unread 16 Mar 2004, 22:18   #13
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

'
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2004, 22:24   #14
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

And in Spain, the @ sign is increasingly used among youngsters as a politically correct way of avoiding specifying gender, as in: "Hola, amig@s!"
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2004, 22:26   #15
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

amigas are fun
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2004, 22:28   #16
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embroglio
amigas are fun
I had an amiga 500+ - it was
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2004, 22:47   #17
Intrepid00

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
Explain manual Typerwriters?
Unread 16 Mar 2004, 23:04   #18
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

I think that page explains quite well why it was present on keyboards before email was invented.
Muppet.
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 02:25   #19
Intrepid00

According to the site it has no clear orgin.
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 07:20   #20
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

@ stands for about?

zlateralus about hotmail.com

or

zlateralus at hotmail.com

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Qdeathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 10:32   #21
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdeathstar
@ stands for about?

zlateralus about hotmail.com

or

zlateralus at hotmail.com
He was wrong, but that doesn't mean your argument is valid.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 10:51   #22
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
And when you are typing, how much time do you save by holding down shift before pressing 2 versus typing 'a' and then 't'?
Quite a lot over the course of millions of key presses.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 13:30   #23
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I hate all shorthand with a passion, so I agree.

I can type a regular, well punctuated, spelling-endowed sentence faster than some ass with their "we dnt uz vowls much". In fact, I have to THINK about what I'm doing to write that crap.
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 13:33   #24
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
I hate all shorthand with a passion, so I agree.

I can type a regular, well punctuated, spelling-endowed sentence faster than some ass with their "we dnt uz vowls much". In fact, I have to THINK about what I'm doing to write that crap.
That's more an argument about you not being very good at something you're not very good at.
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 16:18   #25
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

I have to try very hard to even make any spelling mistakes in my typing... in Dutch that is... When typing English I just drivel a bit and hope it comes across.
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 16:21   #26
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
That's more an argument about you not being very good at something you're not very good at.
YOU'RE not very good at being ... good!

Aw crap.
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 16:25   #27
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
noting that t&a are two of the more accesible keys on the keyboard and shift and 2 are both out of the way, I'd hazard it takes more time for an @ then an 'at'.
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 22:19   #28
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_Jakiri

He was wrong, but that doesnt make your arguement valid
Well, despite the fact that it was empirical evidence... IT WASNT AN ARGUEMENT, IT WAS AN OBSERVATION, dumbo.

:-/.

Unread 17 Mar 2004, 22:22   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdeathstar
Well, despite the fact that it was empirical evidence... IT WASNT AN ARGUEMENT, IT WAS AN OBSERVATION, dumbo.

:-/.
Can I keep him mommy? Can I? Can I? Can I?
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 22:25   #30
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Can I keep him mommy? Can I? Can I? Can I?
depends on how much your willing to pay. Down boy.

Unread 17 Mar 2004, 22:51   #31
KraKto$is8
Lurker

KraKto$is8 is infamous around these parts

@ is called "at" in English. And Arabic. But some languages give it a different name.

http://home.bluemarble.net/~langmin/...ures/@name.htm
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 22:53   #32
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

I'm not seeing any references to it meaning "about" mr Intrepmuppetid00
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 23:50   #33
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

the etymology is unclear therefore the definition is too!
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Mar 2004, 03:54   #34
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Dude. Bread. Exactly.

Unread 18 Mar 2004, 04:00   #35
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Yeah. Also, consider spaces: "a at b" == "a@b", reducing keypresses by a factor of 4.
Unread 18 Mar 2004, 09:17   #36
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

the_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud of

Quote:
noting that t&a are two of the more accesible keys on the keyboard and shift and 2 are both out of the way, I'd hazard it takes more time for an @ then an 'at'.
only on your stupid american keyboards, here the @ is above and just to the left of the right shift key, making it FAR easier to use than 'a t' or 'shift 2'
Unread 18 Mar 2004, 13:53   #37
Tomkat

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

It looks quite cool in a big line like that.
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 12:04   #38
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
I think that page explains quite well why it was present on keyboards before email was invented.
Muppet.
No it doesn't. It mentions it vaguely, then jumps of into a few historical examples from other cultures.

Incidentally, a single-point source based on an interview with a single-point source is not the best evidence of anything.
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 12:36   #39
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

It (and the subsequent posted link) are infinitely more evidence then he gave to support his "about" theory (that would be nothing...).
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 12:55   #40
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice

Evidence about what? I don't see them disproving the "about" theory per se - they simply provide evidence for a different stance.

I agree this @=about thing is unevidenced, but that doesn't mean you can throw anything at him and it automatically "wins", and it certainly doesn't put you in such a tenable position that you can call him "muppet". Particularly since you were wrong on that point.

Y'know, "I'm just saying."