User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 7 Jul 2004, 11:14   #1
KraKto$is8
Lurker

KraKto$is8 is infamous around these parts
Driving in the US and Canada

I have a UK driving license. I am under 21 and have held it for less than 3 years.

Am I allowed to legally drive in the US and Canada?
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 11:16   #2
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Driving in the US and Canada

I have no factual basis for saying this, but I would have thought you could.
No idea about canada but US citizens can drive at 15, so it'd be a bit daft not to let someone with a UK licence drive (esp. as the UK test is a lot more stringent than most US states)
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 11:32   #3
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I should imagine so. We have a reciprocal arrangement (I think) with some countries which means they can drive on our roads, we can drive on theirs. I think South Africa is one of the countries included, so it's possible the US is included too.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 11:34   #4
KraKto$is8
Lurker

Even though they drive on the wrong side and have crazy vehicles?

r0x0r
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 11:35   #5
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think there might also be an international extension you can get for certain types of licences. Check the DVLA site or whatever.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 11:39   #6
KraKto$is8
Lurker

I did, they don't have anything, their site is shit.
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 11:48   #7
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

I think you should be okay.

Here is a list of countries where an International Permit is required:
http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/motidp005.html

edit: also here http://www.rac.co.uk/travelservices/...g_permit/where
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 12:28   #8
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

why are you wondering that? since i mean, if i have my dutch driverslicence i wouldn't be anywhere worried to drive a car.
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 12:30   #9
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure for insurance reasons and the law in most states in america that you have to be 21.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 12:31   #10
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneED
I'm sure for insurance reasons and the law in most states in america that you have to be 21.
friend of mine drove over there at 17 before he did here..., which i dont quite get.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 12:32   #11
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think you have to be 21 to hire a car but I may be wrong.
If thats the case you could buy one, insure it then sell it but seems like a lot of hassle!
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 12:33   #12
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
friend of mine drove over there at 17 before he did here..., which i dont quite get.
oh, I might be wrong then. but then there are states where the driving age is 16 or something.

but for definite, JJ woul dprobably know because he's driven over there which might mean you don't have to be 21 because eh's only about 17
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 12:39   #13
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

[For the USA - no clue about Canadian Laws]

rightyho.

Yes and No

Yes you can drive but No because unless you buy a car you cant do it.

Basically you cant hire a car until 21 or 25 for some rental companies (even when 21 theres a large daily supplement on the policy). Their insurance doesnt trust anyone under that age.

HOWEVER

If you buy a car over there (if you go over multiple times a year or own property it might be a good idea) then Geico can sort you out with a policy. Im a named driver on our car over there and its all perfectly legal. The benefits are that if i was ever stopped for speeding i cant get points either. Only a rather large fine.

Hope this answers the question.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 12:40   #14
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Oh and yes its perfectly possible if you own a car to drive over there before 17 too. My brother is 16 and we were looking at getting him some lessons over there which would mean he could drive our car between certain hours as long as someone over 21 was with him and was insured on the car.

However he didnt get his ass in gear and do the online 'prep test' beforehand so i doubt he will do it now.
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 12:40   #15
KaneED
Motherfracker

What did I tell you!
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 12:57   #16
JammyJim
Godfather

http://www.geico.com/

if your interested
the car we have is reduced to absolute minimum cover when we are not there and then increased frmo the date we land back to 'normal' so if the worst happened we wouldnt be sued into oblivion for hospital payments to other people if it was our fault.

p.s. driving without insurance in the states, while being illegal, is also really stupid. IF anything happened (and its more likely in tourist areas) then you could literally lose everything you have. Hospital bills alone in a serious crash can amount to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

and tourists are really really highly unpredictable. especially the brits who for the most part get completely confused driving on the right. (no clue why)
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 13:04   #17
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

I don't see why the brits would get confused driving on the right in America, when none of them do when driving on the right in Europe (from what I've seen)
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 13:12   #18
JammyJim
Godfather

its the 4-5 lane freeways that usually lead to lots of confusion.

its nto so much inability to drive its radical turns or 'oh shit ive missed the junction' style stuff.
Added to the fact they sit at a red light when its clear to turn right which is increadibly annoying when the lights are timed badly.

ive seen a few veer towards the wrong side of the road at large intersections too. They are turning fine and then seem to suffer a huge panic attack in the middle of the 4 roads and cant remember which side theyre meant to be on.
infact i saw a crash because of that. a voyager packed with brits hit a car packed full of mexicans.

hoho.
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 13:14   #19
JammyJim
Godfather

oh and theres also the 'no lane discipline' which i have openly embrassed with both arms. however other brits dont and theyre not aware of you coming up on the left of them or right or whatever so they pull out infront of you with no warning on freeways.

its actually far more stressful during busy times on the freeways overthere because you have to watch both mirrors constantly if your in any of the middle lanes for people coming up and overtaking.
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 13:59   #20
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraKto$is8
I have a UK driving license. I am under 21 and have held it for less than 3 years.

Am I allowed to legally drive in the US and Canada?
yes, the driving age here is 16...come and drive as much as you want, just beware of the retards that don't know how to drive
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 16:21   #21
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
its actually far more stressful during busy times on the freeways overthere because you have to watch both mirrors constantly if your in any of the middle lanes for people coming up and overtaking.

Sounds like the motorway heading into Glasgow.
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 20:39   #22
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
I have no factual basis for saying this, but I would have thought you could.
No idea about canada but US citizens can drive at 15, so it'd be a bit daft not to let someone with a UK licence drive (esp. as the UK test is a lot more stringent than most US states)
That depends on the state. All states reconize other states liscences. For example, my cousin in Michigan got his learning permit at 15. Licence at 16. You can't even get a learner's permit till 16 in Pennsylvania. Some states have the age limit even lower under ceratin conditions. Again, it depends on home state.

Now, I belive all you need is a passport and your countries driver licence and your good to go.

Last edited by Intrepid00; 7 Jul 2004 at 20:52.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 20:51   #23
Intrepid00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
If thats the case you could buy one, insure it then sell it but seems like a lot of hassle!
You only have to be 18 because of legal age of adult hood and not being held resonable for crap till hate, BUT you won't get it till 21 because no one will trust you till then. Espically if your coming over seas.
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 20:54   #24
Intrepid00

Quote:
oh and theres also the 'no lane discipline' which i have openly embrassed with both arms. however other brits dont and theyre not aware of you coming up on the left of them or right or whatever so they pull out infront of you with no warning on freeways.

Yes there is, drive in the left in Pennsylvania and get a ticket. Left is for passing and right is for slower traffice. If you had people driving past you on the right you needed to move the hell over.

Now, not all states have it as law but it is what your suppose to be doing and more states are making it law.
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 21:12   #25
Intrepid00

Some quick tips
  • Carry more them minumal insurance and make sure you have uninsuraced motor coverage. Its illegal not to be, but a lot ****ers don't have it in the cities because well they are ****ers.
  • Speed limit on highways may be law but think of them as a guide. Move at the flow of traffice or your going to have an accident. Besides, no cops pulls you over (unless your in the South and have NE tags) as long as you don't go 10 MPH faster then the speed limit on highways.
  • If you get hit by a bunch of guys in a car. Leave your window up and don't get out of the car till the cops show up (they won't be sticking around any way). What happens is they look for tourist, ram them and when you get out of your car to exchange info they beat the shit out of you and take your money. This is happens a lot in tourist areas with immigrants (Purto Ricans, Mexicans, etc... Not singleing any group out but they are the worst and doesn't matter who or what they look like, but your most likey to have bigger problems if they are young.). You will also notice you will never see the 'Budget Rental Cars' tag on rental cars in states like Flordia for this reason and if it is on the car its on the side they can't see. Usually driver rear side window.
  • If your in the city, the timming sucks on those lights. Its like yellow then red in 2 secs or less. Other areas like suburbs have plenty of time.
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 21:20   #26
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough

Just remember this: Its all fun and games until you realize just how fking big this country is. Take 1/5th of the population of your entire country, pack it into one city, and then make it a hotbed for international tourism....yeah, 6 lane highways SUCK, even for those of us who know how to drive them.
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 21:48   #27
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Basically you cant hire a car until 21 or 25 for some rental companies (even when 21 theres a large daily supplement on the policy). Their insurance doesnt trust anyone under that age.
Thats pretty standard around the world, you can pop down hertz or any other rental firm and your unlikly to be rent a car if your under 25. As you said about the states if the firm will allow you to rent a car between the ages of 21-25 your pay a massive surcharge for doing so
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 23:45   #28
KraKto$is8
Lurker

Thanks, you seem to have answered all my questions. I'm intending on driving a friend's car, but I'm not sure if I'm up to it. Thanks for all your advice.
Unread 8 Jul 2004, 19:31   #29
MeridianStar
Para Keet

MeridianStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
Yes, but most places won't rent you a car until you're 25 (insurance reasons).
[23:46] <Theamion> i still love you tho
[23:47] <Theamion> you mad scottish bint
MeridianStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2004, 19:45   #30
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

its really frustrating driving in the usa and canada. everyone drives so slowly
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2004, 23:02   #31
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsnake
Take 1/5th of the population of your entire country, pack it into one city, and then make it a hotbed for international tourism....
We already did that, and we called it "London".
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote