User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 22 Apr 2004, 11:15   #51
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Nodrog was rite

Well I would say that at undergraduate level, contrary to popular belief, success in liberal arts courses relies far more upon natural ability than the sciences do. Obviously if youre talented at the subject and are quite fast at learning new things/grasping concepts youll have a far easier time doing science than someone less gifted, but if youre prepared to put in an obscene amount of work I think you could probably get a first class degree in any science at any university, even if you arent really that good at the subject. In liberal arts courses its slightly different. If you dont have the ability to write top class essays, you cant just go away and study for X hours a day unless youre competant. A lot of the people who get great grades here are those who arent exactly naturally fantastic at the subject, but are prepared to spend 25+ hours a week continually going over the material. I dont think you could really get away with that in a course like philosophy or politics.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2004, 11:39   #52
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I didnt say it was all down to how much work you put in, I said that dedication can compensate for lack of ability at undergraduate level. People who are actually talented at the subject will have to do a lot less work than people who have less ability in order to achieve the same thing.
Unread 22 Apr 2004, 11:43   #53
Nodrog

On a sidenote, there are obvioulsy other aspects of science-related skills (such as problem solving, ability to handle abstract concepts, integration (in a mental sense, not a calculus one)) that are a lot harder to improve, and I'd liken these to essay writing skills - ie they can be improved, but generally in indirect ways rather than by sheer brute force.
Unread 22 Apr 2004, 16:34   #54
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Philosophy and political science was dead shit and dead boring and now I'm giving it up. So I'm taking a year off to work and then I'm going back to college in 2005 to study <insertsubject>. Any suggestions on either where to work or what to do when I go back to college?
Well, you don't have to give up on the useless degrees yet. You could still be an History or Art degree. You might also want to get a teaching cert so you can at least eat.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2004, 16:46   #55
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

id also say, just to add to the earlier thing, there is a crossover point with the maths/arts line.

i found maths easier than history up to a level, simply because i needed to put absolutely 0 effort in and i could go into the exam knowing nothing and work out how to do it for myself during the exam. With history, if i knew nothing i could write virtually nothing.

of course im obviously not skilled enough at maths to do that at a university level, you would need some sort of good will hunting savant for that.
Unread 22 Apr 2004, 21:25   #56
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
Well I've never done Maths or Physics at undergraduate level and certainly Maths A-level was pretty tough (yes I'm sure everyone else did it in their sleep but I really struggled). However JBG was doing philosophy. JBG is a smart guy, why can't he just wander over to the exam after reading Bertrand Russell and a bit of Wittgenstein, write three essays on Agency and Structure and get a 2:2?

This probably sounds ridiculously pretentious and shit but I'd really like to do a course where a) I can see a purpose to what I'm doing as opposed to my current/previous course where it was "hay let's read a few books and learn stuff!" and b) I find myself challenged and it actually requires work for me to pass my course. I studied for about 6 hours for an exam in which I had absolutely no previous experience (economic policy) on about 10% of my course and I got like 62%. Plus I miss the problem solving element of maths and the sciences, certainly this exists to some extent in arts courses but it's more of a wishy-washy subjective let's solve world hunger by growing really big tomatoes and introducing communism on potato plantations in the centre of Ireland sort of thing.
Unread 22 Apr 2004, 21:31   #57
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I told you you should have done Physics.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2004, 21:31   #58
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't really understand why they even bother teaching things like philosophy or politics in modern universities. The idea you can grade things like politics or philosophy seems a little stupid.

In fact, why the hell do we even have subjects at all? Why not let people just turn up and have a huge intellectual orgy of learning? Fascists.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2004, 21:40   #59
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I don't really understand why they even bother teaching things like philosophy or politics in modern universities. The idea you can grade things like politics or philosophy seems a little stupid.

In fact, why the hell do we even have subjects at all? Why not let people just turn up and have a huge intellectual orgy of learning? Fascists.

We have universities so one day I can get a good job, buy a home in middle-class suburbia, work hard from 9-5 for forty years, buy a porsche at 45, retire at 60 and spend the rest of my days reversing over homeless people in my car.
Unread 22 Apr 2004, 21:45   #60
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'll go out without the porsche and actually have a bearable forty years in the mid-point of my life if that's OK.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2004, 21:50   #61
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
I'll go out without the porsche and actually have a bearable forty years in the mid-point of my life if that's OK.
I'm sure between you, T&F and sbolly your communist commune will be able to afford some sort of hippy bus with which to run down "innocent" homeless people.
Unread 22 Apr 2004, 21:59   #62
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
buy a porsche at 45....and spend the rest of my days reversing over homeless people in my car.
You dont want to ruin the Porsche mate, you need a second car to get blood stains on.
Unread 22 Apr 2004, 22:12   #63
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
We have universities so one day I can get a good job, buy a home in middle-class suburbia, work hard from 9-5 for forty years, buy a porsche at 45, retire at 60 and spend the rest of my days reversing over homeless people in my car.

You are going to retire at 70-75, mark my words.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2004, 22:13   #64
Nodrog

Quote:
They could (and imo should) teach it at modern universities without grading it.
Unread 22 Apr 2004, 22:15   #65
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid00
You are going to retire at 70-75, mark my words.
Why so sure? Extended life-spans pushing back the normal retirement date or something?

PS Being able to attend philosophy lectures in areas I enjoy when I feel like it for free would be nice nod.
Unread 22 Apr 2004, 22:41   #66
Nodrog

thats what queball does I think
Unread 23 Apr 2004, 08:29   #67
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
They could (and imo should) teach it at modern universities without grading it.
That is of course assuming that the point of the course is to teach philosophy, which it quite clearly isn't.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote