User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 3 Mar 2004, 01:41   #1
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
"I support a free market" is the most meaningless platitute ever invented

including the famous Welsh saying "Ikken yogi tnabari thon getiki!".

I dont think I've ever met anyone that claimed not to 'support a freemarket'. Every single person in the entire country "supports a free market but <insert worthless statist control here>".

Seriously guys, I dont know why you cant just be honest and say you hate the idea of free trade, I'd respect you a lot more

Last edited by Nodrog; 3 Mar 2004 at 01:47.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 01:51   #2
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: "I support a free market" is the most meaningless platitute ever invented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
Government-regulated markets ROCK DUDE!!
no mang, government regulations are bad, free trade is good as long as we have it in a restricted zone with no more than 14.56% state subsidies allowed on selected goods.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 02:01   #3
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i support nationalisation of ALL industries.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 02:03   #4
Nodrog

Parcelforce failed to deliver a package to me on Monday whereas Royal Mail have managed to deliver all my letters ok, so I think a public post office is definitely called for guys.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 02:04   #5
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

stop being silly you giner scotsman
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 02:44   #6
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
including the famous Welsh saying "Ikken yogi tnabari thon getiki!".
What the hell does that mean I can't remember ever hearing it?
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 02:53   #7
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

'gains from trade'

economics 101

free trade is 'da bomb'

apparently.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 02:58   #8
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

define free market. is murder okay, noting that if someone didn't want to be murdered they could hire security?

anyway herr bush has control over the meaningless platitude category, with his contraversial stances against "evil" and "bad"
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 03:08   #9
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

a free market doesnt not necessarily mean a freedom to do what you want....?

a free market is the ability to trade goods and services without any government intervention.

i.e. the trade is only governed by the 'natural laws' of economics with no outside influences such as protectionism etc
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 03:09   #10
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

What's even funnier is the two democrats taht could win in are both for even more protectionism and pissing off the EU on the trade front.

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 03:26   #11
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
a free market doesnt not necessarily mean a freedom to do what you want....?

a free market is the ability to trade goods and services without any government intervention.

i.e. the trade is only governed by the 'natural laws' of economics with no outside influences such as protectionism etc
where do you get your goods from though?

originally?

and what about environmental laws? and minimum wage? neither would technically be affecting your ability to trade, but a lot of the time free traders are more against those than, say, sales tax.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 03:46   #12
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The best thing about free trade is that nobody, anywhere, ever really wants everyone to have the same opportunities as they do.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 06:10   #13
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: "I support a free market" is the most meaningless platitute ever invented

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
The best thing about free trade is that nobody, anywhere, ever really wants everyone to have the same opportunities as they do.
In my experience, most people don't object to equal opportunity unless/until they start to believe it comes at their own expense. For example, if you have a zero-sum outlook then you might tend to regard more opportunities for others leading to fewer for you; whereas if you have a win-win outlook then you might regard more opportunities for others as actually increasing your own opportunities.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 06:10   #14
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

I know some books you should read but I'm not finished reading them yet.

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit

Unread 3 Mar 2004, 06:15   #15
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
In my experience, most people don't object to equal opportunity unless/until they start to believe it comes at their own expense. For example, if you have a zero-sum outlook then you might tend to regard more opportunities for others leading to fewer for you; whereas if you have a win-win outlook then you might regard more opportunities for others as actually increasing your own opportunities.
Can you find me anyone who actually believes in equal opportunity for all people? Ireland was all "up the free market and equal opportunity!!!1111" when the celtic tiger was booming but now that the economy's not doing so well and it looks likely that the number of eastern Europeans, willing to work for less money in the same jobs as Irish people, will increase (EU accession mid-2004) everyone's like "hay i support freedom of movement but out country's our country so stay out foreigners and don't steal our jobs "

PS Who's sunday talking to?
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 06:20   #16
Evergreen
the merciless

All of you.

Unread 3 Mar 2004, 06:29   #17
JonnyBGood
Banned

Okay. I know some books you should read as well. Namely books 18-22 of the rather less famous Curious Paul series.

18: Curious Paul goes to Canada
19: Curious Paul meets a polar bear
20: Curious Paul is sexually abused by a polar bear
21: Curious Paul attempts to sound superior on the internet.
22: Curious Paul does not succeed.

The Omnibus Collection, Curious Paul: A Failure in Life, is rather good as well.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 06:51   #18
Evergreen
the merciless

Jonny is bitter and has never really paid much attention to the 18th century I guess.

Unread 3 Mar 2004, 06:57   #19
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: "I support a free market" is the most meaningless platitute ever invented

Quote:
Can you find me anyone who actually believes in equal opportunity for all people?
You mean besides myself? :/
Quote:
Ireland was all "up the free market and equal opportunity!!!1111" when the celtic tiger was booming but now that the economy's not doing so well and it looks likely that the number of eastern Europeans, willing to work for less money in the same jobs as Irish people, will increase (EU accession mid-2004) everyone's like "hay i support freedom of movement but out country's our country so stay out foreigners and don't steal our jobs "
We have lots of people coming to the US looking for jobs too. I don't have a problem with that as long as they're looking for work and not a handout. The reality is that cheaper labor is its own efficiency; so if you don't import the labor then you'll end up exporting the jobs. So I say, 'Welcome to America!'
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 07:34   #20
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Seriously guys, I dont know why you cant just be honest and say you hate the idea of free trade, I'd respect you a lot more
Very few people "hate" free trade. You'd need to be kind of weird to care that much.

Although I'm not sure what you mean by "free trade" tbh. I'm against the sale of human beings (for instance) so I guess I'm an evil anti-free-trader. Or is that a worthless state control you can support for xyz philosophical reasons?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 10:38   #21
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Anything that stops markets from clearin is not
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 13:38   #22
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen
Jonny is bitter and has never really paid much attention to the 18th century I guess.
Yes, because that's what the 18th century was based on. Free trade

PS I believe in it as well Tactitus, and I'd probably vote for it but in practice I'm too busy looking out for myself to really care what happens to a bunch of people I've never met and know nothing about.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 17:53   #23
Evergreen
the merciless

Have we really became less enlightened since the 18th century?

Unread 3 Mar 2004, 17:56   #24
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Although I'm not sure what you mean by "free trade" tbh. I'm against the sale of human beings (for instance) so I guess I'm an evil anti-free-trader. Or is that a worthless state control you can support for xyz philosophical reasons?
If people want to sell themselves, I'm not convinced theres that much of a problem. I suppose you could support a maximum duration on the contract though, but I wouldnt really call that anti free trade.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 17:57   #25
Evergreen
the merciless

Adam Smith

Unread 3 Mar 2004, 18:00   #26
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
If people want to sell themselves, I'm not convinced theres that much of a problem. I suppose you could support a maximum duration on the contract though, but I wouldnt really call that anti free trade.
I was referring to chattel slavery, or the sale of children or whatever.

(as T&F said)
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 18:03   #27
Evergreen
the merciless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
What about him?
Part of the Enlightenment.

Unread 3 Mar 2004, 18:03   #28
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Adam Smith
Does my signature actually appear as "I am a ****ing moron" to you? Seriously.

PS What on earth do you mean by we, or enlightened for that matter? I imagine certain members of the English aristocracy know less now than they did then, most people living in poverty-stricken nations know as much now as they did then, ie **** all, Ireland's probably better off, Europe isn't as strong but it's population are better off. I'm rather confused here I must admit.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 18:06   #29
Nodrog

Quote:
I was referring to chattel slavery, or the sale of children or whatever.

(as T&F said)
You cant sell what you dont own, thats kind of implicit in the idea of trade.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 18:09   #30
Nodrog

Quote:
So you would regulate the market to make sure people didn't do that would you?
There isnt a market for human trade, I think youve confused yourself.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 18:10   #31
Evergreen
the merciless

And, it's not my fault if you refuse to make yourself as enlightened as your fellow subjects were during the 18th century when they created the social sciences amongst other things.

Unread 3 Mar 2004, 18:11   #32
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
You cant sell what you dont own, thats kind of implicit in the idea of trade.
Ah, then we are in agreement. I am a total free-marketeer then (according to this definition).

I merely oppose the sale of human beings or land, since neither can be owned.

edit : or arguably ideas, but that's easy to undercut.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 18:13   #33
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Ah, then we are in agreement. I am a total free-marketeer then (according to this definition).

I merely oppose the sale of human beings or land, since neither can be owned.
If you can't own land what exactly can you own? Is it possible to own the products of the land without owning the land?
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 18:14   #34
Evergreen
the merciless

They discussed this better at least 250 years ago you know.

Unread 3 Mar 2004, 18:24   #35
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
They discussed this better at least 250 years ago you know.

Look seriously shut up I've been reading books on the Enlightenment, Smith and capitalism for years and I dare say I've forgotten more about it than you currently know. Either contribute or bugger off.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 18:30   #36
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Adam Smith
PBOH.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 18:31   #37
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
If you can't own land what exactly can you own? Is it possible to own the products of the land without owning the land?
Ignoring the Lockean argument for a moment, there's an issue of reasonableness.

Under current land law, let's say I leave my factory open but unused for several years. Under current legal framework, it's still my factory, but I think it's reasonable to say that if squatters went in and used my tools (but didn't cause any damage) to make themselves stuff, I wouldn't reasonably "own" their products.

Locke points to laws that switch ownership of land if no-one uses it productively for x years, but this strikes me as an argument from utility, not ethics.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 18:31   #38
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, lets see here. The phone service in the US became unregulated a few years ago. Prices dropped a LOT because of stiff competition that opened up and the fact the goverment was no longer involved in the BS long stranded process of approval price changes. I bet my phone calls cost a lot less then yours over more distance.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 18:33   #39
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid00
Well, lets see here. The phone service in the US became unregulated a few years ago. Prices dropped a LOT. I bet my phone calls cost a lot less then yours over more distance.
I don't think a practical demonstration is useful in a debate like this. Someone will mention how the train serve in the UK is even more rubbish after privatisation, you'll mention another deregulation success, they'll mention another failure, etc, etc. It doesn't really prove much.

Plus, the telecoms industry had undergone a lot of technological changes (I'd imagine, no expert) which realistically would have eroded costs anyway.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 18:34   #40
Dante Hicks
Clerk

See?
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 18:35   #41
Intrepid00

Quote:
Yeah and then there was the spectacular success of energy deregulation in California.
Which worked well in PA. I enjoy lower power cost now. Power is a bad example. Its not like you can package power up into battieres and sell it in bulk like you can in phone minutes. In other words, California didn't create competition when they unregulated like PA did.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 18:39   #42
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

In some areas, competition is meaningless.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 18:44   #43
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Ignoring the Lockean argument for a moment, there's an issue of reasonableness.

Under current land law, let's say I leave my factory open but unused for several years. Under current legal framework, it's still my factory, but I think it's reasonable to say that if squatters went in and used my tools (but didn't cause any damage) to make themselves stuff, I wouldn't reasonably "own" their products.

Locke points to laws that switch ownership of land if no-one uses it productively for x years, but this strikes me as an argument from utility, not ethics.

Seeing as utilitarianism is an ethical system it's not exactly fair to disregard it though. Most of the problems arise as you delve further into it though. Factories cost money to maintain obviously and it's fairly reasonable to expect someone to pay part of the upkeep if they wish to use the factory. The question then arises of percentages and what should be paid and to whom. If they have no money at that point in time could they bargain with a portion of their future profits? Clearly it needed both of you, or rather them and your property to produce these goods. Surely you should gain something out of that? What is "not using"? is there a definitive cut-off point that transcends all temporal and geographical boundaries?
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 18:55   #44
Intrepid00

Quote:
So what your saying is that that free market can be good but not in all circumstances.
Yes, but it usually is. The only time I wanna see requlation is when its impossiable to have competiotion or a market is showing signs of an not competiting. Like the phone market at one time could not compete because of technology. Technology changed and now it can.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 18:59   #45
Intrepid00

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
In some areas, competition is meaningless.

Which is usually the result of the consumer being an idiot or its out of your markets hands to create competition. For example, women's underwear. Plenty of diffrent brands and companies but women pay for 1 pair underwear men get like a pack of 6.

Why, because women are willing to pay for it.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 18:59   #46
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You have to look at whether some parts of the industry are more profitable than others, yet the less profitable ones are still desired by the government to take place. The obvious comparison is with the British postal service, where the royal mail's monopoly on parcel deliveries was broken, meaning profits were down significantly, because they still had to subsidise the loss making letter deliverise, whereas other companies didn't have this problem, am i rite
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 19:00   #47
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid00
Which is usually the result of the consumer being an idiot or its out of your markets hands to create competition. For example, women's underwear. Plenty of diffrent brands and companies but women pay for 1 pair underwear men get like a pack of 6.

Why, because women are willing to pay for it.
I don't really see the problem with lack of competition in that example. Different products having different prices isn't exactly destructive to the free market.
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 19:13   #48
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Adam Smith
was Scottish.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2004, 19:16   #49
Evergreen
the merciless

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
was Scottish.
<3

Unread 3 Mar 2004, 19:16   #50
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
was Scottish.
I don't care, as long as I can get my free temples.