User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 2 Sep 2003, 08:01   #1
zug0

zug0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Xans, what is good about them?

by browsing the universe i saw that are few people that picked up xan as their race. Is there something atractive about xans? i picked them cause i always liked xans but this round i can´t see something good about them.
zug0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2003, 08:31   #2
Maddix
Imposter?

Maddix is an unknown quantity at this point
They have far greater firepower than the other races (but ofc lower armour).

R2: XXV
R3: Æternals
R4: Fx9/Wolfpack
R5: Legion
R6: Legion BC
R7: Legion BC
R8: RaH BC
R9: RaH HC
Maddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2003, 10:22   #3
Andy_r
X$X

Andy_r is an unknown quantity at this point
They need even numbers of roid types, which means if they get out of balance they can smply attack whichever race concentrates on what they are short of.

Now there are no 'sinks' for excess resources, this is a very useful advantage.

If the other races attack outside their own race they will be in danger of being short of their most needed resource
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Andy_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2003, 11:29   #4
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold
r10 is all about attacking big targets, Xan are well suited to that, especially early with their best ships Mosquito and Firefly (though the Zik are damn good too). Xans is best for people who plan to attack all the way out from tick 49. Best targets are Terran and Cathaar so far, but we have to see how things turn out with the big terran CR and BS coming soon. This round Xan have good CR and BS too, it would be a mistake to stick to FR and Fi imho.

I've browsed a little and the only Councillors (rank above Advisor) i've seen so far are either Xan or Zik. Interesting

Last edited by Makhil; 2 Sep 2003 at 14:10.
Makhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 05:48   #5
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold
Provided you continually attack targets slightly or even greatly bigger than yourself, xan's attack method (high casualties high losses) will prove the most effective at exploiting the score "bug".

That said I do think terran cruisers and bs are going to be the best ships in the game, I'm just unsure as to whether they would arrive too late in the day in regular PA. (versuivius or whatever they're called are going to rock as roiding ships, utterly rock. And should you include olympians the scare factor of "crap if I run he's going to so totally blow away my structures and get huge while I dwindle" that it may lure the target into trying to get defence, which due to this new scoring system may prove advantageous - I bloody well wish certain people would let certain other people grab this "score" system by the balls and sort it out).

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 07:25   #6
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold
the score calculation has been tweaked, and what was said above is not true anymore. the Ship wealth counts in a greater proportion for the score calculation now. Xans can't enjoy their kamikaze attacks any longer (sad). Important is to preserve your shipsto avoid gaining nothing after an attack. Zik and Terrans become the best choices and the time of people targeting bigger planets than their own is over. It's back to old school pa tactics ' pick a small safe target, send a massive fleet and steel the roids to build more ships (sad again) but anyway :
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 13:23   #7
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough
Score and value does not only have the connection 'higher value - higher score', you can have a relativly low value and still have a high score.
I assume it has to do with how well you take care of your value, ie if you manage to attack with lower losses, you get more score.

(speaking from own experience, being by far the smallest value-wise in the top20, possibly top 30-40, and with the 3rd lowest amount of roids in the top100)
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 18:03   #8
Makhil

score is made of what you gained in combat (this gain is permanent) and of a percentage of your value (this can fluctuate depending on the value : loss of ships and structures mainly).
Currently the percentage of the value in the score calculation is too high (it was too low before) which makes attacking big targets far less popular (coz you'll surely lose many ships). Xan strikes on big planets is something from the past now it is back to picking half your size (or below) targets or bashing just for roids.
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 19:24   #9
Scorpio
Inflate My Ego

Scorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to behold
XAN FOREVER!!

We simply rock!

Who keeps an arrow in his bow,
And if you prod him, lets it go?

A fervent friend, a subtle foe –
— Scorpio
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2003, 01:24   #10
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Makhil
the score calculation has been tweaked, and what was said above is not true anymore. the Ship wealth counts in a greater proportion for the score calculation now. Xans can't enjoy their kamikaze attacks any longer (sad). Important is to preserve your shipsto avoid gaining nothing after an attack. Zik and Terrans become the best choices and the time of people targeting bigger planets than their own is over. It's back to old school pa tactics ' pick a small safe target, send a massive fleet and steel the roids to build more ships (sad again) but anyway :
It's probably going to end up being Terran I think*

*depends on if the alliances all stay neutral and take a softly softly approach, or all block up and go for a "twat them from day 1" approach

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2003, 23:24   #11
General1
Rah's def wh0re

General1 will become famous soon enoughGeneral1 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Scorpio
XAN FOREVER!!

We simply rock!
\o/
Rd4 ---> 246 24 10 Silverwolf of Limburg [TFD] [Cell] [NFU]