User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 4 Aug 2005, 15:20   #1
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Buying a New Desktop Computer

Basically I need the help of GD to find an affordable yet powerful computer, to be honest my budget is a bit shit at about £700 max I would prefer something in the £500-650 region, anyway I know alot of you deal with computers and are very knowledgable about them.
Unread 4 Aug 2005, 17:35   #2
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Buying a New Desktop Computer

Are you talking just the base unit?
Unread 4 Aug 2005, 20:35   #3
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

so you want one thats already built for you? or do you have the know-how* to build it yourself?

What do you want it for? What size HD do you want? DVD writer? how much RAM?

Once you've worked out what you want then come back and ask again

*Confidence. It's quite easy to build it...

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2005, 21:29   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I recently got a cheapish Dell machine (although I have built various machines myself in the past). It's not bad and I've got no complaints. I think it's one you could get for £499 or so. Decentish HDD, 512MB RAM, 3Ghz CPU, smallish screen and DVD-RW.

If you want to do gaming in a big way you'll need to do some sort of ninja graphics card option though.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2005, 22:20   #5
sale
Bavarian Barbarian

sale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of light

First u should think of the use of the machine,
are u playing? -> fast cpu, lot of ram, very good graphics
working? ->need a lot of space ...

etc etc
as dante i can say dell has good machine, the main thing for me they have a very good service...
so far ~
sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2005, 09:53   #6
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

The Dell GX 280 series have a heat problem tho ^^
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2005, 10:35   #7
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

For that sort of budget, your best bet is to buy an "ok" dell or similar (just make sure the processor and memory are up to scratch), and then put a ninja graphics card in as has been suggested.
The GeForce 6600GT is a good midrange option - I use it and can hapilly play HL2, Doom 3, Farcry, UT2k4 etc etc. You're looking at ~£110 for that card.
Unread 5 Aug 2005, 14:26   #8
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Ok basically im not too sure on what I should be looking at, anyway what do you think of this?

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/349_262900.html
Unread 5 Aug 2005, 16:41   #9
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If you want to play games on it, that one won't be great as it's using an integrated Intel graphics chip which also uses your system memory. If you're prepared to spend on top of that to get a seperate graphics card then that'd be fine.
Unread 6 Aug 2005, 03:32   #10
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

build one yourself, your likely to get a more powerful one than buyin one ready made.

e.g.
1gig ram
160+ gb HD
64mb+ gfx
3ghz cpu

do u want a monitor aswell?
Unread 6 Aug 2005, 14:43   #11
smeg9
Ex EL High Command

smeg9 is on a distinguished road

I would build your own, not buy from Coment, £700 is a good budget to be working from..

Easily get a 64bit 939 processor (3200+ or 3500+) and a gig of Dual Channel RAM,
A graphics card,
160GB HDD

You could go for this, but you'd have to spend another £200 to get it running, minimum!!
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...e.html?BB-X2DS

But seriously, if you haven't built before, maybe try a barebones bundle, you still get to choose what size HDD, and what graphics card to have, but the hard work has been done for you... Take alook at this:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s....html?BB-NF435

A 3500+ 64bit Processor, 512MB of Ram (upgrade this in a year / 6 months maybe??)
£360

DVD Writer - £27
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?PHI-16DVDB

160GB SATA Hard disk - £60
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s....html?WD-160JD

Nvidia 6600GT PCI-EX Graphics Card - £112
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...html?NOV-66GTE

Microsoft Wireless Keyboard and Mouse - £40 (I've bought these for under £30) so..
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?MS-S51-000

That's £599 for a pretty quick machine.. The only thing left is a monitor, but you never specified whether you wanted one or not, or if you wanted a TFT monitor or a CRT one... but you have £101 to spare

Don't go with the cheapest, it makes a BIG difference in computer systems, my PC is built out of good quality components, the cheapest thing it has or the only cheap thing is the PSU and you should never skimp on this, I am saving up for a good one ;-)

You can pick up a TFT for £135 but I wouldn't recommend it, save up for a decent one..
:-) I hope I've been of some help. if you have any questions, just make a post..

www.ebuyer.co.uk are usually pretty good for components..
Unread 12 Aug 2005, 05:36   #12
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold

Take smeg's advice.

I have no doubts that any help you need can be found here- building your first computer is a challenge and very rewarding- I'm using my first built machine atm.

Do go a "bundle" offer, it will guarentee compatibility- then you can choose a nice case [one of the best parts about building ur own pc] etc.

Its cheaper too.
Unread 12 Aug 2005, 05:37   #13
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold

oh.

www.scan.co.uk

www.komplett.co.uk

two best places for PC hardware in the UK [or at least I haven't found better]