User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 2 Jan 2003, 21:47   #51
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
And I guess I have to correct myself, after doing the research on the internet.
Quote:
Definition

A mass noun is a noun whose referents are not thought of as separate entities.

It may have distinguishing features such as the following:
  • The inability to take a plural form
  • Cooccurrence with some determiners (such as someand much), but not others (such as the English many)

Discussion

Some nouns may permit treatment as either count or mass nouns.

Example:
In English, saladmay be treated as either a count or mass noun, as evidenced by the acceptability of the following expressions:
  • many salads
  • much salad

Example (English)

Here is an example of a mass noun:

The word furnitureis a mass noun. It cannot take the plural suffix -s:
  • * furnitures

In addition, it can occur with some determiners, but not others:
  • the furniture
  • much furniture
  • some furniture
  • * a furniture
  • * many furnitures
So, non-nouns, proper nouns, and mass nouns do not have plural forms.
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 21:54   #52
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by W
They're mass nouns, their useage is just like "gold". A hate, more hate.

Name one that isn't a mass noun with the useage of "more".

"information" is a mass noun. "more information".
Im not convinced love qualifies as this. More furniture, gold or information actually mean an increase in the amount of individual objects (items of furniture, gold or information), which is actual pluralisation. More love doesnt mean 'more love objects', it means that the existing singular love object is bigger, which isnt really pluralisation.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 22:41   #53
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Five million euro. I don't think you can even say "more euro", but it still remains without the 's' due to the fact that not all nations in Europe use s to pluralise their words.

[/obligatorycomedyEUsnipe]
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:07   #54
Skitz Mickz

Some of you are getting the right idea..

to be perfectly honest, i was never perfectly sure of what i meant, i was basically just curious as to what words had no plural.

there are some words that are already plural (but can be "referred" to as singular): like sheep, news, etc.

i spose what i originally meant was are there ANY words (in the sense of an object/noun) that have no plural whatsoever, not words that are already plural, but objects of any sense, that have NO PLURAL AT ALL.
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:10   #55
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
Five million euro. I don't think you can even say "more euro", but it still remains without the 's' due to the fact that not all nations in Europe use s to pluralise their words.
Maybe this is symbolic of how the EU has no concept of objects remaining distinctly seperate, and wants to amalgamate everything into one huge rotten mass much like the Borg from star trek LOL!
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:25   #56
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
everything
genesis
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 02:29   #57
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally posted by queball
everything
genesis
"You're on the ball"

doesn't everything mean anything counts too?
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote