User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 1 May 2011, 15:56   #1
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice
All about the astropod

Just having one class of roiders could be an interesting change iīd think

could look like this one:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CKuNj78G

discuss, moan and flame, thats what these forums are for

"Itīs not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 May 2011, 16:08   #2
Influence
Finally retired

Influence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to behold
Re: All about the astropod

only if we bring back random targetting too!

In the absence of the good old TiT alliance, look me up in VGN
Influence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 May 2011, 18:04   #3
Killeah
Old Skool

Killeah has a spectacular aura aboutKilleah has a spectacular aura about

Well, the pod isnīt the only major change here, from a usual set of stats (atleast rnd 40-41, of which Iīm basing my experience on).

Iīm generally keen on the idea, especially that all races are sharing the same pod class - one could infact add two pods, with the same theme, I.e FR/BS pods on all.

It would most likely bring a lot more variation in the attack fleets.

I need to adress some of the ships tho and the rationale behind it:

Zik/etd - not having a Fi/Co ship targeting Fr, did you consider the early game disadvandtage of not being able to defend against pods as fast as other races, i.e later hulls and tt research to topple it?, and if you did what did you compensate with ? - canīt seem to read that out of the stats.

A thumbs up is the fact that every single race got a T1 ships against all classes, that balances a lot compared to now, and encourages one to make a well balaced attack fleet spanning 4-5 ship types - making attacking in teams and such a more interesting affair.

I'm not completely sure about the high dmg,emp res etc. they seem to favour Xan a bit, but I need to see some numbers b4 cometing on that.

These stats are imo not bad - and deff better than the current, whatever that means
Killeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 May 2011, 19:34   #4
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killeah View Post
Well, the pod isnīt the only major change here, from a usual set of stats (atleast rnd 40-41, of which Iīm basing my experience on).

Iīm generally keen on the idea, especially that all races are sharing the same pod class - one could infact add two pods, with the same theme, I.e FR/BS pods on all.

It would most likely bring a lot more variation in the attack fleets.

I need to adress some of the ships tho and the rationale behind it:

Zik/etd - not having a Fi/Co ship targeting Fr, did you consider the early game disadvandtage of not being able to defend against pods as fast as other races, i.e later hulls and tt research to topple it?, and if you did what did you compensate with ? - canīt seem to read that out of the stats.

A thumbs up is the fact that every single race got a T1 ships against all classes, that balances a lot compared to now, and encourages one to make a well balaced attack fleet spanning 4-5 ship types - making attacking in teams and such a more interesting affair.

I'm not completely sure about the high dmg,emp res etc. they seem to favour Xan a bit, but I need to see some numbers b4 cometing on that.

These stats are imo not bad - and deff better than the current, whatever that means
yeah well, these "stats" are just meant to be a dummy - to get an imagination of where i am shooting at
they are not thought through completely, it was just a quick line up

however yes i am aware of the fr weakness of zik/etd in the early game, Zikīs comprehension is a BS stealing FR as primary target, which can eventually make some nice fleets in the later stage of the game - needing med hulls to stop pods might be a worthy price for that

for etd, well two of the anti fr ships are cloaked which is an advantage i guess - not sure if it is enough

i would be against adding another podclass for all races -
i could imagine though to add cr pods for cathaar and etd (while ziks have the option to steal some) since both race seem a bit under powered atm.

the high dam., res thing as you call it, is basically what the races always meant to be and shall just give a short overview of what to expect.

thx for your statement and i guess iīll take a deeper look on this set soon and add some numbers to calc with (damage etc..) and probably cr pods like stated, will sleep a night over that one

"Itīs not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
Unread 2 May 2011, 14:12   #5
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

These sorts of stats are what PA had consistently in the early days. The fundamental problem with having every pod in one class (in this case FR) is that the smart players learn that you only need to build anti FR, everything else is irrelevant. So the entire game becomes building the ships that do the most damage against FR. So if one race in particular (say xan) has an advantage against FR it immediately becomes the dominant race, which leads to a rather dull round.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2011, 14:35   #6
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

And even if the races are perfectly balanced, it's still a matter of who has the most War Frigates or whatever the racial equivalents thereof. Yawn.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2011, 18:50   #7
M0RPH3US
idle

well yeah you both are probably right, however i think that some adjustments could be made to make it NOT that boring and predictable

for exampel the addition of a cr pod for cathaar and etd
while xan will be real good against fr, but awefully bad against cr

also no fi/co class should be able to target cr, to give only a 2 tick def window for those aswell

further i would love to see Zikonians beeing able to gain value from stealing - why ? because it could be real fun to fly fake attacks as zikonian, totally not aimed to cap a single roid, but therefore surprise the defender and steal a lot of value in ships

at the same time probably removing steal ships from ETD completely (they have the cr pod allready)

i dunno if it will be that much boring like predicted...

we had what like 200k players back in the early days ? something must have been right

all sets of stats presented the last 20 rounds (and prolly more, i had a break so dont know) were just slight changes to the ones before (apart from experiments with single targeting) - i am personally all for trying something diffrent

P.s. i would find it real amazing if someone agreeing to my ideas, would come up with a set of stats for these - as definately i am not a stats guru and never will be

Unread 2 May 2011, 20:00   #8
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0RPH3US View Post
we had what like 200k players back in the early days ? something must have been right
Millions of kids played outside for centuries until computer games came along. Just because it was once popular doesn't mean it could still be. You are right though, something was right: timing.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote