User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 4 Mar 2010, 21:25   #1
Cowch
Moo

Cowch is on a distinguished road
The case against the lolfence

I am glad private galaxies are back, but I am concerned that they are going to be used for lolfencing and make a round that was even worse than the last one.

There are quite a few people, who I like and respect, that think the way to win a round is to "fence and value race," which I would describe more accurately as: "Play like a sissy and n00b bash." When you fence and value race, you ensure that your gal will get few incs by grabbing members of several different alliances, and then you "value race" by going out and bashing n00bs to get the most roids. The goal is to get fat and never be challenged. It doesn't work. It is the reason we wind up in huge blocks pounding our heads off of fortress gals.

So, here is why lolfencing sucks, and no one should do it:

1) When you lolfence you are deliberately not preparing for war. In fact, the goal is to avoid war. People play lots of hugz ships becasue they're good offensively,and they ignore the need to mass kill/steal ships in concentrated numbers. You think this could be avoided by fleet planning, and forsaking hugz. But you have two choices:
Fleet plan for your BP, or fleet plan for your alliance. Choose the BP and you have an alliance with a disjointed fleet that can't wage effective war. Chooseyour alliance and your BP fleet is disjointed and in-gal def becomes less effective.

2) When you "value race," you are deliberately attacking people who are no threat to you. Fine, go pound n00bs into dust. But the alliances that aren't in the lolfences are massing value, building well-planned fleets and laughing their arses off. While you're bashing n00bs, drinking beer from steins and blasting rock music from your computer speakers, your enemies are planning a raid on your galaxy. And when they raid your gal, you are up shit's creek without a paddle.

3) When you lolfence, your gal-mates aren't loyal to you. Then that raid comes, and you're gal-mates say "Sorry, but I have to offer my flee tot my alliance first," you may as well go have a beer and take a nap. You aren't getting covered tonight.

4) When you lolfence, you're left with poo targets. At some point, the n00bs have been bashed. You can go roid every planet that gets 500 roids and land three waves on them, but your enemies are landing on bigger targets. See, you lolfenced too much, so you can't attack the other lolfences or else you'll piss off your allies. Two choices are presented: bash your head off of fortresses, or bash n00bs for few roids.
Your enemies can hit lolfences. And, since there are 4 to 8 alliances in your lolfence, it doesn't look like an act of aggression against particular group. So, they hit you, and you lose 400 roids in one night. Then,
it takes you 5 days of roiding to get them back.

An when it comes to war between lolfence gals, and fortresses? When fortresses get attacked, they ground their fleets and have tons of in-gal def. When fortress alliances attack they do it with a single well-planned fleet. You attack with 40% fi/co fleets, 20% fr/de fleets and 40% cr/bs fleets, so all of their def ships are usable somewhere. They attack with 90% of one meta-class, and you can only use 1/3 of your ships to def.

So, NO FENCES PLEASE! If we fence in these private gals, we're going to wind up in a five alliance block playing catch-up. Prepare for zero-sum war!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHxIssSROjk
Cowch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Mar 2010, 21:37   #2
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of
Re: The case against the lolfence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowch View Post
awwwh man.. i was hoping for "all your base are belong to us", not some clip from 300. i want those 10 seconds back. kthnx.
Unread 4 Mar 2010, 22:02   #3
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

HaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura about

lolthread

Not a single point made any sense at all, these are all assumptions, in fact you have no experience whatsoever to tell anyone about fencing, waring or "valueracing". Unless we are talking about building value and fencing galaxies below top20 here, then you might be on to something.
HaNzI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Mar 2010, 23:38   #4
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Wow, Hanzi got obnoxious quick.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Mar 2010, 23:48   #5
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

I guess my basic head scratcher here is if lolfencing (whatever that means) doesn't work to become a top player or galaxy, then people won't do it and there is no reason to complain. If it does work then complaining about it seems silly because if it is the optimal route to success why shouldn't people follow it?

At the end of the day the success of any particular strategy other then def whoring depends a lot on what other players/galaxies/allies to do counter your strategy. Whining about the stupidity of other people's strategies seems like a poor choice, if people follow this strategy and it is indeed a poor strategy go out and make them pay by roiding and fleet catching them into the dust.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Mar 2010, 01:07   #6
Cowch
Moo

Cowch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
I guess my basic head scratcher here is if lolfencing (whatever that means) doesn't work to become a top player or galaxy, then people won't do it and there is no reason to complain.
I isn't about becoming a top player or gal. Maybe it does work for that, but I don't really care. It's about becoming a top alliance and fencing isn't going to get us there. I'm really tired of stupid blocks attacking one alliance for six weeks and getting nowhere. We can see with our own eyes what the top alliances are doing to win, and yet we're preparing for another round with fence gals. (I say lolfence because I think it's funny.)
Cowch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Mar 2010, 13:21   #7
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The thing is that sometimes it does work. Fenced galaxies often win. You don't have to go further back than, arguably, r34, or definitely r33. It can get you top planets/top galaxies. It's not a winning alliance tactic though. But there haven't been that many alliances genuinely interested in winning in a few rounds now.