User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 6 Sep 2009, 15:39   #1
berten
respect, unity, order

berten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the rough
Prelaunching Bug - game mechanics abuse

1. I'm making this post in behalf of P_D_Templar, as he is no forum person himself.

Appearantly it is possible to prelaunch your fleet before an eta research is done. If your eta-research then finnishes before the actual launch your fleet will still be launched with the original eta.

This leads to stuff like this:

Hostile
201 We have detected an open jumpgate from SMS?, located at x:x:x. The fleet will approach our system in tick 212 and appears to have 2000 visible ships.
Hostile
201 We have detected an open jumpgate from MMS?, located at x:x:x. The fleet will approach our system in tick 211 and appears to have 2100 visible ships.

2 fleets being launched in the same tick with different etas. Now i gather how you can launch a FR fleet at CR eta, but afaik CR/BS are the slowest ships in the game, and hence at the moment of the launch (tick 201) the fleet landing at tick 211 can not hold CR/BS (as it is faster then the fleet landing at tick 212)

The fleet landing 212 tough was launched in prelaunch before eta -research was done, the other one was launched after the eta-research was done.

This resulted in the following BR tick 211
Gnat 0 0 0 0 750 0 0 0
Beetle 0 0 0 0 44000 0 0 0
Viper 0 0 0 0 63049 0 0 0
Widow 0 0 0 0 8060 8060 0 0
Mosquito 0 0 0 0 5000 0 0 0
Wraith 14997 0 2301 0 0 0 0 0
Dreadnaught 25500 0 4188 0 0 0 0 0
Illusion 1300 720 1300 0 0 0 0 0
Mirage 1100 1100 1100 0 0 0 0 0
Haunt 3700 0 608 0 0 0 0 0
Buccaneer 0 0 0 0 54 54 0 0
Assassin 0 0 0 0 9405 9405 0 0
Caravel 0 0 0 0 1000 934 0 0
Totals 46597 1820 9497 0 131318 18453 0 0
Values 279462 5205 50004 0 359247 122761 0 0

(Yes, i know this is not 1 fleet attacking, the 2nd planet launching showed a similar pattern)

Now this to me seems like an obvious bug. Not so for PA supportteam appearantly:

<SpacedMonkey> seriously it's done on purpose to stop people having to work out launches. It just means you can pull this trick

Now, imo prelaunching doesn't have as intent to be able to pull this trick, it was brought into the game to be able to prelaunch.

The manual also does note this as a 'feature' in the manual

I think rather then comming up with 'tricks you can pull off' pa-team should put action into work to solve this issue. Giving popup notices when a research will be finnished before you launch, ...

I remember something like this happened in paX (you could click back in your browser and get your fleet home instantly), the people using it then I think were called bug-abusers
Unread 6 Sep 2009, 17:14   #2
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Prelaunching Bug - game mechanics abuse

That's awesome. The best thing about it is that you could've figured out that both fleets were (probably) CR if you'd bothered getting dev scans.

Sucks to be you, though, since you didn't think of that.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2009, 21:22   #3
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Hasnt it always been like this?
Unread 7 Sep 2009, 00:40   #4
HellKicker
Fook Yu
Cell-Out Champion

HellKicker is a jewel in the roughHellKicker is a jewel in the roughHellKicker is a jewel in the rough

Yeah it just takes people a few rounds to notice.

It was the same thing with the finance centre limit, wasn't it?
Unread 7 Sep 2009, 00:42   #5
Patrikc

Patrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant future

Simple fix: whenever a Traveltime research is done, any fleets not launched will be adjusted and added +1 to their prelaunch.
Patrikc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2009, 00:51   #6
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellKicker View Post
Yeah it just takes people a few rounds to notice.

It was the same thing with the finance centre limit, wasn't it?
Okay but I think 24 rounds is a bit long to only be noticing now
Unread 7 Sep 2009, 08:29   #7
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was a known thing, I have certainly been aware of it for a long time. Never really used it though, not really that much point to it.