User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 20 Jul 2012, 13:51   #1
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future
N00b-alliance

I was thinking it might be a good idea to try to pick up any NEW players (I know, there isn't many of these) by making one, or several, n00b-alliances that they can join. Each alliance must be managed by someone who volunteers to train new players in the art of PA, and the entire alliance is about teaching other how to play the game. Maybe the "quests" could direct new players in there, give everyone in there some kind of extra bonus (provided this isn't abused ofc, allow the bonus to be there as long as they are lower than a certain value or score). This special alliance can be made "immune" to attacks from the top alliances, so they won't be killed off over and over, so they can learn to play the game without constant bashing.
Hopefully, some of these players will learn the game and return next round and enter a proper alliance.
Whether or not this special alliance should have any size-limits or not, I don't know, it probably won't matter as long as the alliance is not abused by veterans. I guess there could be some special limits to the members in here, so they can't be used by pro scanners etc.
But it could be a new and more safe learning-environment...

Or this could be just another bad idea
Unread 20 Jul 2012, 15:12   #2
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of
Re: N00b-alliance

This is a good idea for one.
Just very very very hard to implent, and make working

RB Ely MISTU Angel Fusi0n 1up ToF VisioN CT FAnG ROCK
BloodyButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2012, 15:23   #3
Blue_Esper

Blue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of light

could you be a little bit more specific in what types of bonus' given to these n00b alliances, i am curious on how you suggest it won't be exploited by "veterans"
Unread 20 Jul 2012, 16:58   #4
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyButcher View Post
Just very very very hard to implent, and make working
Uhm, no?
Unread 20 Jul 2012, 16:59   #5
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Uhm, no?

Unread 20 Jul 2012, 17:06   #6
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Esper View Post
could you be a little bit more specific in what types of bonus' given to these n00b alliances, i am curious on how you suggest it won't be exploited by "veterans"
To be honest, I am not qualified to provide specific bonuses at the moment, I am not really playing the game, so I would not know what would be appropriate.
Could be as simple as an income-bonus of sorts. It doesn't really matter, it's meant as a helping hand to the otherwise doomed n00bs, and to ensure they are in an alliance that is made with one single purpose, to introduce new players to the game.

As for preventing abuse, there should be little hocus-pocus involved...I just mean to "seperate them" a bit from the "hard core universe". If they can not be touched by members of bigger alliances, they should not be able to scan them or covert-op them either in return, and that way a "veteran" can play in the n00b-alliance as much as he wants, but he won't be able to DO anything towards the "established top" anyway, hence abuse avoided.

The system could create this special alliance first, so it has a hardcoded alliance-id of 1, that's really simple.
Then the scanning-actions and launch-actions should be able to check on the alliance-id and act accordingly, by returning "As long as you are in the n00b alliance, you may not interfere with planets in the top 10 alliances" etc. Or, "You may not launch against this planet, as it is a member of the n00b alliance".

It won't be hard to implement at all, trust me. I should know.
Unread 20 Jul 2012, 17:17   #7
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

80% of the univers will always play for a good gal ranking, whne a noob land in their gal, they will get rid of it within 48 ticks

Unread 20 Jul 2012, 17:38   #8
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

I know, and that's one of the reasons why good n00b-training is in everyones interest...If the gal would know he is better "taken care of", maybe they would be less inclined to dismiss him so quickly.
Unread 20 Jul 2012, 18:17   #9
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

Quote:
I know, and that's one of the reasons why good n00b-training is in everyones interest...If the gal would know he is better "taken care of", maybe they would be less inclined to dismiss him so quickly.
You got alliance tools wich will give u the odds of getting into a certain gal by exiling these days, wich i think, underlines the problem these days.

Unread 20 Jul 2012, 18:21   #10
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

Maybe some people just want to play with people they know?

Also, there would need to be safeguards in place that would prevent your n00b alliances from attacking top 10 alliance planets (just one potential exploit).

You may as well run a 'mini round' between rounds as a way to 'train' people for the 'real thing', since with this idea you're basically creating 2 separate universes - one for learning, and one for actually playing the game.
Unread 21 Jul 2012, 00:42   #11
baggy
king of carrot flowers

baggy has a spectacular aura aboutbaggy has a spectacular aura aboutbaggy has a spectacular aura about

id run a noob alliance seriously and enjoy it. it would be fun, rewarding, eventful and funny. just point me in the righr direction.

btw, if this were to ever happen it would have to tie in with some proper advertising, even if just online. maybe do referral bonuses for 'real' players...
Unread 21 Jul 2012, 07:18   #12
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

i ran a noob alliance "the horde", some rounds back, and i was talking to appoco and co about implementing them into quests or overview message somehow
but it was refused

and i am sure i wasnt the only one to do this in the past

PA Team may have the interest to get new players to join the game, but they dont have the time/will or energy to actually implement something to make it happen

i think the outcome of my beggin back then, was the formation of that trainee channel appoco made, dont remember the name now
however that failed also

even the other alliances did rather bash the horde instead of honoring us for our deeds to the playerbase
/me waves at ascendancy

PA is about easy roids, always was and always will be

"Itīs not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2012, 08:27   #13
MiX
Who cares?

MiX has a spectacular aura aboutMiX has a spectacular aura aboutMiX has a spectacular aura about

I always feel that the best teachers for a noob are his/her galmates. I remember back in r11 that LukeyLove started playing PA and landed in the galaxy with MDK and myself. At those times people generally didnt exile actives so we kept him. Encouraged him to join HR (I think), gave advice etc etc. it was very rewarding.

It may have helped that our random had some dedication and natural talent, but I am sure that many new players can do decent with a little help.

However, since rejoining PA it seems that the culture of self-exiling/exiling has gotten extremely harsh. Any noob gets instantly exiled, and the best players self exile until they land in a galaxy that is literally FULL of only experienced players. I feel this is very bad for the game, and would like to see it changed.

In my opinion severely limiting exile/self-exile options would be a much better option. The galaxy can be a close and personal training ground for a new player.

Whatever happens, I would be totally willing to help out.
MiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2012, 08:46   #14
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

yes remove self exiling, i agree
but act faster on removing inactive shit planets from the active universe at the same time, else you ruin the game for many

"Itīs not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
Unread 21 Jul 2012, 08:48   #15
M0RPH3US
idle

maybe have a galaxy voting system, so everyone can give points to each planets
and all those points combined with xx time not logged in autoexiles

make up a weird formula on your own :P

Unread 21 Jul 2012, 09:38   #16
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If newbies check in at least once a day (more often as they get into the game), ask for advice, follow the advice given, and are regularly present in the galaxy channel for casual banter, then most people I know are more than willing to educate them.

That's not philanthropy, either. It is simply better to keep the eager newbie than it is to exile out planets from that same spot for 600 ticks in the hopes of getting a veteran.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2012, 11:25   #17
M0RPH3US
idle

when did you play the last time ?

Unread 21 Jul 2012, 11:30   #18
Knight

Knight is an unknown quantity at this point

would be a great idea, specially if the PA community can come to an agreement to not bash this ally too, gotta make it interesting for the new people.
Of course the biggest problem is that we rarely have any new players coming in at all, so that needs to be sorted out first :s

Ultores peon
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2012, 11:39   #19
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0RPH3US View Post
when did you play the last time ?
Round 35 or so? Are you arguing that it has changed significantly since then? How? Because I'd expect to see that affect other parts of the game, many of which leak out to where people who aren't playing would notice them. Think AD, or people complaining in PM. I'm not seeing those effects.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 21 Jul 2012, 12:12   #20
Reincarnate
ToF

Reincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to all

i would say the game has changed significantly since r35. it is far far far far far less competitive now.
[19:10] <coffee-> dont worry about Reincarnate he is an angry man

R1 - 9 none | R10.5 - 13 [ToF] | R14 [Reunion] | R15-17 [Subh] | R18 - 36 PA vacation | R37 [Evo] | R38 [NFI] | R39 & 40 [ToF] | R41 [Omega] | R42 - 47 [ToF][HC]
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2012, 12:18   #21
Mzyxptlk
mz.

I don't think I disagree. However, how does that make people less likely to educate the newbies in their galaxy? I don't see how that follows.
Unread 21 Jul 2012, 12:23   #22
Shev
So what?

Shev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to behold

I don't think genuinely active players are ever really repeatedly booted out of galaxies since the exile changes. They may get removed from one or two if they're really trying to build something but nowadays I'm just delighted to see someone who will come on IRC on a regular basis.

[RaH] [Mercenaries]
Shev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2012, 04:18   #23
Clouds

Clouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
This special alliance can be made "immune" to attacks from the top alliances, so they won't be killed off over and over, so they can learn to play the game without constant bashing.
Hopefully, some of these players will learn the game and return next round and enter a proper alliance.
I like this idea. In today's Planetarion, I have seen the likes of HR planets being farmed by the the top allys, whether they're farming in to a friendly fort or p-targeting.

I have had the likes of HR/PWNED/etc exile in to my galaxy, knowing that they're new/inexperienced players, yet we have kept them and trained them up, finishing the round with a decent rank and roid count. Infact they're usually one of the top players in their allys. These players have gone on to play another round, being more experienced than previously, either in the same alliance as last or in a more experienced/hardcore alliance.

I'm not being 'arrogant' when I'm saying that any 'noob' player that joins and finishes in my galaxy becomes a more experienced player, I'm just explaining that if more players were more supportive towards their inexperienced galaxy members (within reason of course – as long as they're willing to be active and learn), it would help the playerbase considerable.

It does annoy me however when your 'noob' galaxy members that you're trying to support gets farmed by friendly allys where you can't defend due to politics or when these galaxy members receive 4x more incoming hostiles than yourself (who your enemies should be focusing on).

Implementing a feature where these 'training alliances' cannot be farmed as easily is a very good idea indeed, as long as it isn't abused of course.
Clouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2012, 06:49   #24
Blue_Esper

Blue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of light

I would like to see PA introducing a bracket of say 5 alliances up and 5 alliances down of the alliance can be hit, so that the 5th alliance can hit anyone in the top 10 alliances, but the top planet can only hit 2-6, 2nd alliance 1, 3 to 7, 3rd alliance 1, 2, 4 to 8 and so on.
Unread 23 Jul 2012, 17:31   #25
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Esper View Post
I would like to see PA introducing a bracket of say 5 alliances up and 5 alliances down of the alliance can be hit, so that the 5th alliance can hit anyone in the top 10 alliances, but the top planet can only hit 2-6, 2nd alliance 1, 3 to 7, 3rd alliance 1, 2, 4 to 8 and so on.
Thats not a bad idea tbh, it would have the side effect of tempering Bashing Blocks too...

You wouldnt get all the bandwagon jumpers that you normally get...

It would possibly spell the end for the smaller hardcore alliances tho (thinking ToF and DLR) Those two can hold their own but wouldnt be able to participate in top end wars because of member count.

Maybe the option for any alliance ranked 6th or lower between tick tick 336 and 372 can opt in or out of this... that way it protects smaller alliances and still allows smaller but hardcore alliance to land on CT!!!!
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote