User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 Jun 2003, 18:17   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Application letter.... something to look over

OK... so... me and my school mate have now decided we want to go abroad to do our graduation assignment. So, we've decided to set up a application letter to send to the companies, probably in the UK.
This letter is just a draft. I tossed it together just now, and my mate writes another letter. Then tomorrow we're going to read eachothers letter and make one letter.
So probably a lot of this letter will be tossed out, or rewritten.

Anyway, I'd like you to look it over, take out obvious gramatical/spelling errors and perhaps also give tips on how to adjust the letter so that the reader gets a better view on our situation or make it "juicier".

Also, perhaps one of you can bring me into contact with a company... as like a backdoor entrance

anyway, here we go

=========================================================

Dear reader:

We are two computer engineering students from the Netherlands and in February next year we will start our graduation period. Because your company, <insert name here>, is a leader on the technological front in the area of our study we were hoping you could provide us with a graduation assignment.

Firstly, let me explain how the graduation system works in the Netherlands, as it might differ from the methods used in <insert country here>.
Our study is based on four years, three of which we spend on school. In these three years we follow theory lessons and have project-based college.
One half year of these four years we have to work in a company of our choice. I believe this can be compared with what you call the “intern period”: we work on a project inside the company for about five months. In this time we learn what a company is all about and what it means to function in such an environment.
The final half year, for which I am writing this letter, is our graduation period, which spans the final half year of our study. In this time we also work in a company that provides us with a project on which we can work for about 5 months. For this project there are a number of set goals that have to be completed by the end of those five months. The result of this project will determine whether we receive our diploma or not.

Having said that you might wonder why two students from the Netherlands are interested in spending their graduation period abroad.
We feel that spending such an important period abroad will challenge both our social skills and qualities of character, and of course with that our technical skills.
Therefore, not spending our graduation period abroad would be a missed opportunity.

As said, we are two computer engineering students at the Fontys Hogeschool in Venlo, the Netherlands. Our study encompasses programming, software engineering and also server maintenance. We started our study in September 2000 and are almost finished with the third year of our study. Our study can be compared with your <insert with what it can be compared>.

We both have experience in our field of study. Not only from our intern period, but also next to our study we are active in the technical circuit. For more details of our work experience I would like to refer to our resume which is enclosed with this letter.
Our main interest goes out to programming. We both like to undertake programming projects in our free time. We both know Java and a good deal of C/C++

I hope I have given you enough information about the reason of this writing and our technical skills, and I hope we qualify for a graduation place in your organization. If you are interested you can contact us by email (<insert email addy here>) or by telephone (<insert telephone nr here>).

Sincerely yours,

Ron Duys and Johan Janssen

=========================================================

okies... so far the letter... I'll be spending some time on my resume the coming days.

TY
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2003, 18:20   #2
bagg
Stoppit

bagg is an unknown quantity at this point
move the 4th paragraph to the start when u tell them about urselfs

that way u can miss out the 'as said,' part. terrible way to start a paragraph surely?
bagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2003, 18:30   #3
the dying puppy
Banned

the dying puppy is an unknown quantity at this point
At the college, I won first place for my cover letter and resume. And this is what I've learned about "cover letters":
DON'T WRITE IT TOO LONG!

(Don't forget to put both of yours signatures at the end, but so far so good)
the dying puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2003, 18:31   #4
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by bagg
move the 4th paragraph to the start when u tell them about urselfs

that way u can miss out the 'as said,' part. terrible way to start a paragraph surely?
Heh...
I wasn't that satisfied with the paragraph order either. K then, I'll note that down.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2003, 18:35   #5
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
You had far too much information about the Dutch graduation system. I want to about how brilliant YOU are*, not your country.

* = I obviously don't, but if we're pretending
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2003, 18:55   #6
the dying puppy
Banned

the dying puppy is an unknown quantity at this point
Dear reader:

We are two computer engineering students from the Netherlands and in February next year we will start our graduation period. Our study encompasses programming, software engineering and also server maintenance. We started our study in September 2000 and are almost finished with the third year of our study. Our study can be compared with your <insert with what it can be compared>.

We feel that spending such an important period abroad will challenge both our social skills and qualities of character, and of course with that our technical skills. Our main interest goes out to programming. We both know Java and a good deal of C/C++. Not only from our intern period, but also next to our study we are active in the technical circuit.

I hope I have given you enough information about the reason of this writing and our technical skills, and I hope we qualify for a graduation place in your organization. If you are interested you can contact us by email (<insert email addy here> ) or by telephone (<insert telephone nr here> ).

Thank you for considering us for this exciting opportunity and taking the time to read our attached resume.

Sincerely yours,

Ron Duys and Johan Janssen

Cover letters should consist of no more that three paragraphs. The first paragraph should be an introductory one.
The second paragraph is where you will give a synopsis of your background, strengths and experience as they relate to the position and hiring company.
The third paragraph should be the final one. In this section you should thank them for their consideration.

I shrunk it for you into 4 paragraphs.
the dying puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2003, 19:33   #7
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Application letter.... something to look over

Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
. We both know Java and a good deal of C/C++
that bit.

needs redoing

any idiot can 'know' java and C, C++.

i'd word it more like
Quote:
we have both x months of experience with java and C++, creating programs to do X etc
just to sort of qualify it a bit more, say what you've done with the languages etc, how long for , blah blah.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 13:31   #8
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
I got as far as the netherlands and though fk it. I don't want these people.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 13:58   #9
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
I got as far as the netherlands and though fk it. I don't want these people.
same